Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shawny

Shallow World Dev thread

Update 17.1.2022
- Some minor texture/geometry fixes

- Few "lower tier" secrets got additional hints for better secret hunting

- Tweaked progression in map02
  (the switch that opens the bars is now loacted in the room opposite of it for better clarity)
- Map09 secrets changes
  Swapped box of rockets for invisibility in "secret 1"
  Added new secret with box of rockets
- "Free" automap was added to Map09
- Added Map11
  (Map08 was planned but after few drafts the map didn´t "click" so for the time being it was paused)

Map11
Ceiling of stars

Music: Risk by Stewboy

Screenshots:

Spoiler

CoS1.jpg

CoS2.jpg

CoS3.jpg

Cos4.jpg

CoS5.jpg

Edited by Shawny : Added Map09 changes

@dei_eldren
As I mentioned on YT I really appreciate the playthrough.
Quite happy with the balance, I even thought about cutting some HP pickups, but at in the end decided not to.
Still thinking about removing the invincibility sphere after picking up the red key. (You never took/noticed that one.)
Changes made after I watched the VOD:

• Added light near the door to the "communications room" for better signposting.
  • Fixed map name on the automap.

Patch notes:
General

• Added graphics (menu screen, logo etc.).
  • End of episode now has intermission text.
  • Started process of renaming the wad as Shallow World.

Map03

• Starting room was changed with "better" scripting.
    Now even on single player both choices are visible and are more obvious.
    In coop a one time teleporter should open and let the 1st player make the choice.
    (Suggested by multiple people).

Map04

• End of the map was extended and revs on the edge will now be accessable.
    This also made a pretty decent 1-way shortcut to the storage area.
    (This was a great suggestion by @FrancisT218 .)

Map05

• Openable bars are now doors because most people never figured out they can be open.
    Texture changed to shawn variantions.
    This may be changed again if players won´t figure out that is indeed a door.

Map06

• Some switches were added/adjusted to better represent their funcions.
  • Fixed unintended button press after Jimmy stream earlier this evening. (13.2.2022 fix)
    (Because my self quality ensurence is off the charts. Then again, that was not game breaking.)

Map09

• Tiny HP rebalance on all difficulties to better smooth out the difficulty curve.
    (Strongly suggested by @Terminus .)

This changes will be added in the next patch.
(Still thinking about doing both maps and finalize E1. Depends on how the mapping goes.
As it stands I am flip-flopping between both map10 and map08 so only time will tell)

In the meantime I will not update the first post with the new link, however for those who want
to test the latest version with all the changes above I will post the link here.
Thank you all for your support.

Also due to lack of MAPINFO of MAP08 and MAP10 intermission 2 plays after map07 and 09 in GZDoom.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Updated link
Shallow world E1 13.2.2022 (Map06 fix)

Edited by Shawny : Map and download link update.

Since 2022 is going "so well" thus far I decided I should hurry the hell up with project (at least E1).
As I mentioned in the previous post, my plan is to complete both remaining maps (MAP08 and MAP10).
Planned release is end of march.

And with that out of the way I have some quite early screenshots from the editor to share.
Most of the layout and some detailing is done in both.

Spoiler

WIP-1.jpg

WIP-2.jpg

WIP-3.jpg

Wip-4.jpg

WIP-5.jpg

WIP-6.jpg

Soft lock in Map01. No clue on how to find any of the secrets.

Found secret 1 just fine after the softlock incident.

Good freaking luck getting secret number 2. Opened it in Slade just to find it and I don't see that one happening naturally without prior knowledge.

Screenshot_2022-04-03_17-52-23.png.e0345c0665a84a14700779516d955d53.png

Edited by kalensar : needed to add info

14 hours ago, kalensar said:

Soft lock in Map01.

Oh yeah... I am both shocked and not surprised at the same time that I managed to have such softlock for like 2 years.
Thank you.

Newest build with map01 fix 4.4.2022
For everyone who managed to read this far, here is a link to the current build with MAP01 fix. Including MAP10.
MAP08 is like 75% done. I was hoping to have E1 out already, but alas... Hopefully next week since I managed to do some more work on the final E1 map.

Patch notes:

General

• Added MAP10 (awaiting testing, some changes may occur with the release patch)
  • Cleaner automap ("unused" lines are now hiddden for less bloated map with "automap powerup")
  • Some slight changes to lighting (mostly sector lamps now have transfer ceiling/floor light level for cleaner look)
  • Each exit trigger line is now signposted by floating exit sign
    (frequent mention by testers was that exit wasn´t always obvious)
  • New credit screen (because I managed to misspell 3 names, my English is as good as my self quality control)
  • Changes in music selection. Some was shuffled, one was removed and some was added
  • Intermission screen was proofread and edited by MarketAnarchy (special thanks)
  • Slight logo adjustment

Map01

• Fixed soflock by the elevator mentioned by previous post
  • Some slight visual changes (gameplay remains the same)

Map11

• Sniper enemies near the rocket launcher now teleport after a certain conditions are met

Map10

Refuelling and transit station
Music: Hydrocarbon by AD_79

Screenshots

Spoiler

Refuelling1.jpg

Refuelling2.jpg

Refuelling3.jpg

Refuelling4.jpg

Refuelling5.jpg

Edited by Shawny : Added information and screenshots

EPISODE 1 RELEASE build
EPISODE 1 TEST/BETA BUILD

Updated/released 13.4.2022

Patch notes:
General

• Added MAP08 that finishes the episode
  • Texture fixes, adjustments.
  • Fixed MAP04 soflock similar to MAP01

Map08
Lies

Music: Ice by Jimmy

Screenshots

Spoiler

Lies-1.jpg

Lies-2.jpg

Lies-3.jpg

Lies-4.jpg

To do:

• Fix any issues found in the future
  • Test mod compatibility/more testing in general
  • Revamp par times

Just played through it and enjoyed quite a bit. Again a few too many revenants for my liking, but the level design and progression make up for that :) The idea for map 8 is pretty cool and yes, I fell for the BFG ;)

It's gotta be one of the most tasteful wads made entirely with vanilla textures. The maps are wonderfully referencing Hell On Earth while doing their own thing. I find it really pleasant to play, and not just because I've had a few days of break from this game. I'm truly excited for the next maps, especially with the upcoming injection of additional textures, which I approve. 

And especially big thanks for letting me play Shallow World maps by importing them from Gzdoom.

18 hours ago, TheCyberDruid said:

Just played through it and enjoyed quite a bit. Again a few too many revenants for my liking, but the level design and progression make up for that :) The idea for map 8 is pretty cool and yes, I fell for the BFG ;)

I tried to make that BFG as sketchy as possible. :-D
I am happy you enjoyed your time. And yeah, revs are mostly my go to, especially with more limited roster.

16 hours ago, game said:

It's gotta be one of the most tasteful wads made entirely with vanilla textures. The maps are wonderfully referencing Hell On Earth while doing their own thing. I find it really pleasant to play, and not just because I've had a few days of break from this game. I'm truly excited for the next maps, especially with the upcoming injection of additional textures, which I approve. 

And especially big thanks for letting me play Shallow World maps by importing them from Gzdoom.

Very much appreciated. The point of the project was pretty much that, good to see that final product reflects that.
Wonderful to hear that flow of the maps is good, that (layout and gameplay) was the priority even though the maps are, arguably, on the easier side.
I want to keep the custom textures to minimum, that being said I will definitely use some urban textures and some snowy maps are planned as well.

The bonus maps are from the "original Shallow world project" back when I was mapping in UDMF by default. Some time after
that I realized Boom has most features I really need in mapping, so I canned the project and moved on.
And after some mapping I decided to use the original name and revamp the old maps into Boom rather than using name Re-Doom2

since it didn´t really fit nature of the project.
Most people expecting something else and my ambitions were also kinda changing during development .
MAP05 was adapted from what is now MAP33 and I plan to do the same for MAP34 at some point.
I kept these old ones in as "legacy" content as I they, in the original form, are no longer needed, but are still part of the wad... kinda.

I also want to thank you for words of encouragement/liking the post, that helped me stay motivated and focused on the mapset.

Thanks for playing, hope you all had/have/will have a good time playing this.
And of course, any feedback would be appreciated.

Edit: Watching a playtest video right now, MAP08 has a ceiling/floor missaligned section.
(Doing last minute changes without proper testing is bad). Added to do list and will be fixed next patch.

Edited by Shawny : Editing rather than posting another comment.

Thanks for letting me know about your mapset, Shawny!  Overall it was quite impressive - the maps were detailed and the setups were more involved as the episode progressed with some truly interesting encounters.  I had a few comments in the vod but hopefully the feedback is helpful and not nitpicky.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes.

3 hours ago, Vile said:

Thanks for letting me know about your mapset, Shawny!  Overall it was quite impressive - the maps were detailed and the setups were more involved as the episode progressed with some truly interesting encounters.  I had a few comments in the vod but hopefully the feedback is helpful and not nitpicky.  I'm definitely looking forward to seeing where this goes.

Thanks for playing. Will watch the vod asap. I had a feeling I am going to miss the stream due to the timezones...
On the bright side the playthrough is more "honest" without me commenting on everything.

I played it and I really like it, especially the first 2 levels. All the levels have stunning architecture!

@Vile Hey, so I watched the playthrough. Had a great time watching it. In fact, I am downloading it right now and minting it as NFT. (JK)

First of all - yes, the mapset is made with both pistol starts and continuous play in mind as you corretly deducted.
Cells in few first maps, both secret/non secret, are intented for use with the early BFGs you get from secrets in MAP01/MAP05.
I think of it like BFG from DOOM (2016) where you had limited ammo. You have like 1 - 2 shots per map until like MAP06, after that
cells are more common and you also can get your first plasma gun.

I fancy that idea, but I also see why people would not like that, especially finding cell in a secret that is worthless pistol starting.
So yeah, that one is take it or leave it, I guess. That makes some interesting contrast between PS/Con play IMO.
For example MAP06 when you killed the SM before you started the crusher and arachnotrons were released. If you started the cruhser without/before
killing her, the door would never open and the arachnotrons would have gotten crushed along with her.
Playing PS you normally don´t have resources (early) to kill her.
And by killing her game "assumes" that you play continuous and you get to deal with arachnotrons instead of her.
Anyways...

The exit signs were added not too long ago as one of the earliest feedback I got was that the exit doors are not always so obvious and people
sometimes accidentaly left the level early. So I decided to add an exit sign to every exit trigger... it makes faking the exit a bit dodgy, though. ;-D

MAP03 - Yup, the map plays a bit differently depending on what weapon you choose at the start. Though it is designed in a way you can max the map
             (including items) regardless. I may want to design a shortcut at the end if possible rather than have player to backtrack around the map.

MAP05 - I noticed a sector floor lamp where I forgot to transfer ceiling brightness. Will be fixing that.

MAP06 - Good job grabbing that blursphere. Need to fix that...

MAP08 - Along moving that one area of the map to properly allign the floor and ceiling textures I will be adding light sectors where the supplies are.
             Because yes, there is ammo and stuff in the red stone arena, I just got a bit carried away with making the place look really dark... again.
             I also MAY steal that 3 keys door idea. :-D
             Also, that definitely not sketchy BFG. LUL
             (It is technically a one time secret, but you can tag it without getting the BFG as you found out.)

MAP09 - Those candles were added just recently as a hint, mostly because one needs to trust in candles.
             The usefulness of that secret blurshphere is like 50/50 since there is A LOT of distant hitscanners/hitscanners in general, but there is also
             other stuff that is not so blurshpere friendly.

I am really happy you liked it, even though the set it is much easier than you are usualy used to.
Also, there is MAP33 and 34 in UDMF format if you want a bit more, although MAP33 is the "early" version of MAP05...
(Or rather MAP05 is revamped version of, what is now, BONUS MAP33 and MAP34 is planned to be redesigned and reused later.)
Both are part of the "original project", but only 2 maps were ever created for that, mostly because shortly after that I realized mapping
in BOOM suits me better. Or BOOM having MOST of the mapping features I really want.

Edited by Shawny

Thanks for all of the info, @Shawny :) I did regret not waiting until I knew you were watching before starting the set but I'm glad you enjoyed the vod and got useful feedback.

I see what you mean about the BFG and cells for continuous play.  I think since I mostly consider maps from pistol starts or "IL" demos these days, it could be awkward if there are required secrets with stuff that can't be used in the IL, but I understand wanting to create something that benefits continuous play as well, as long as it doesn't go too far and the levels can still be reasonably completed from pistol start and these levels played just fine that way.

I liked that the challenge ramped up by the end, as the beginning levels were very open and felt underpopulated, but after completing the whole set, I think it worked well with the increasing difficulty curve.

Anyway, yeah this was a great set, so thanks again for letting me know about it!

Since it was almost a week and no more feedback is coming my way, it´s time for RC patch.

Patch notes:
General:

• All mid-tex exit signs are now transparent.
  • All par times are now balanced around pistol starts and getting 100% kills and secrets.
    (All are possible to get with efficient routing in non-linear map, they are balanced around my best times + few seconds to spare.)
  • Added "Test/Beta build feedback" with 2 names to the credit screen

Map03

• Fixed brightness transfer for some sector lamps.
  • Added a shortcut after player gets out of the nukage room with the yellow key.
    (A step will now appear after player gets out of the yellow key room.)

Map05

• Fixed brightness transfer for some sector lamps.

Map08

• Section of the map that was missalligned is now fixed.
  • Spots with supplies in the red stone arena are now brighter.
  • Added an "effect" after opening the three keys door.
    (Thanks Vile.)

Map11

• Adjusted timing of the central switch so that scripted sequence is less dramatic, but quicker.

Download link (also updated first post)

Shallow World E1 RC

(This may be the only RC before uploading to IDGAMES, depending on feedback and internal testing.)

With no external testing coming my way and with internal testing done, this is the final patch for E1.
This version was also uploaded to IDGAMES. Any further changes to E1 will be implemented when/if another episode releases.

Patch notes:
General

• Several visual fixes and minor adjustment (texture alligments, textures changes, adding imapassable lines etc.)
  • Transparent EXIT signs now have pass actions so player can exit maps proper in non ZDoom ports.

MAP06

• Conveyour belt at the start was adjusted to work better with different ports and mods.

MAP10

• Minor visual update to the tubes room near the red key area.

Tested and working MODs.

• Supercharge (GZDoom 4.7.0)
  • High noon drifter (GZDoom 4.7.1)
  • Trailblazer (GZDoom 4.7.0)
  • Naku Naru (GZDoom 4.7.0) - personal recommendation
  • Vesper (DSDA doom 0.24.3) - personal recommendation
  • Dead marine (GZDoom 4.7.0) - forgot to mention in the .txt file

Mods that use satisfying "bullets" weapons work pretty well - like Vesper and Naku Naru

Mods that change monster properties are most likely to break stuff. D4V comes to mind.

Finalized build download
Shallow World E1

(First post was updated with current build link)

Just played this and really enjoyed it! Good work. Some of the levels have some really nice surreal space stuff going on.