Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Kam Tovalski

"Turn OFF - Turn ON" - the Ultimate DOOM Map ready for testing. (Final Update: V1.3)

[Yeah, I gift you with many works since yesterday (today is 20th of Oct.)]
Lastest map ->TOFF-TON-V1.3.rar

I cannot place more screenshots: 4MB limit :(

Hello Everyone!
Few days ago I got some blast of mapping - 2 maps made in 3 days.
One of them I want to show to you.

This is "Turn OFF - Turn ON" - Probably the Opening Level for Shareware-like episode of "The Descent of Evil: First Strike".

This is Doom Fomat, (not UDMF, sorry) no crouching, jumping, etc.

Difficulty levels variety provided. 

Tested in GZDoom and CrispyDoom (custom music didn't run in Crispy though).

Custom music: "Where Izit" by Lee Jackson.

Tuesday, 10AM, UAC Base.

Researchers finish their concept of interstellar teleporter.

- Gentlemen, I guess we are ready to lauch our sweet machine. Wanna try this? - said one of them.

- Of course, comrade. - replied the rest of them.

Few buttons have been pressed, some passwords, recipe for banana bread for security purposes...

Only Triangular Blue Button left to give humanity a chance of colonisation other stars.

Main researcher, with majesty, pressed last button annnnnnd... nothing happend.

-Hmm, strange.

- Maybe turn off and turn on. - some suggested.

- Can you check a computer panel out? - somebody asked you.

- Sure, whateva. - you said.

While you were buse with thousands of wires, sudden blast came from teleporter through whole room.

Due to this blast some device fell on your head and you lost consciousness.

When you woke up, you saw massacred bodies of your co-workers.

Then you realised, this is their FIRST STRIKE.

117313294_Zrzutekranu(36).png.b12df78f98161d3084c8387db4ceb67d.png1316636287_Zrzutekranu(38).png.91b2a8fc56b85a6e41c6eb90fdc8fe9f.png

Edited by TOVA

Honestly not too bad of a basic map. Some of the texture usage here is a little wonky and could do with being cleaned up but this isn't too bad of a level.

For some reason Vanilla doesn't like this map which confuses me as this map seems like it would be nearly 100% vanilla compatible (though that could just be chocolate DooM throwing a tantrum again :P).

The difficulty here is fairly easy and the rad suit seems almost worthless since you're never in an ares where you need to run across slime. :l

Overall a fine and playable map. :)

5 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Honestly not too bad of a basic map. Some of the texture usage here is a little wonky and could do with being cleaned up but this isn't too bad of a level.

For some reason Vanilla doesn't like this map which confuses me as this map seems like it would be nearly 100% vanilla compatible (though that could just be chocolate DooM throwing a tantrum again :P).

The difficulty here is fairly easy and the rad suit seems almost worthless since you're never in an ares where you need to run across slime. :l

Overall a fine and playable map. :)

Thank you for your feedback.
The only usage of radsuit is one of secrets covered with radiation, where you get green armor, chaingun and backpack, useful for future single segment run. 

This map has been updated to version 1.2

Changes:
- Made new ledges to add turret-like enemies.
- Add new secret area.
- New details and objects.
- Variety in terms of lights.

TOFF-TON-V1.2.rar (but this is not lastest one)

Click "Spoiler" below to see screenshots.

Edited by TOVA

It's an alright map, especially for a beginner and using ROTT music is always a win in my book ;^) Everything's pretty straightforward, but the combat's isn't much write home about. You've definitely put in the effort with your texture work and it has the E1 techbase kind of feel to it that I can appreciate for sure. You say this is your second map in just 3 days eh? Love the enthusiasm, but don't be afraid to take your time. The best maps that are revered by the community were carved up over weeks, if not months so bear in mind that you could easily take all the time you need to craft a map with fully-realised ideas. This definitely ranks up among the top of the newbie maps I've played so far this year and I see a lot of promise. I recommend this video by Doomkid so you can better understand classic pitfalls beginners find themselves in and how to avoid them. Anyways, there's some nice stuff here. I'd love to see more from you, fam.

Turn OFF - Turn ON

Ultra-Violence mode || GZDoom || ROTT

*Deaths: 0

*Saves: none

Screenshot_Doom_20201021_081628.png.82aecc8301ec05a66587ce5a0294ba56.png

Screenshot_Doom_20201021_081642.png.7e6c564833632852ad50bcd92bdaf9e0.png

The map was very interesting, I really liked everything I saw, and for some reason, in certain parts I had felt a good essence to the ROTT game, I just don't remember the levels to make it similar, but anyway, with what it is visually, the map does not disappoint at all, in truth that the various textures, the somewhat darkened room in the background to the right, the labyrinth of technological objects, and the end with that long road that is surrounded by toxic soils, makes everything in The map has been quite worth playing, it really comes as a surprise to me what can be achieved in maps for an IWAD such as Doom 1.

Now in the difficulty, it is well achieved for me, I mean, in most of the game I spent it only using the 2 pistols against all the Hitscanners and Imps that I had encountered throughout the area, it was really hard to progress with both weapons Due to the fact that the Hitscanners were lowering my health through shots, as is the case with the Shotgunners, fortunately there was a lot of health throughout the map, which I am very grateful for that generosity, and finally, almost Finally, having almost killed all those demons, in a secret I managed to find the MP40, with which I ended up finishing the rest of the monsters that I was missing in the room, something dark in the background to the right, a little late to enjoy the weapon but hey, better late than never. In conclusion, very good map, very good development of structure and design, although they do not look revolutionary, and very good position of enemies and difficulty too, although perhaps it was my fault that last thing for using only 2 pistols haha, anyway the I had a great time, I had fun, and I really enjoyed the tour and the killing, very good job, partner :-)

Edited by ElPadrecitoCholo

3 minutes ago, TOVA said:

@Clippy Thank you for your playtest. Yeah, last secret was medium/hard difficulty XD

yeah I wasn't expecting a secret to only be obtainable at the end making it useless for the current map but good if you were playing through to further maps :) overall I had fun playing this and finding the interesting ways you hid the secrets

@Clippy Basically, I'd like to make an episode (this is level 1) friendly for pistol-starters as well as for continuous runners. When I'll make all 9 levels I'll try to balance it.