Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LucidLocomotive

Is it cheating to use the quicksave in the DOOM 64 re-release? (Details inside)

So I have OCD, so with Doom 64, I have a dillema. If I see a zombieman standing next to a barrel, and it looks like the developer intended for me to gib him with that barrel, and I miss and kill him with my gun... I can’t move on until I get it right. So I’ll load up my quicksave but the I’m thinking wait a minute, this game didn’t have a quicksave when it came out, so damn you know? Do I start the whole level over? Sheeee-it. 

If we considered it cheating, you wouldn't be able to do it freely. 

As it has already been pointed out, if it's a feature of the game, it's not cheating. The fact that the original version didn't have it doesn't really matter.

Anyway, I'll go ahead and say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with cheating in a single player game. Cheating is only a bad thing when it gives you an unfair advantage over other players, which is not the case when you're playing all by yourself. Of course, you might want to avoid cheating because it can make the game less fun, but you shouldn't feel bad about doing it.

saves and savestates are perfectly fine (unless your doing a serious non TAS speedrun that you plan to share with internet) 

I like to use saves and savestates in games sometimes 

Yes, its cheating. Dont use it.
And also, dont use a mouse, its a cheating too. Same goes for keyboard. And for PC. Backport re-lelease to Nintendo 64 to not feel yourself a cheater.

Spoiler

If you really have OCD, answers from forum wont help you to just save/load game.

Seriously, what?

Stop worrying about what other people think about you, especially about something so ludicrously trivial. As others said, features aren't cheats. Your game. Play it how you wish. If anyone gives you grief, tell them to message me and I will tell them in great detail how much they can fuck off including directions, recommended speed, refreshment stops, and sites they can see on their way to fucking off.

4 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Seriously, what?

Stop worrying about what other people think about you, especially about something so ludicrously trivial. As others said, features aren't cheats. Your game. Play it how you wish. If anyone gives you grief, tell them to message me and I will tell them in great detail how much they can fuck off including directions, recommended speed, refreshment stops, and sites they can see on their way to fucking off.

Oh im not worried about other people at all, its more like my own mind and what some part of it in the back of my mind thinks affecting my enjoyment of the game if it feels like ive been doing it wrong

5 hours ago, Murdoch said:

Seriously, what?

Got nothing else to say. Don't allow others to persuade you into playing your game the way they want you to.

1 minute ago, seed said:

Got nothing else to say. Don't allow others to persuade you into playing your game the way they want you to.

This has nothing to do with others! Its my own mind that can hinder my enjoyment lol

I'm the same way.. I can't stand newer games with improved graphics.  All my games are ancient.. I havn't owned a "new" game in a long time.  I'm also against blue ray discs which I think DVD or VHS is way better.

I save every time when playing EP5 sigil (like every step of movement it seems) on H.M.P difficulty only because I had a 6-7 layoff trying to find something online so I don't get dizzy playing the game. These ginger pills & anti-vertigo / dizzyness travel pills are working good.  I can play for hours now.

Once I master H.M.P I won't need to save as much, but it's still hard.. got to get rid of that rust first and get my A+ game skills back.

I feel wonderful now that I can play one of my childhood games without problems, no words can describe it. 

5 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

Oh im not worried about other people at all, its more like my own mind and what some part of it in the back of my mind thinks affecting my enjoyment of the game if it feels like ive been doing it wrong

Then (and I mean this as nicely as possible) get over yourself :) Like I said, your game. You do you. It is supposed to be fun. Stop overthinking.