Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZeMystic

If you were to add any monster in DOOM Classic.

The DOOM II bestiary is a work of art, being recognizable from a distance. You've heard the spiel before, so I'm not gonna continue preaching what you already know.

If you were to add any monster in DOOM Classic, what would it be? What would it look like, what does it do, etc?

Baphomet of course. he could summon demons like the IoS but have SM and Cyberdemon attacks. He would be a boss most likely.

Also, a giant lizard for sewer levels whos shadow haunts you, like a spectre, but you can only kill the shadow by killing the lizard. 

another one could be one of those teleporting imps from Doom 4 1.0.

a rocket zombieman with low health, but crazy attacks. (actually with all the weapons really. even a punching zombieman or chainsaw zombieman would be cool)

Satan. he can teleport, spawn demons (even SM and Cyberdemons) and he has all the attacks of every enemy. also like the lizard, you can only damage him by hitting his goons (maybe like every arch-vile dead is minus 1000 health.) he can also disappear for a while, and you have to face off his demons.

There are literally 10000000000000000000000000000000 more, but I'll stop here. 

A Predator-styled medic enemy that cloaks (and invulnerable to most damage except splash) while roaming round in fast speed and can heal enemies fast (10-50% depending on tier) would actually be nice.

You don't have to add, but just change existing.

SM can be smaller. Barons can be more unique in their behavior so the addition of weaker Hell Knights don't make them worse clones. There you have it an immediately better selection of demons.

DooM roster is quite well rounded and covers most of the gameplay aspects, so it's quite hard to come up with some type of monster that would bring something new to the game.
There could be an enemy that throws grenades, that bounce around and stay on the ground for a while before exploding, bringing some new dynamic to the game. You have to look around and remember where the grenades are.
Some more difficult flying enemy wouldn't be bad. Something with quite strong attack that is still possible to dodge, but since it's flying it can surprise and chase player much better. Visually maybe something in style of Doomhunter from Eternal, which I know doesn't fly, but it should.

Maybe Hell-Knights to calm down the overuse of Barons. I don't really want to tamper with that game too much. The game is already perfect for what it set out to do. 

Well, I would add as many as possible as long the behavior is different and their look is distinctive enough haha

With dehacked there's not much options, although I've enjoyed a lot the Frozen Cacodemon from Evilternity, due to the sprint move before releasing the mancubus projectiles. I used it as an inspiration for both of custom enemies from my next wad: Hellion, which shots 3 plasma projectiles while moving himself and Hierophant, that moves faster and attacks when it receives damage.

more melee only monsters! 

A hell-knight tier melee monster should be fun for some maps.

At least one hard boss-type enemy, like those you'd find in Wolf3D.

A low-HP flying monster, and a dangerous low-HP non-hitscan monster. Basically some variant within the broader archetypes of Ancient Aliens's additions. :P 

Edited by rdwpa

Vanilla Doom 2 needs Nightmare Imps.

• The only lower-mid tier enemy we have are pinkies, and they can't pressure you from afar. 
  • We don't have a monster that throws fast projectiles that aren't rapid (Arachnotron) and don't absolutely delete your health (Cyberdemon).
  • Adds needed variety. You could substitute some of your Imp closets for smaller Nightmare Imp closets, for example.
  • They're cool.

They are a super underrated addition to Doom 64.

Fortunately, it's easy to make them, you need a WAD, WhackEd 4 and Slade, what monster am i talking about? The Lost Spectre (or something like that)

A Lost Soul with the Spectre's fuzz that is much more powerful and faster.

I know it's a bad monster and pretty weak, but i'm not good at that regard, i prefer making maps.

A suicide bombing creature, as it is one of the few monster archetypes found in many other classic first person shooters (Descent 2's Omega Defense Spawn, Duke Nukem 3D's Sentry Drones, Shadow Warrior's Coolies, Marathon's Simulacra, Quake's Tarbabies, Serious Sam's Beheaded Kamikazes, etc) that is entirely absent in Doom.

•Replace the Spider Mastermind with a boss-type enemy called the "Gate Overseer", slightly more hitpoints than the SMM and both hitscan and projectile-based.

It would look pretty much unique, like some four-meter dark gothic knight-like demon with two pairs of wings and an enormous Argent energy-like greatsword on one arm and a machinegun on the other.

He would be pretty much challenging and make its use much more unique instead of spamming it on every map just because it is cool or has a big hitbox.

-Swing his sword unleashing three energy swings, similar to the Cyberdemon's three-missile volley of death

-Bury the sword in the ground causing a shockwave of completely red flames, AOE damage.

-Small precise three-shot bursts from his machine, low constant damage.

-One of his most powerful attacks is raising the hand he holds the sword with and do a short incantation, opening one to four portals in order tu summon enemies.

-Probably his most powerful attack would be plainly opening a gate to hell and wrecking everything because why not?

yes.

•A higher-tier Imp which can fire either two or three fireballs on a spread mode or a short line of fire, equal HP than a pinky and slightly faster than a Mancubus

•Replace the Baron of Hell with a more unique enemy instead of a recolour, probably an armoured minotaur which can do weak stomps and fire purpleish energy which does constant damage over time.

•A demon nest basically.

I said this in a similar topic:

”As far as new monsters go, most of Doom II's new monsters were scaled down bosses from OG Doom (Baron -> Hell Knight, Cyberdemon -> Mancubus, Spiderdemon -> Arachnotron), so either a scaled down IoS (stationary enemy that spawns other enemies, but that can be killed in a more direct manor) or even just a general enemy that spawns lesser mofos would be fitting. Another cool new enemy would be one that does area-denial attacks, spawning damaging flames or something that burn for a while in a set area before going out. Imagine fighting an enemy that does that while fighting archviles or revenants - the experience would be totally different! Then of course a couple of new bosses - probably one comparable in health and difficulty to the Spiderdemon and Cyberdemon - HellForged's Behemoth is a good example of what this could be.

As far as custom enemies that would fit well, I've also found the D3 Wraith, Shadow, and Soul Harvester to feel like pretty natural extensions of the Doom beastiary. The D3 Wraith's ability to teleport is especially interesting.”

A reptilian-esque demon that can slap you with it's tail from a short range and a scratch attack when you get too close and personal.

Or another plasma based enemy.

Just a straight up troll enemy would be good.  A Lost Soul type of enemy that has an insane amount of HP, but does absolutely 0 damage to the player.  Just exists to get in the player's way and block their shots. 

a count of hell, like a hell knight but with even less hp and also is just wearing a thong instead of the trousers

1 hour ago, Maser said:

Just a straight up troll enemy would be good.  A Lost Soul type of enemy that has an insane amount of HP, but does absolutely 0 damage to the player.  Just exists to get in the player's way and block their shots. 

Pinkies are basically this

2 hours ago, yakfak said:

a count of hell, like a hell knight but with even less hp and also is just wearing a thong instead of the trousers

A urien thong?.

Give every monster a 5% chance to spawn invisible like the Spectres.

As for a new enemies:

1. Some monster (500-600 HP), which gets more resistant with every subsequent instance of damage it takes from the same source (hitscan, rocket, plasma). The damage reduction stacks (~2% per stack), persists indefinitely and is capped at 80% Meaning that a single full Super Shotgun Blast will give it 40% damage reduction to any future hitscan attacks. In case of the SSG the damage reduction affects every pellet separately (the first deals 5-15 normally, 2nd has its damage reduced by 2%, 3rd has its damage reduced by 4% etc.). But high powered single shot weapons like the Rocket Launcher or the main BFG projectile will still deal nearly full damage.

2. Another enemy would be similar to Mancubus in that it launches multiple projectiles at once, but the pattern is completely randomized for every volley (just like what you get when you have the Partial Invisibility), making dodging more reactionary and less mechanical. It would have less HP (~350) and a bit slower projectiles to compensate for the randomness and to make dodging possible.

3. The last idea would be a melee only teleporting enemy, which would randomly teleport anywhere within a certain radius of the player 1 second after entering the pain state (so it could still be painlocked). It would be immobile and unable to attack for 2 seconds after teleporting. 208 HP, high pain chance (90+%). The 208 HP is intentional, so that a direct rocket hit with a roll of 80 damage or above kills it but the 8 additional HP can still help it survive a Super Shotgun blast, resulting in a guaranteed teleport.

1 hour ago, Mangcubus said:

Pinkies are basically this

Yeah, but what if they got the invulnerability sphere??

DOOM10.png.7fa51e5567c88f379c9c08fe8c58b16a.png

Bam, fit the description way better

(Why do I have random stuff like this just lying around in my files, instead of being productively used in something!?)

16 minutes ago, Alper002 said:

Why do I have random stuff like this just lying around in my files, instead of being productively used in something!?

Because it is cursed.

Former human civilians.

Melee zombiemen that are slower and take up more space than demons (used in large numbers), that don't drop anything. There would be very little incentive to kill them, but they would control space and apply slow pressure.

I think a suicide bomber would be good too. Doesn't Rekkr have exploding enemies? A barrel on legs would create some interesting situations.