Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LucidLocomotive

Were people originally meant to play the Fun Levels before the main campaign in Doom 64?

Recommended Posts

Because you lose the features menu if you quit the game and reload from a password, and you unlock the features menu after beating the first level. So did they intend for you to play the first level, then the secret level, then the 3 fun levels, and then the main campaign after the 3rd fun level takes you back to level 1? I am thinking this must be the case, since for some reason the 3rd fun level exits back into level 1, instead of just taking you back to the menu like the other fun levels. I'm playing it on PS4 and I was planning on playing the fun levels after beating the campaign, but now I tried the password system to load my game, and all it did was make the features menu go away, and now I am loading it back again from the load game menu and I still don't have it, so I will have to go all the way back and start a new game in order to get the features menu back. This is really bullshit and making me wonder why they made it like this, or how they intended you to play it. 

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, Gerardo194 said:

Yes!! When you finish Playground, it takes you to the first level. 

so they intended for people to play the fun levels before the main game?

Share this post


Link to post

That totally makes sense, Gerardo!

You opened my mind to a lot of new meanings!

Thank you, pal!!!

Share this post


Link to post
36 minutes ago, LucidLocomotive said:

but now I tried the password system to load my game, and all it did was make the features menu go away,

No that's just a bug on our end. Though originally the features menu didn't stay unlocked between resets anyway (because Controller Paks were expensive so not every game was designed to use them as a primary function). The fun levels were just meant to be weird levels to discover if you ever unlocked the features menu, don't overthink it.

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

That totally makes sense, Gerardo!

You opened my mind to a lot of new meanings!

Thank you, pal!!!

I am confused is this an inside joke or somethin??

Share this post


Link to post

Nah, i think they were just a reward for finding map32.

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, LucidLocomotive said:

yeah exactly and that's after the very first level

Yes but i don't think the developers intended for you to find it, atleast not on your first playthrough.

Share this post


Link to post

Im just trying to do a single, canon, complete play through. And everything was fine from Ultimate Doom all the way through Plutonia, until this game came along and is so effin stressful with the way its designed. I wish they just didn't even have these fun levels or secret features menu, especially if its just going to disappear when you load a game

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

I am confused is this an inside joke or somethin??

 

2 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

Im just trying to do a single, canon, complete play through. And everything was fine from Ultimate Doom all the way through Plutonia, until this game came along and is so effin stressful with the way its designed. I wish they just didn't even have these fun levels or secret features menu, especially if its just going to disappear when you load a game

It was a joke and not.

This maps, Hectic and the fun levels, might be seen, if you place them before map01 as a dream Doomguy had about the endless torture to come. You knowbthat people with PTSD have reocurring dreams/nightmares about their traumas.

And if you place them after map30: the absolution, they could be seen a the endless torture doomguy have to face after deciding to stay in hell. Like a prequel to Doom64, a sequel to Doom64, and a prequel to the lost levels.

 

6 hours ago, Edward850 said:

The fun levels were just meant to be weird levels to discover if you ever unlocked the features menu, don't overthink it.

or like Edward850, member of Nightdive, the development team that let you play Doom64 in PS4, said: they are just weird and fun levels, not part of the story.

Kinda like the master level was: a set of maps somewhat unrelated to each other, sold because there was a need to countrbalance the shity CDRom compilations that were sold backthen with something approved by Id Software, quality wise.

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Edward850 said:

No that's just a bug on our end. Though originally the features menu didn't stay unlocked between resets anyway (because Controller Paks were expensive so not every game was designed to use them as a primary function). The fun levels were just meant to be weird levels to discover if you ever unlocked the features menu, don't overthink it.

Hey wow I did not know you worked for Nightdive, that is awesome. Thank you for this port. I have a question. Do you know, if I only use the save/load function exclusively, and never use the password menu, if the features menu will stay around? Because it only went away when I tried out the password for the first time. 
 

Also, do you know why the ability to map hotkeys for weapons is available on the Xbox but not on the PS4? The ports for classic Doom 1 and 2 for these consoles have the d-pad automatically mapped to certain weapons which makes it quicker than scrolling. If I need to go from my fist to my rocket launcher, I can’t do it without it automatically stopping after 3 Or 4 presses, so I’ll go from my fist to my super Shotgun and then to my rocket launcher, and this makes it a lot harder.
 

also, do you know why sprinting is not bound to L2 by default? Because sprinting is unbound my default, and L2 is used for action, which already also has “x” bound for it. By default you have to toggle the sprint on or off, and just in general there are a few things are just not bound at all by default, such as quicksave. 
 

Finally, I was wondering, do you know if the maps this game were originally designed/tested with pistol-starting in mind, the way that 1 and 2 were?

 

sorry for all these questions, thank you again. 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
17 minutes ago, LucidLocomotive said:

do you know if the maps this game were originally designed/tested with pistol-starting in mind, the way that 1 and 2 were?

As someone that has just finished Doom 64, I can say that all maps are indeed beatable with pistol starting in mind - mid-late game maps always feature at least a Shotgun/Chaingun/SSG near the spawn; and tend to have a decent amount of rockets and shell boxes.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

Do you know, if I only use the save/load function exclusively, and never use the password menu, if the features menu will stay around?

It should, yes. This was a muck-up in our code where the cvar for the features menu was applied every time a password was used, rather than if it was simply activated by a level 1 password (thus anything not a level 1 password turns it back off). Saves won't affect it.

 

9 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

Also, do you know why the ability to map hotkeys for weapons is available on the Xbox but not on the PS4?

The weapon binds were only expected to be used for Keyboard binds, where-in the Xbox version supports keyboard/mouse controls and the PS4 doesn't. Incidentally the bind menu never restricted you from assigning any bind to any device, so controller binds was accidentally a thing you could do.

 

9 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

also, do you know why sprinting is not bound to L2 by default?

Because we liked use being on the left trigger so your right thumb never needed to leave the camera control stick. Meanwhile we figured more people would just use autorun, bound the L3, and thus that became the default controls.

 

9 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

and just in general there are a few things are just not bound at all by default, such as quicksave

There wasn't a spot we felt comfortable having quicksave/load bounded to by default that an unknowing user might press accidentally.

 

9 hours ago, LucidLocomotive said:

Finally, I was wondering, do you know if the maps this game were originally designed/tested with pistol-starting in mind, the way that 1 and 2 were?

Given the normal behaviour of the game is to pistol start on death and the features menu allows you to warp to any level, yes we are pretty sure they were.

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×