Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
URROVA

Very slow load/save time in GZDoom.

Lately, saving and loading the game in GZDoom is taking me a long time. Is there anything I can do to optimize save / load time?

My specs:

• Proc: Intel Core i3-3227U 1.90 GHz (64 Bits)
  • Ram: 6 GB
  • Windows 10

I hope you can help me!

What version of GZDoom are you running?

Are there any mods loaded?

Does GZDoom spit out an error when loading?

Im running GZDoom 4.3.3

Without mods it takes me about 10 seconds to load a map (it seems to me quite a lot), with mods it takes a little longer.

And no, it does not throw errors.

11 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

Are you using hires texture replacements?

No. I am not using mods, just DOOM2.WAD.

Hows the rest of the system?

Does the problem also occur in other titles?

Is the system cleaned on the regular?

The problem happens with other titles, but it only happens with GZDoom, with ZDoom it loads almost instantly.

I passed CCleaner to the computer, and there is no difference.

11 hours ago, URROVA said:

The problem happens with other titles, but it only happens with GZDoom, with ZDoom it loads almost instantly.

So it happens with other titles but it only happens with GZDoom? That does not compute. I reckon you mean't that it does not happen with other titles.

• Does GZDoom spit out an error during loading?
  • Do you run GZDoom with maximum visual settings?
  • If not, what visual settings are used?
  • You also mentioned ''Lately''. So how long is this occurring and what happened that it suddenly needed a lot longer loading?

I do like to note that your processor is only 2 cores and has an HD Graphics 4000. If GZ is run with max visual settings, it will run into issues, but those don't have to absolutely be with loading.

On 5/22/2020 at 4:23 AM, Redneckerz said:

So it happens with other titles but it only happens with GZDoom? That does not compute. I reckon you mean't that it does not happen with other titles.

• Does GZDoom spit out an error during loading?
  • Do you run GZDoom with maximum visual settings?
  • If not, what visual settings are used?
  • You also mentioned ''Lately''. So how long is this occurring and what happened that it suddenly needed a lot longer loading?

I do like to note that your processor is only 2 cores and has an HD Graphics 4000. If GZ is run with max visual settings, it will run into issues, but those don't have to absolutely be with loading.

GZDoom does not spit any errors. I Tried multiple visual settings, multiple renderers, various sizes, and the load time remains the same. 
Now that I think about it, this always happened to me, not lately.

Are you running any mods or really large maps?

A Core i3-3227U is a pretty old processor (Q1 2013) so it's definitely going to chug a bit as software keeps evolving, and people keep assuming that just because Doom is a 25 year-old game, that a modern source port like GZDoom will still only need so much technology, and that's not really the case.

15 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Are you running any mods or really large maps?

A Core i3-3227U is a pretty old processor (Q1 2013) so it's definitely going to chug a bit as software keeps evolving, and people keep assuming that just because Doom is a 25 year-old game, that a modern source port like GZDoom will still only need so much technology, and that's not really the case.

I am not using mods. Only with DOOM2.WAD the loading time of a map is about 10 seconds. And I know, GZDoom is a fairly advanced engine, I saw that it has OpenGL materials, shaders and a lot of things that make it very modern, and a fairly advanced game engine. And yes, I know that an i3 is an old processor. I also think it's slow loading not because of something from the video, but because of some of the storage.

Well, one thing you could try is to see if LZDoom performs better. It's based on an older build of GZDoom, but it also is lighter on hardware requirements.

That said...

2 minutes ago, URROVA said:

Only with DOOM2.WAD the loading time of a map is about 10 seconds.

So in other words, Doom/Ultimate Doom, or the Final Doom IWADs, don't have this issue? Or is it untested?

No, with any IWAD that I put it goes slow. There I test if with LZDoom the loading is faster.

Well I tried LZDoom, and yes the problem comes with OpenGL mode. In software mode it loads me instantly, but in OpenGL mode the same thing happens: it takes about 10 seconds to load.

14 minutes ago, URROVA said:

Well I tried LZDoom, and yes the problem comes with OpenGL mode. In software mode it loads me instantly, but in OpenGL mode the same thing happens: it takes about 10 seconds to load.

Are you using the latest OpenGL and Intel drivers?

Definitely sounds like limitations of the CPU's IGP then. That's an Intel HD Graphics 4000, and it supports OpenGL up to 4.0. Basically, it'll work, but some stuff might take longer as it's got to run less-optimal code.

That's enough to run GZDoom (it only needs OpenGL 3.3), but GZDoom won't be at optimal speed without OpenGL 4.5 (or better yet, Vulkan, but the HD 4000 only supports Vulkan 1.0 under Linux).

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Are you using the latest OpenGL and Intel drivers?

the truth that no idea ... there I look if I have updated drivers.