Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Immorpher

Morph Sound 64 'enhancement' for Doom 64 EX, Retribution, GEC Master Edition, and Nightdive's Re-release

Here's a post that I will continually edit to add more demos/tests.

Doom 64 Music re-rendered using the Morph Music 64 soundfont:

Spoiler

First, support @Aubrey Hodges on bandcamp for this superb soundtrack! Here's the original on his bandcamp for comparison: https://aubreyhodges.bandcamp.com/album/doom-64-official-soundtrack (he also has an enhanced 20th anniversary edition on there as well)

For the music I had to be careful as if I added too many higher frequencies it made the music noisier. But I was able to make the samples stereo, and by the way the music was composed, I was able to keep the panning in the music as well. One advantage of rendering the music from a soundfont, is that I can render it at a higher quality than the N64, from which Aubrey Hodges' grabbed his music from (I think). I also like to think, though, my sample edits also contribute to the quality as well. Take a listen: 

Doom 64 Retribution tests:

Spoiler

Doom 64 EX tests:

Spoiler

Edited by Immorpher

I think you might have excited the high frequencies a bit too much. You can especially hear it when opening doors and shooting weapons or with any kind of projectile sound. In particular it sounds like there's some weirdness somewhere around the 6-10k range. 

3 hours ago, Marn said:

I think you might have excited the high frequencies a bit too much. You can especially hear it when opening doors and shooting weapons or with any kind of projectile sound. In particular it sounds like there's some weirdness somewhere around the 6-10k range. 

I could see that being the case, I had to do a lot of editing in that region on some sounds to remove ringing sounds to get them acceptable to me. And the projectile sounds tend to have the most high frequency components. It's interesting as my interpolation (and other) algorithms only had to add frequencies above ~11 kHz (depending on the sound), so some of that either existed in some of the originals or how Nightdive handled the sounds (where I obtained them from). I should try and interpolate some of the sounds after downsampling to 6 kHz and see what I get (and see if I got headphones more sensitive to the region). To me, I think the single shotgun sound is one of the bigger offenders, so perhaps that will be my first test.

Thanks for taking a listen, definitely gave me an avenue for improvement :)

I honestly loved what I heard so far, but I agree the projectile sounds are a little overdone. Loving the shotguns though 👍.

34 minutes ago, Immorpher said:

I could see that being the case, I had to do a lot of editing in that region on some sounds to remove ringing sounds to get them acceptable to me. And the projectile sounds tend to have the most high frequency components. It's interesting as my interpolation (and other) algorithms only had to add frequencies above ~11 kHz (depending on the sound), so some of that either existed in some of the originals or how Nightdive handled the sounds (where I obtained them from). 

If the interpolation algorithm you used works like an exciter to add the additional high frequency information (which I assume it does but I could be wrong) and the frequency the algorithm excites is a subharmonic of the offending region, it would have boosted the offending region more even if it's only intended to add frequency info above 11k

1 minute ago, Marn said:

If the interpolation algorithm you used works like an exciter to add the additional high frequency information (which I assume it does but I could be wrong) and the frequency the algorithm excites is a subharmonic of the offending region, it would have boosted the offending region more even if it's only intended to add frequency info above 11k

I have about 7 different ones I mix between. One definitely behaves like an exciter, and one explicitly does not (but it has drawbacks of its own), the rest are somewhere in between. What would be the sound which hits your ears the most with it? Perhaps the imp fireball projectile sound?

I have added an "x Preview" folder (in the download link), which makes it easier to play the sounds in a browser. If any one listens to them and finds some rough sounds, let me know and I will take another crack at them. Sometimes after listening to the sounds for so long I can miss some ringing artifacts.

I figured out how to apply some of the interpolation techniques without adding subharmonics, as Marn pointed out. Also I figured out how to compensate for some hard limiting artifacts that the original samples may have had. So I might have better luck on a second try. :)

Edited by Immorpher

This is some seriously cool work.  Thank you for doing this.  Doom 64 has such a special atmosphere, it really deserves the love you're giving it. Your work and D64-RTR really combine to make something special.  \m/

I have been taking another round with the sounds, seeing if I can remove some of the subharmonics and press the crispness a bit further. It's often just very minor differences. I have the raw sounds for comparison in the download link's "x Preview" folder, which can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/mxe3p2iruoafc6l/AADEv5X-VMgpa9NAsYO6XwUra?dl=0

Version 1.0 in the folder is the current version and 1.1 beta is what I am working on. My headphones may not pick up some of the subharmonics well though, so if anyone still hears them let me know. SFX_045 (the lift sound) has been a war to reduce ringing, so I included the original D64 version, so people can hear what I started with.

The feedback so far has helped me out! :)

This sounds great! I love audio mods, especially of the restoration-y flavor.

Has anyone ever made progress in tracking down the original sources for D64's audio, like what Perkristian did for the original game?

On 12/5/2020 at 6:32 PM, Gifty said:

This sounds great! I love audio mods, especially of the restoration-y flavor.

Has anyone ever made progress in tracking down the original sources for D64's audio, like what Perkristian did for the original game?

Yes, it is a bit patchy though. @jdagenet has found most of the samples used for the music from what I hear. And @ColorSphere has found a few of the sound effects.

I have been wanting to do a music update using what @jdagenet found and will do, once I sort some things out.

Could you explain to me how to use this with the Doom 64 remaster a little more specifcally?

I put the Wads in my Doom 64 directory and added "-file MorphSound64 1.0.wad -file MorphMusic64 1.1 beta.wad" into my launch options.

Nothing is changed in game.

I am clearly doing something wrong here.

On 7/12/2022 at 5:48 AM, ASON-Z- said:

Could you explain to me how to use this with the Doom 64 remaster a little more specifcally?

I put the Wads in my Doom 64 directory and added "-file MorphSound64 1.0.wad -file MorphMusic64 1.1 beta.wad" into my launch options.

Nothing is changed in game.

I am clearly doing something wrong here.

Woops I missed this! I think this will work....

-file "MorphSound64 1.0.wad" "MorphMusic64 1.1 beta.wad"

I should really get it out of beta one of these days! haha