Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Never_Again

DOOM Archaeology: The First 25 WADs

Always wondered why the Serenity serie (Serenity, Eternity, Infinity, in reverse order episode-wise) its not deemed as the first megawad ever made.

Yes separate releases, but it is the first full set of maps made by a team for Doom.

The first megawad ever made is most likely WADPAK1, a compilation by Gary Karnik. The original version was released on May 6th or 7th; the WAD on /idgames is an updated version from August.

The first megawad that is not a compilation was probably Enjay's NJDOOM1 (Nov 27). Note that the E2 part of it (NJ_SOH) was released no later than July 1994. The original version of SERENITY (Sep 16 1994) predates NJDOOM1; however, the last installment in the series - INFINITY - took until May 1995 to complete. By then OBTIC and BF_THUD! (both Jan 1995) were out.

Edited by Never_Again : added a link

Over the past 25+ years we have gone from 25 wads to probably millions by this point

13 hours ago, Never_Again said:

The first megawad ever made is most likely WADPAK1, a compilation by Gary Karnik. The original version was released on May 6th or 7th; the WAD on /idgames is an updated version from August.

The first megawad that is not a compilation was probably Enjay's NJDOOM1 (Nov 27). Note that the E2 part of it (NJ_SOH) was released no later than July 1994. The original version of SERENITY (Sep 16 1994) predates NJDOOM1; however, the last installment in the series - INFINITY - took until May 1995 to complete. By then OBTIC and BF_THUD! (both Jan 1995) were out.

Oh, holy s...

I know NJDoom, i got NJDoom, i love NJDoom, and i constantly forget about it.
Thanks anyway for answering, also, i didn't know about the wadpak1, so i gonna give it a try. 

I updated the first post. After a year and a half most of the blanks have been filled:

- DIAMONDx -- and not STONES, as previously thought -- turned out to be Michael Kelsey's first release

- the authors of DYLAN1 and of the lost DEATH WAD have been identified

- two of the DEATH WADs are now on /idgames

Thus the only remaining blanks are the author of DMMKS and the third DEATH WAD itself. So far all searches for it proved fruitless.

Presumably, a bit-identical copy could be obtained by changing the map entry of the WAD from the Maximum Doom collection to E1M1 but I'd like to find the original.

I’ve got most of the wads on that list above on CDs. 
there’s a level released on 30/3/94, unknown author, screenshot below. 

C2E538BD-ECEF-4D72-8114-9FCFE27E4902.png.aa0114bf478bce4065f1751252711441.png

there’s also wads released in January which are:-

Dmgrav, 14/1/94 by Unknown 

Hevnhell, 17/1/94 by Kenneth S. Forte

Logo, 18/1/94 by Kenneth S. forte. 
Melange, 20/1/94 by Kenneth S. Forte. 
Dprison, 21/1/94 by Justin Powell 

Fertile, 25/1/94 by Kenneth S. forte. 

Dspiral, 26/1/94 by Kenneth s. Forte. 

One level released in February is Pillars, 18/2/94 by David Allen. 

other levels for Doom released in March:-

Letter, by DirkyPunglePink, 1/3/94. 
Epi1m2, Mark Fanslau, 8/3/94

Swell, unknown, 22/3/94

Maniac, Jon Boulet, 27/3/94. 
Djg21-1a, unknown, 28/3/94. 
D, unknown, 29/3/94. 

Edited by Doomlover77 : Extra information for wad archaeology

3 hours ago, Doomlover77 said:

there’s a level released on 30/3/94, unknown author, screenshot below.

This is Terry Evans' DEATH.WAD from my list.

All of these dates are wrong. Most of them are the result of the author's system crash resetting the BIOS clock. I have a dozen+ WADs dated Dec 30 1899, and a bunch more from the 1980s. Other reasons may include buggy transfer/archival software, user error and possibly pranks.

I don't have these two. What are your source(s) for them? I expect EPI1M2 at least to be a modified id level.

The rest:

SWELL - CROSS, modified by Dave Nixon; included with DoomEd v2.42a release (1994-03-22)

MANIAC - modified E1M1, "author" is Jean-François Brissette, according to the TXT file

DJG21-1A - heavily modified E1M9

D - a bent-out-of-shape E2M9

The list in this thread is the result of years of research - reading hundreds of Usenet posts and TXT files, cross-referencing WADs' binary contents, examining them with various utils including hex editors and last, but not least, actually playing (!) them. So I am afraid that contributions in form of data dumps that can be produced in five minutes are not likely to be useful.

This is not meant to dampen your enthusiasm for DOOM archaeology - far from it. I appreciate anyone showing interest in this arcane field and have been following with fascination the WAD compilations thread, to which I should contribute some additions and corrections of my own soon. I just want to emphasize that anyone who wishes to contribute to the list in this thread should be prepared to do a lot more work than just doing a search on his files and checking the dates.

The dates cannot always be trusted. There are three major milestones in the history of DOOM map editors development that one should keep in mind re: the dates:

• 1994-02-19 - DoomEd 2.20. The first editor to allow modification of the geometry of stock id levels by manipulating VERTEXes. Any WADs dated earlier than this will necessarily be stock maps with the only changes being different THINGS, textures, light levels, triggers etc.
  • 1994-03-23 - DEU 5 beta 4. The first editor to allow building levels from scratch. Anything older (excluding misdated files) is either modified stock maps or WADs built entirely by hand with a hex editor.
  • 1994-03-30 - DEU 5.0 public release. The floodgates are opened.

So just by having a look through PILLARS' TXT file one can see that it could not have been released before March 31:

Build Time              : 12+ hours
Editor(s) used          : DEU 5.0 (Best so far.)

Same goes for the earlier WADs you listed, e.g. MELANGE.TXT:

Build Time              : About 1 day, much of it devoted to textures
Editor(s) used          : DEU 5.0 and BSP 1.0

Note that BSP 1.0 was released the day after DEU 5.0.

The one truly interesting entry in your list is DMGRAV. Three CDROMs in my collection - Deathmatch 7000 and the two Doom Magazines - list it as dated Jan 14. This is nearly two months before ORIGWAD and CROSS were created. The barebone design - a single sector shaped like a fish - and the SEGS/NODES counts may lead one to speculate that this, too, was done with a hex editor. Unlike ORIGWAD's readme, the only TXT file for DMGRAV I've been able to find (given below in its entirety) makes no mention of its origins:

This DOOM external .WAD file allows you to float above a mountain
range.
No demons to kill, because the sector is not really closed. Walk
around. Explore!
Blow up the trashcans if you want to! Happy DOOMing.

So this could be a fourth made-by-hand level in existence but the question of its true date remains open. The TXT above is dated 1994-11-23 on the 4-ever-Doomed CDROM and the WAD itself a day before that. The Collection of Doom Utils, Doom Accessories and Doom Fever CDROMs give 1994-06-06 for the WAD, and DDN CD Occurrence 1 lists 1994-10-20. Of all these I find the January date the least plausible, not just out of the general considerations outlined earlier but also because all three CDROMs show evidence of the compilers' carelessness: lots of TXT files missing and, in case of DM7000, a lot of corrupt files.

BTW, it would be nice to compile a comprehensive list of all known WADs, including id level modifications, created before DOOM2 release, but that would be beyond the scope of this project.

Edited by Never_Again : formatting

Swell, unknown, 22/3/94

Maniac, Jon Boulet, 27/3/94. 
Djg21-1a, unknown, 28/3/94. 
D, unknown, 29/3/94. 

Just wanted to chime in that these wads almost certainly do not predate origwad. I didn't investigate all of them, but for example, the first Kenneth Forte map on idgames (dspiral) specifies in the txt it was made in DEU 5.0, which wasn't released until March of 1994. Generally, dates in zips are more or less trustworthy but should always be taken with a grain of salt, as the user's computer clock may have been set incorrectly on creation. As such, any wads that supposedly predate origwad or are around this time should always be double-checked against information in the txt, shovelware CDs, Usenet, wherever possible to ensure they actually could have the date indicated by the zip timestamp.

Edit: got sniped by Never_Again :p

Interesting read @Never_Again
To answer your question, Ep1mi2.wad is a from scratch doom level taken from the 4_Ever Doomed CD. Download link here :- 

https://archive.org/download/cdrom-4everdoomed/4-everdoomedcypresssoftware1994.iso/ARCHIVE%2FLEVS%2FD1%2FWADS08%2FEP1MI2.EXE

The letter.wad is from D!Zone 3, the link is for the wad archive. 

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/4f289761e2c71101bb646405e5e0a70f7b879b30/download/letter.wad

Hope this helps. @Doomlover77

Edited by Doomlover77 : Extra information for wad archaeology project.

23 minutes ago, Doomlover77 said:

Ep1mi2.wad is a from scratch doom level taken from the 4_Ever Doomed CD

Thank you for the pointer. I got the WAD and the ISO; the reason it was not turning up in my searches is that it comes in a self-extracting exec.

Its TXT file states

Editor(s) used          : Deu 5.2

so it could not have been made before 1994-05-20.

26 minutes ago, Doomlover77 said:

letter.wad is from D!Zone 3

Got it. The TXT file doesn't specify the version of DEU used; however the TXT uses WAD Authoring Template v1.4, first included with DEU 5.2, so once again not earlier than May 20 -- unless the author was a beta tester for DEU and released this anonymously, which is not very likely, in which case the date can be pushed back as far as May 6.

This seems like a good place to ask about the maps recommended in this Twitter thread. I've always felt so tantalized whenever I read it. If one of the experts here could just list the file names, I'm confident I'd be able to find them myself.

@SiFi270I know two of the levels on the twitter thread link above. One is Fcb2.wad which is a E2m1 modification. It also appears under the names E2m1.wad and Doome2.wad. 

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/d66899b3b4692303f5dc98310c93e463b4568e61/download/DOOME2.WAD

0C52B944-5846-434E-83FB-F7C4BC00091D.png.12233dfc114e80510d93d5404f61f2f7.png

the other one is e2l2_gg1.wad by Greg Grimsby which is a E1m2 modification, shown below 

https://www.wad-archive.com/wad/d63d3ff305a7672106c35f0a0877b7a5574fd216/download/e2l2_gg1.wad

095B4C1C-B936-4621-AA34-6C440FD05066.png.a05d930ee011c307ad7dbbf25d92b61d.png

Let me just say that a lot of the modified ID wads are absolutely awful, especially the Doominator levels and the M1-M9 wads. The M1-9 wads were Full of barrels !

13 hours ago, Doomlover77 said:

Let me just say that a lot of the modified ID wads are absolutely awful, especially the Doominator levels and the M1-M9 wads. The M1-9 wads were Full of barrels !

Yep, those ones were awful.  

I have to say, though, MIC.wad gets the crown for the most badly mangled version of E1M1: 

E1M1.PNG

On 5/21/2020 at 2:50 AM, Never_Again said:

DEATH*8       Bret Larwick9                 53 KB, DM-only

On 5/21/2020 at 2:50 AM, Never_Again said:

the original appears to have been lost; a D2 conversion is included in Maximum DOOM as DEATH.WAD under \MAXIMUM\WADS\DOOM2.

I don't know but this information might be helpful for you.

According to this SITE, a death.wad classified as a deathmach is listed in the November 1994 issue of PC Power CD.

Text quoted directly from the site:

"DEATH.WAD DM level, looks pretty bad, not fun, 1 room! "

No wad timestamp available

Unfortunately I don't have the cd and it doesn't seem to be available on archive.org.

Cheers!

I know. The death.wad available in Maximum Doom is a conversion for doom 2. Maybe the death.wad available in the Pc Power Cd (November 1994) is the original doom 1 version with timestamp 1994-03-29

I’ve just done a check on death.wad 
You are correct on that one @thestarrover. Any other wads I can help with?

I’m happy to report that the Dmgrav date I have is definitely 6/6/94. 

Edited by Doomlover77 : Extra information for Dmgrav.wad

@thestarrover: going by the description, that is Terry Evans' WAD. For some reason it gained wide distribution, unlike the other two DEATH WADs. Thank you for the link, that site is an entertaining read, kind of like a terse version of Maximum Matt's saga. BARREL2 "impossible", HH-21 and HH-22 "didn't work", FOREST13 "hard" ... yes, it's a doozie.

On 11/23/2021 at 5:25 PM, Doomlover77 said:

@thestarroverThe death.wad you mentioned above is for Doom2 from 15-Feb-1995

On 11/23/2021 at 10:44 AM, thestarrover said:

a death.wad classified as a deathmach is listed in the November 1994 issue of PC Power CD.

These wads appear to have been released by the end of March 1994:

E1L1.WAD 03/19/1994 by Eric Stenborg

E1L1.TXT 03/19/1994

E1L1.ZIP on the The Arcade Room BBS File Archive (archive.org) or HERE (cd.textfiles.com)

MRE1M1.WAD (modified E1M1) 03/27/1994

MRE1M4.WAD (modified E1M4) 03/28/1994

No text file included. Unknown author

Levels included in MRE1WADS.ZIP (03/28/1994)

Download: The 640 Meg Shareware Studio Vol 5 (1994) or Cream of The crop 3 1994  or Retroarchive

Is it possible that these release dates are right?

Edited by thestarrover