Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Max Cady

DoomED and NeXTstep history questions

1 minute ago, cambreaKer said:

it means original poster, i think

He's talking of that.

10.png

Interesting. So I was wrong - the black thing I thought was a NeXTcube is a DOS PC, and the "Intel Inside"-branded computer is actually the system running NeXTSTEP.

Well, guess you got some answers. :P

It's slightly complicated because NeXTSTEP could run on multiple CPU architectures. The original NeXT hardware (NeXTcube, NeXTstation, etc.) all used Motorola 68000-based CPUs, but the 4.0 release of NeXTSTEP added support for standard PC (Intel x86) hardware. Epson even released a line of NeXTSTEP-based x86 workstations. Romero mentioned on his blog some years back that when he helped set up Raven's dev environment so that they could develop Heretic, it was these Epson machines that they bought so that they could use the dev tools (DoomEd, etc.) that they'd created for Doom, and presumably they were a lot cheaper than buying the proprietary NeXT hardware.

I'll bet you didn't know that DOOM, DOOM II and Quake weren't the only games developed on NeXTSTEP. When I got Raven Software to agree to develop Heretic for us I had them buy several Epson NeXT computers (Intel based) and I flew up to Madison, WI to get them all set up and teach them how to develop the game with our tools and engine. It was a great time I'll never forget - seeing their team get excited about the power of the new environment and that they got the game developed and released in under a year. They signed on for another title and developed Hexen on NeXTSTEP as well.

2 hours ago, fraggle said:

It's slightly complicated because NeXTSTEP could run on multiple CPU architectures. The original NeXT hardware (NeXTcube, NeXTstation, etc.) all used Motorola 68000-based CPUs, but the 4.0 release of NeXTSTEP added support for standard PC (Intel x86) hardware. Epson even released a line of NeXTSTEP-based x86 workstations. Romero mentioned on his blog some years back that when he helped set up Raven's dev environment so that they could develop Heretic, it was these Epson machines that they bought so that they could use the dev tools (DoomEd, etc.) that they'd created for Doom, and presumably they were a lot cheaper than buying the proprietary NeXT hardware.

Well, i386 was supported as of 3.1, but yeah, 4.0 is what supported i486-class hardware I think.

Either way, kind of surprised that what was behind Romero wasn't a NeXTcube. I wonder what the hell it actually is then.

13 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Interesting. So I was wrong - the black thing I thought was a NeXTcube is a DOS PC, and the "Intel Inside"-branded computer is actually the system running NeXTSTEP.

Well, guess you got some answers. :P

Well, he said: The computer behind my back... It's not in the picture cause there is nothing behind his back. I don't understand. I was aware it wasn't a nextstep cause there is no lines over the cube.

13 hours ago, fraggle said:

that they'd created for Doom, and presumably they were a lot cheaper than buying the proprietary NeXT hardware.

They bought a NeXTstep fist, then a NeXTstation, and they upgraded to Turbo some time after that. So I am confused.

1 hour ago, bipolarmaximus said:

Well, he said: The computer behind my back... It's not in the picture cause there is nothing behind his back. I don't understand. I was aware it wasn't a nextstep cause there is no lines over the cube.

It is behind his back, just not literally. It's behind his back from our POV - that is, not directly behind his back in a literal sense, but "behind his back" and obscuring the view of it.

lol thx.

You are my half part. You are intelligent. 

I have doubt it was a nextcube cause there were no lines over it. 

07nextcube.jpg

Hi!

I was about to make a critical mistake in my little documentary. 

I asked John 2 things:

First,

what was the username to use nextstep in any machines?

Second,

Did he used the nextcube to create maps? (I thought the he used a nextcube to create maps)

His anwser:

1.png

I also asked for a password in case that password was completely obsolete in any possible ways, but he didn't say anything special about the password. 

It's understandable.