Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
superboo07

DOOM E1M1 Remake: models feedback

Im planing on remaking E1M1 in unreal engine 4, but I dont want it to look a bunch of thrown together marketplace assets. I'm going to either use assets off of sketchfab (I will modify them if their licence allows me to do so.) or make the models myself. I have my first model done for the game. I want feed back on it before I take the time to rig it. 

Doomguy hand model: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/doomguy-hand-model-2618b1fa4c1c4b06bf233fe108c07fbf

Barrel: https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/doom-1-barrel-remake-6147455083f049d3bd451b5d17a03789

Zombiemann: https://gofile.io/d/qUh8ZQ (Its a download link because I couldn't get the mesh under 50 MB, and when I did the quality was too compromised.)  

Left.png.6bd656e5c7f5c2897323b21468e8166e.pngback0001.png.6c6b9cfba25d53d60427f40dc8707443.pngFront0001.png.2258278afc00f1f44f153177fca48f1e.png

Edited by superboo07 : Added a barrel

7 minutes ago, superboo07 said:

Im planing on remaking E1M1 in unreal engine 4, but I dont want it to look a bunch of thrown together marketplace assets. I'm going to either use assets off of sketchfab (I will modify them if their licence allows me to do so.) or make the models myself. I have my first model done for the game. I want feed back on it before I take the time to rig it. 

https://sketchfab.com/3d-models/doomguy-hand-model-cd287c436af24711b63e717128c4b75a

Careful. The UDoom mod for UT99 tried doing that too, made a fairly decent E1M1 recreation, and got C&D'd by id software. Think I've still got the zip somewhere.

Of course, they also directly used the original textures, sounds, music, etc. And used those well-known Abbs 3D models to do it, IIRC.

However, Freedoom would be workable given that it's all under modified BSD.

1 minute ago, Dark Pulse said:

Careful. The UDoom mod for UT99 tried doing that too, made a fairly decent E1M1 recreation, and got C&D'd by id software. Think I've still got the zip somewhere.

Of course, they also directly used the original textures, sounds, music, etc. And used those well-known Abbs 3D models to do it, IIRC.

However, Freedoom would be workable given that it's all under modified BSD.

For textures im going to make them myself. For sounds im going to get them from freesounds.org (Im going to give proper credit), for music im going to see if Andrew Hulshult will let me use his rendition of At Doom's Gate (If he doesn't than I will try to compose my own, and if I cant then no music will be included.) Also im going to make my own demon models since the Abbs models arent that good. Im also going to make the map based on its shareware version

16 minutes ago, superboo07 said:

For textures im going to make them myself. For sounds im going to get them from freesounds.org (Im going to give proper credit), for music im going to see if Andrew Hulshult will let me use his rendition of At Doom's Gate (If he doesn't than I will try to compose my own, and if I cant then no music will be included.) Also im going to make my own demon models since the Abbs models arent that good. Im also going to make the map based on its shareware version

Then you should be more or less legally in the clear. And yes, the Abbs models aren't that good because they're old as dust. Damn near 20 years old now I think. :)

(They weren't that great way back when, either, but well, they were limited by the model types supported by engines like JDoom and such.)

15 minutes ago, Artman2004 said:

@Dark Pulse What do you mean by Abbs 3D models?

Abbs is the guy who made them back in the day. They're basically the models featured in this video, and it got ported over to a bunch of fancier ports back in the day (like JDoom and Risen3D):

They're pretty well-recognized amongst old hats. I think back then these models would've been MD2 format, so... yeah.

On 5/23/2020 at 12:33 AM, Dark Pulse said:

(They weren't that great way back when, either, but well, they were limited by the model types supported by engines like JDoom and such.)

I think they're just awesome for a "what if Doom was remade in the Quake engine" project or something.