Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

Tales from the Doomworld

Online communities are a fascinating phenomenon to me, and this wonderful site is no exception. I joined back in 2015, and during my brief stint here, I tended to keep to the Doom (2016) forum, rarely bleeding into Doom General, or Everything Else to rub elbows with some big names I've come to attach to unique personalities. I took a hiatus from this site up until the release of Eternal. After that, I've tried my hand at mapping and begun to re-immerse myself with the community here. 

Although it says Senior Member under my name, I don't really consider myself a large part of this community. I would play some Doom 2016 Multiplayer with a few fellows from the forum, and would post a lot of shit (mostly trailers), but I didn't really start drinking the bathwater up until recently. That metaphor doesn't work. Like at all. 

There are a lot of really cool people here, and where there be people, there be culture. There is a beautiful cultural history to this site and it's users. The purpose of this thread is for these users (you) to post their personal experiences with the site and various stories of their interactions with the community. This is meant to be a positive thing, so don't rant about that one time Fraggle sent you to Losers. I'm genuinely curious to read about the cool shit that has been spinning on the cyberweb here. That metaphor works. Fuck yeah.

2 hours ago, Marn said:

God it's been so long since I made highlights of Tarnsman's Maximum Doom extragavanza, I need to return to it and do more of them. There's a lot more gold there that need to be preserved for the ages.

Surely stories like the misadventures of LittleTemple count as positive ones? There’s loads of strange-yet-hilarious shit like that which has happened over the years.

Personally, I just really enjoy how eager the community is on the whole to put out new content, work together in groups or on community projects, and all that good stuff.

I don’t want to name names because the list would be obnoxiously long, but damn this site houses - or once housed, in the case of people who have moved on in one way or another - such an insane number of productive and cooperative people.

Ahh the LittleTemple thingy, too bad I never had the chance to actually play the maps that were submitted in that thread but I remember people said they were pretty good.

Edited by Uni

I used to lurk here for years before I registered, I've probably been on the site since 2005 or so. I've outlasted several users that used to dogpile me, and you bet it puts a sick smile on my face on occasion. 

I've fucked around with Doom for literal years/decades, but it took the GEC PSX project to actually get me to sign up here.

Sometimes I wish I had more to show for it though, even though I've contributed several maps for that project.

I bought a copy of The Doom Hacker's Guide and then 20 years went by and everything that happened is a blur.

3 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Personally, I just really enjoy how eager the community is on the whole to put out new content, work together in groups or on community projects, and all that good stuff.

Sounds good to me. What Doomkid said!

17 hours ago, Alter said:

God it's been so long since I made highlights of Tarnsman's Maximum Doom extragavanza, I need to return to it and do more of them. There's a lot more gold there that need to be preserved for the ages.

Yes.  Please get on that immediately.  

Sir Tarnsman is an absolute hero for plowing through Max Doom, and that video series shall stand the test of time showing the world what it truly is.  But it is absolutely massive, and there's tons of classic moments throughout that need to be highlighted (like him losing his shit at obscure level progression, saying stuff like "okay, game, where the fuck do I go now??", doing slow claps at the most ridiculous moments, generally talking random shit and hearing his mind unravelling, occasionally coming across a decent level etc.)

13 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Surely stories like the misadventures of LittleTemple count as positive ones? There’s loads of strange-yet-hilarious shit like that which has happened over the years.

I only just finished checking out the LittleTemple thread last night. It's hilarious and I'm thankful it's still available to read.

On 5/24/2020 at 4:05 AM, Maximum Matt said:

Yes.  Please get on that immediately.  

Sir Tarnsman is an absolute hero for plowing through Max Doom, and that video series shall stand the test of time showing the world what it truly is.  But it is absolutely massive, and there's tons of classic moments throughout that need to be highlighted (like him losing his shit at obscure level progression, saying stuff like "okay, game, where the fuck do I go now??", doing slow claps at the most ridiculous moments, generally talking random shit and hearing his mind unravelling, occasionally coming across a decent level etc.)

Hey guess what, i'm doing it now. At least, i'll try to get more highlights (on part 8 out of 64 atm in maximum doom, that's where I stopped years ago in highlights) in between doing gamedev and other things.