Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dr. DiegO

I want to make a map, but, where i need to start?

Question

I want to make a map, but i'm little confuse about choosing a editor. i check Doom Builder 2, but i realize that there is more Doom Builder derivatives such as: GZDoom Builder, and Ultimate Doom Builder (ZDoom team recommended). 

So, which one i need to choose?

7 answers to this question

I'd recommend Ultimate Doom Builder, since it's still in active development and you can map in most formats currently available. But honestly, just check out all of them and see which one works the best for you. Some people map with "Slade" and prefer that, so why not try it out.

More importantly is to choose a "simple" format to map in, which does not have so many features, for example "Doom Format" (Vanilla) or "Boom" even. Then work your way up from there.

Ultimate Doom Builder is just the newest version of GZDoom Builder. and GZDoom Builder was based off Doom Builder 2. Doom Builder 2 is no longer supported or developed, so I'd recommend against using that. I would recommend Ultimate Doom Builder personally, but there are a few other good options out there depending on your system and preferences:

• Doom Builder X
  • SLADE
  • Eureka

What elend said, and I would also suggest checking out chubzdoomer and lazydoomer on youtube if you want to learn some more advanced features for zdoom/gzdoom.

10 hours ago, Tango said:

Ultimate Doom Builder is just the newest version of GZDoom Builder. and GZDoom Builder was based off Doom Builder 2. Doom Builder 2 is no longer supported or developed, so I'd recommend against using that. I would recommend Ultimate Doom Builder personally, but there are a few other good options out there depending on your system and preferences:

• Doom Builder X
  • SLADE
  • Eureka

SLADE is a editor? oh, well. i got that already, thanks.

To add to boris's post:

There is a thread here on Doomworld under Doom Editing called Editing Tutorials.

Since that involves reading it is not accessed often, judging by the many

questions which could have been answered by scanning through the tutorials.

However, it is worthwhile to check at least the topics. One might find just what is

needed.

For that matter there is also a tutorial compendium on the ZDoom Wiki page.