Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Max Cady

screen capture of 1992-1993

Is those pics are a screen capture from 1992-1993 from id software? I think yes but it's my guest. The last one, I am confused though.

fig1.jpg

17.png

real2.jpg

DoomED.png

Last one is also awfully clean, so that was likely grabbed from a Virtual Machine.

The other three before it are definitely legit, though, and from articles about Doom's development that were written at the time or not long after.

Interestingly, the map in the screenshot looks to be an earlier version of E1M5. The blue key room is bigger, the 64-wide staircase isn't built and there's an extra linedef running along the central outdoor area. The alcove with the light goggles is also smaller. 

5 hours ago, Marn said:

Interestingly, the map in the screenshot looks to be an earlier version of E1M5. The blue key room is bigger, the 64-wide staircase isn't built and there's an extra linedef running along the central outdoor area. The alcove with the light goggles is also smaller. 

You mean the first one?

5 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Last one is also awfully clean, so that was likely grabbed from a Virtual Machine.

The other three before it are definitely legit, though, and from articles about Doom's development that were written at the time or not long after.

The second one is also very clean. 

Thx for your answers guys! 

I will make a effort to make a creative video montage of John Romero working on Doomed with his reflection on the screen. It's more than a picture. it's a video! 

Thx!

17 minutes ago, TheStupidestBeing said:

Maybe we can look at the textures, is there any map in Doom/Doom 2 with those textures seen in the image?

5 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

I have a easy question for you Dark pulse.

Saying that the first 3 are legit, and that the last one might not be legit, that only means one thing: That there is a doomed, playable on a virtual box that is exactly the same same thing as the original. Cause the last picture is the same thing as the other 3. So the question is: where is the file for that doomed playable in a virtual box?

If I could just grab it I will be ready for my video. Which is half done already. 

5 hours ago, Marn said:

Why the map in the first one is black and the other white? 

Is that possible that the original doomed's maps were in black? If this statement is true, then all the other pics are fake. 

Beside, you can clearly see in that picture that it is black.

pAqySx7.jpg

4 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

So the question is: where is the file for that doomed playable in a virtual box?

Its likely a compiled version that runs in that VM when that screen was made. The original source was released by Romero in this post.

2 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

Is that possible that the original doomed's maps were in black? If this statement is true, then all the other pics are fake. 

pAqySx7.jpg

Maybe they are screenshots of different versions of the engine, like, the white ones are the original versions used for Doom and the black ones are an update for, The Ultimate Doom, maybe?

7 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Its likely a compiled version that runs in that VM when that screen was made. The original source was released by Romero in this post.

wow! 

Maybe that is the holy grail for me. One question. If that would be a compiled version, that means Romero worked on a nextcube with doomstep? 

Cause I thought all along that wasnt the case cause of that pic. Since you said it's a compiled version, I still have doubt.

thx

By the way, what was the computer in that pic? I can't read the name of it due to bad resolution.

IIRC, DoomEd let you change color preferences just like modern editors do. Too lazy to fire up the VM to confirm. Not sure why anyone would be calling a screen cap fake, this stuff was released 5 years ago.

1 minute ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

IIRC, DoomEd let you change color preferences just like modern editors do. Too lazy to fire up the VM to confirm. Not sure why anyone would be calling a screen cap fake, this stuff was released 5 years ago.

What I mean by fake, is that I just want to confirm that those pictures are from 1992-1993 and not in a vm. That's what I meant. :-)

6 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

you do know that screenshots don't degrade over time if not converted to lossy formats over and over again? btw, here's even cleaner shot of the second one

B3O6oJmCIAAGMi0.png:large

10 minutes ago, ABRACADABRA said:

you do know that screenshots don't degrade over time if not converted to lossy formats over and over again? btw, here's even cleaner shot of the second one

B3O6oJmCIAAGMi0.png:large

thx! I saved it for my project.

28 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

I have a easy question for you Dark pulse.

Saying that the first 3 are legit, and that the last one might not be legit, that only means one thing: That there is a doomed, playable on a virtual box that is exactly the same same thing as the original. Cause the last picture is the same thing as the other 3. So the question is: where is the file for that doomed playable in a virtual box?

That's the VMDK I keep mentioning. I don't remember where I grabbed it, but I do have it downloaded. It may well be floating in that topic @Redneckerz linked to.

Basically, you create a Virtual Machine in something like Virtualbox, have it load the VMDK as the hard disk, and wham, bam, thank you ma'am.

27 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

pAqySx7.jpg

Pretty sure you could change the colors of the background, grid, etc.

2 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

That's the VMDK I keep mentioning. I don't remember where I grabbed it, but I do have it downloaded. It may well be floating in that topic @Redneckerz linked to.

Basically, you create a Virtual Machine in something like Virtualbox, have it load the VMDK as the hard disk, and wham, bam, thank you ma'am.

Pretty sure you could change the colors of the background, grid, etc.

The version you have is the one Romero shared in that forum?

26 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

wow! 

Maybe that is the holy grail for me. One question. If that would be a compiled version, that means Romero worked on a nextcube with doomstep? 

Romero worked on a Nextcube with Nextstep 

Cause I thought all along that wasnt the case cause of that pic. Since you said it's a compiled version, I still have doubt.

thx

I am not sure what is so confusing. That screen likely used the Doomed source in the Romero post to build the executable.

That executable was then started and a internal screenshot was made. Atleast that's how i think it went.

By the way, what was the computer in that pic? I can't read the name of it due to bad resolution.

Prob either a workstation or a Nextstation, i dunno.

23 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

What I mean by fake, is that I just want to confirm that those pictures are from 1992-1993 and not in a vm. That's what I meant. :-)

The program is from 1992-1993, the screenshot is not.

7 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

Romero worked on a Nextcube with Nextstep

Doing some maps I guess. 

I am not sure what is so confusing. That screen likely used the Doomed source in the Romero post to build the executable.

That executable was then started and a internal screenshot was made. Atleast that's how i think it went.

Prob either a workstation or a Nextstation, i dunno.

The nextstation was black. See the pic.

The keyboard was a AT101.

The program is from 1992-1993, the screenshot is not.

NeXTstation_@_Google_Office_NY.jpg

2 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

here is a link from romero that is very interesting:

https://rome.ro/news/2016/2/14/apple-next-merger-birthday

It specify that the first nextstep they bought was black. 

I'm french, does that mean the screen was black? I saw a boot of a nextstep 3.0 and it was all black and white. When Steve Jobs talked about it back then, it was in color...

He means the case was black. If you look very carefully behind Romero, you can see the NeXTCube poking out behind him (near his shoulder and head). And... it's black.

The white computer was probably some kind of PC, and he probably just swapped his monitor cable as necessary or whatever. Remember, they were developing on the NeXT systems, then pushing it to a DOS PC and compiling it there.

5 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

He means the case was black. If you look very carefully behind Romero, you can see the NeXTCube poking out behind him (near his shoulder and head).

The white computer was probably some kind of PC, and he probably just swapped his monitor cable as necessary or whatever.

wow man. You mean that??? Are you sure? seems small to me

NeXTcube.jpg

Image 1.png

Just now, bipolarmaximus said:

wow man. You mean that??? Are you sure? 

NeXTcube.jpg

Image 1.png

I'm pretty sure. While I can't be 100% sure for obvious reasons, that looks like some kind of tamper-evident sticker that companies like id would put on the hardware to signify who it belonged to and such, and it's immediately on the other side of his monitor like the other PC is, so my guess is that that's the NeXTcube.

Can't think of nearly anything else that'd be nearly half the height of the monitor yet fit on the desk, anyway.

3 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

here is the pdf of the nextcube. its a 17'' screen. That means the cube is like 8''.

nextcube.zip

He's clearly not using the original monitor at that point.

It's a NEC MultiSync of some make, but I can't make out exactly what kind.

You impress me a lot since I really didnt notice that at all. 

the nextcube monitor is monochrome display it says. Black and white? strange.

What am I saying. if the screen was 17'', then the cube was like 19''. My mistake

7 minutes ago, bipolarmaximus said:

You impress me a lot since I really didnt notice that at all. 

the nextcube monitor is monochrome display it says. Black and white? strange.

The first NeXTs were monochrome, yes. Color was later (i.e; by Doom's time). Remember the first NeXT hardware was released in, what, 1988?

Oh, I figured out the monitor. I'm 98% sure it's a NEC MultiSync 6FG.

Also, there's definitely a "Intel Inside" badge on the white PC, confirming that's not NeXT hardware. While it COULD run on a 386, most NeXT hardware was 68000-based.

Edited by Dark Pulse