Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

What if Trent Reznor made a soundtrack for a Doom game?

It's just a random "what if" scenario, but considering how Mick Gordon's music is like metal combined with digital stuff, I'm curious about what "Reznor Doom" would sound like and it's reception. My own guess is that it would probably be atmospheric in some way and definitely have white noise incorporated into it.

I've been a Reznor fan for a couple of years now and he's very much capable of doing a more aggressive, hard hitting and experimental sound like what Gordon has established for the newer Doom games given his extensive body of work. I'd certainly be hyped for it if such a thing were to occur.

It's incomplete but there's a Reznor sound pack mod for Doom 3.

3 minutes ago, Gez said:

It's incomplete but there's a Reznor sound pack mod for Doom 3.

I'm guessing it's cut content, right?

6 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

I've been a Reznor fan for a couple of years now and he's very much capable of doing a more aggressive, hard hitting and experimental sound like what Gordon has established for the newer Doom games given his extensive body of work. I'd certainly be hyped for it if such a thing were to occur.

I've listened to a few of his albums, so I think he could do it if he wanted and if the devs asked for it.

Considering his history with id, he'd probably be down for it. Reznor's a pretty busy guy though, always doing a thousand projects at once cos he's an ambitious mofo hehe so they'd have to catch him at the right time.

32 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

Considering his history with id, he'd probably be down for it. Reznor's a pretty busy guy though, always doing a thousand projects at once cos he's an ambitious mofo hehe so they'd have to catch him at the right time.

That's true, I think he's currently busy with The Watchmen soundtrack or something.

1 hour ago, DangerousDave said:

Leaked alpha content. For various reasons it's technically not legal to share around.

10 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Leaked alpha content. For various reasons it's technically not legal to share around.

I tried it years ago. The weapon sounds especially were a lot better, but there was a bug where the soldier you speak to when you get off the ship at the beginning of the game spouts a trailer voice over line of some kind rather than his actual dialogue. Kind of funny but spoiled the immersion somewhat.

2 hours ago, DangerousDave said:

Yeah, kinda.

What happened, as best I can piece, was that they got contracted Reznor to make the Doom 3 soundtrack, then Reznor found out it was a lot more work than the Quake soundtrack had been, so he asked for more money to be worth his time, which id couldn't afford, so the deal was off. But he had already produced a bunch of sounds, which were included in an alpha build of Doom 3 that was leaked, and the Reznor sound pack mod was made from ripping this leaked alpha.

The definitive Doom 3 soundtrack was made by Chris Vrenna (who was in NIN at the time of the Quake soundtrack, and during which he befriended American McGee, which would result in him doing the Alice soundtrack later) and Clint Walsh (who I suppose was brought in by Vrenna since the both of them made the band Tweaker).

Anyway, since the Reznor deal fell through, apparently id no longer had the right to use the sounds Reznor already produced, which is why they were all replaced in the release version.

It would probably be Quake 2 all over again, which I don't mind at all since the soundtrack in that game was stunning. And thankfully the games would be better than it.

As about Doom 3, yeah there is a leaked pack with the sound effects that Trent made before someone else took over, and it's a marked improvement, weapons are a lot more satisfying to use with that. Their story is rather simple though, as id hired Trent to handle the duties again, he later realized that it was a lot more work to do than Quake 2 was, and as a result demanded more money for the job, which was more than id was willing or could invest, so they got someone else to do it instead, which led to the now infamous "Trent is a rock star, and wanted to be paid in rock star dollars" phrase. As the deal failed, or rather the terms changed, id obviously couldn't just use his sounds in the final product, so we got, what we got.

Bit of a shame he didn't manage to finish more of them. I personally didn't find issues with it in the short time I played D3 though, but apparently it has some according to Murdoch above.

Edited by seed

1 hour ago, seed said:

Quake 2

NIN made the first Quake soundtrack, but just the base game. The Quake 1 expansion packs had soundtracks made by Jeehun Hwang and Rob Patterson. Quake II was by Sonic Mayhem. Quake 3 was by Sonic Mayhem and Front Line Assembly. Quake 4, like Doom 3, was by Chris Vrenna and Clint Walsh. Quake Champion by Chris Vrenna and Andrew Hulschult; while Quake Live reuses Quake 3's soundtrack.

20 minutes ago, Gez said:

NIN made the first Quake soundtrack, but just the base game. The Quake 1 expansion packs had soundtracks made by Jeehun Hwang and Rob Patterson. Quake II was by Sonic Mayhem. Quake 3 was by Sonic Mayhem and Front Line Assembly. Quake 4, like Doom 3, was by Chris Vrenna and Clint Walsh. Quake Champion by Chris Vrenna and Andrew Hulschult; while Quake Live reuses Quake 3's soundtrack.

Heh, alright then.

Looks like it's a mess in my mind again as of late.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Bit of a shame he didn't manage to finish more of them. I personally didn't find issues with it in the short time I played D3 though, but apparently it has some according to Murdoch above.

It is entirely probable you played a fixed version of the pack.

Just me or are the weapon sounds in the Reznor pack the same as the enemy firearms? Which did indeed sound better than the player's.

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

It'd sound like this, of course.

It sounds like Trent Reznor's PC broke or something on that specific note, crazy to think that Reznor's bad chords sound that bad and seem like a computer malfunction.

I have a hard time imagining a Reznor soundtrack would gel all that well with the campy/borderline self-parody tone of the new games. Would like to see one in a new Quake or something though.