Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
arnaldocsf

What horror themed WADS do you recommend?

I think in Doom like a game with the right mix of Horror/Sci-fi/Action. 

This said, I like WADs with that kind of theme, especially the weird ones. 

So, whats your recommendation? :)

Cyriak made a hell of a megaWAD once upon a time called "Going Down" where you're on an elevator descending into utter madness with each succeeding level. It's not horrifying in the traditional sense, but if you're at all familiar with his animations on YouTube then you know shit gets really fucking weird really fucking fast.

Hopefully, it's weird enough for ya ;^)

Most successfully horror theme wads are for ZDoom derivatives.

Cold as Hell: Special Edition - It a great megawad, and pretty difficult. Its kinda like a Doom 3 meets Soldier of Fortune, meets Silent Hill. Spooky as hell and great story with hub areas and a lot of non linear progress.

City of the Damned: Apocalypse - It uses a lot of Blood assets and new ones to make a distintive look. You explore a corrupted city and what secret lies inside their walls.

Unloved - You are confined to your house that start to show signs of decay and corruption all around. Its a really grat Doom on Hexen mod, so expect to touch a switch that opens a door in a place really far from you. Great experience, but more Doomey that the listed before.

Total Chaos - Your ship gets broken and you have to land on a deserted island... or that you think. This is a Resident Evil meets Silent Hill meets Minecraft crafting mechanics. Awesome but you need a really powerfull machine to run it properly.

Dismantle - You wake up on an underground shelter full of strange things. Pretty unique approach and great all around. Unfortunatelly, it isn't complete yet...

The Ghoul's Forest 3 - You are a hunter set to face the most dreadfuls demons ever. Great and really difficult mod, you will die and shit your pants really easily.

Lasting Light - Escape from Doom unto the realm of a horrendous ghastly that will chase you all around. Not soo good as the ones mentioned above, but fun while it last.

Solace Dreams - You are a girl that woke up in a strange place. Really grat mod, but you need a powerful machine to run it.

Soundless Mound - You are alone on a departament complex. Really great adaptation of Silent Hill aesthetic to Doom.

This are the ones i most played until i left the zdoom scene like 3 years ago. But i usually have a crave for more horror content and i searched for more, but theres not much, or it isn't particularly interesting to me. Just Slender the Eight Page wannabe. So check this out as i don't know if you would find more aside from this.

Not quite horror in that sense of the word, but Shadows from the Nightmare Realm.

doom2512.png

Abyssion by Death-Destiny

A very good creepy tech base map.

Happy Time Circus

Happy Time Circus ][

dead.wire

dead.air

Two Alien themed wads:

DBP04: Xenomorph Base

DBP17: alone

Strange Aeons - Not so much horror, just moderately Lovecraftian

Definitely recommend GF3, played that a good amount before I got really into Doom. Going Down only has a bit of body horror in the mapping later on; I absolutely recommend it, it was one of the first few megawads I played and it's still my favorite.

Umbra of Fate

The main character goes on a hunt, but when he returns in the evening, he gets lost and finds himself in a strange place.

Cheogsh
Dumguy is again in a strange place, and he has to get out of there.

It also has two sequels, Cheogsh 2 (a very large wad with a number of maps between which you can navigate like in Strife) and Realm of Cheogsh, but they are no longer so "horror", especially the last one.

Hellfire Dreams
One of the many wads of the HellFire series. But unlike the others, in this event occurs in the dreams of dumguy, so wait for some strange things.
This is not scary in the usual sense of the word, but it haunts some rather unusual, somewhat surrealistic themes, such as a map with a large museum.

Nobody seems to bring this one up but Project Horror is a really good horror-themed gameplay mod which makes everything much darker and atmospheric, adds a new arsenal of weapons and most importantly the enemies you encounter.

19 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Unloved - You are confined to your house that start to show signs of decay and corruption all around. Its a really grat Doom on Hexen mod, so expect to touch a switch that opens a door in a place really far from you. Great experience, but more Doomey that the listed before.

Just played it, clocking at about 4h, it is a really cool mod but it is way too hard at parts. Only managed to finish it with some cheating involved at some points (low ammo and low health when facing cybers? Not for me.) but it does mean I got to read the funny IDDQD / IDKFA messages :D

(and the IDCLIP one too but that I only used after finishing to walk around the set)

6 hours ago, kalaeth said:

Just played it, clocking at about 4h, it is a really cool mod but it is way too hard at parts. Only managed to finish it with some cheating involved at some points (low ammo and low health when facing cybers? Not for me.) but it does mean I got to read the funny IDDQD / IDKFA messages :D

(and the IDCLIP one too but that I only used after finishing to walk around the set)

Yes, in certain parts it is pretty unbalanced an kinda slaughterish, but it is possible to beat that parts with a little previous aknowledge of it. I remember playing it on UV back then, and really rage quiting a few times, but i managed to get through till the end.

After that, i found a version of Beautiful Doom that add different things in separate ways (v5.3 i think with one wad for weapons, one wad for graphics, and wad for monsters) and it really made the experience more enjoyable with the weapon enhancements.

14 hours ago, AL-97 said:

Atmosfear by Dragonfly is a cool, dark, brooding single level horror project.

Bad part of that wad is that the flashlight discharge a little too fast and it had a really slow charging time, aside from that, i love the surroundings and the atmosphere, but never get me to end it, don't know why.

On 5/24/2020 at 1:19 PM, P41R47 said:

Soundless Mound - You are alone on a departament complex. Really great adaptation of Silent Hill aesthetic to Doom.

I haven't played too many horror themed wads, but I did play this one and highly recommend it.  It's quite well done, rather creepy, and has some really neat design elements.  And that's coming from someone who finds Silent Hill boring.

Not really horror but Hellcore 2.0 can be pretty scary with the right set of maps.

I use L4D Gameplay Mod, Nightshift and a lot of horror addons to make it have the horror feeling it deserves.

UNSURE is very good too. - https://www.moddb.com/mods/unsure

Honestly what I would love to find is some kind of Bloodborne-ish WADs, which seem to be the ones that lack more on the community. (?) (Gothic Horror)

What you can find most are spoopy mods though, like the ones I told ya.

Well i don't know if this would count as "horror" but i've been told my ultimate doom wad has horror and action in it. It's a Inspiration map set form Stickely Installation from Snaxalotl. There are two episodes so far and i am working on the third one at this moment. If you wanna check it out here it is:

i haven't seen it here yet (surprisingly) but myhouse.wad is absolutely amazing

(if this helps with any problem i used doom 2 and zdl to run it)

13 hours ago, acs said:

i haven't seen it here yet (surprisingly) but myhouse.wad

I am not surprised that myhouse.wad hadn't been brought up in a thread that was predominantly active in the year 2020.