Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CeeJay

Duke Nukem 3D total conversion

Hey, is anybody intrested in creating a Duke Nukem total conversion together with me? It sure would be a great challenge, but it can be done using a port such as ZDoom. And i'm not talking about a lame pacth that replaces only some weapons and a few items, i am talking about replacing everything to make it look and feel like Duke Nukem 3D including Duke's speeches!.
Levels however shall be original and not based on those from Duke... of course. Please, please! If anybody is intrested email me at c_eejay@hotmail.com. At this point i'm begging on my knees for help.

Besides, I'm dead certain that 3dRealms would fox that project - they already foxed a project which recreated E1m1 of Dn3d in the...which engine was that? The HL engine?

kristus said:

why? the only remotely good thing about duke3d, was the engine.

The engine was cool, but hasn't been updated (at least not with a full featured, reliable port). Sure it still does stuff that Doom engines can't, but a great deal of it is archaic too.

CeeJay:

I know you said Duke levels won't be part of it, but there was someone making a Duke to Doom converter (sorry, don't remember who). I could be useful. There should be a link on these forums somewhere.

Yeah - the idea sounds ok, but think about it - how many people play doom to play duke3d? It's like converting doom to hexen, who wants it done?

kristus said:

why? the only remotely good thing about duke3d, was the engine.

The hell? The Build engine in it's incarnation there was the most buggy thing ever. How else could clipping outside of 'legal' game areas result in a fatal crash?

pritch said:

The hell? The Build engine in it's incarnation there was the most buggy thing ever. How else could clipping outside of 'legal' game areas result in a fatal crash?

What the? The worst thing noclipping out of playerspace ever did to me in 1.3d was instantly kill Duke.

Trasher][ said:
What the? The worst thing noclipping out of playerspace ever did to me in 1.3d was instantly kill Duke.

If you play on some of the custom maps out there, it can crash when you noclip into void space. (certain maps have done this to me before)

Sure, I'll help out. Tell me what you need and I can get it. We'll use the EDGE engine : it can emulate things that Zdoom or Legacy can't. Give me an e-mail and we'll figure something out.

Ultimate DooMer said:

If you play on some of the custom maps out there, it can crash when you noclip into void space. (certain maps have done this to me before)

Or if you set up a teleporting water pool and somehow make the start and destination not quite the same size - BLAM! when you jump in the water, instant crash. All DOS prompty with big graphics letter mode.

Come to think of it, I managed to get that even when I had my teleporting pools EXACTLY the same size.

Enjay said:

Or if you set up a teleporting water pool and somehow make the start and destination not quite the same size - BLAM! when you jump in the water, instant crash. All DOS prompty with big graphics letter mode.

That's the one. But I've seen water pools that, if you enter at an awkward position (usually near the edge), sometimes you get killed, sometimes it crashes (even on Atomic) and sometimes nothing unusual happens.

Yup, just sneaking your toes into the water by carefully stepping off the edge was the best way to get the crash. A big running jump into the middle of the pool was usually OK (presumably because you teleported well clear of the enclosing walls and void around the destination).

And now that Zdoom can do a similar type of deep pool, I had set one up very wrongly and got teleported miles out into the void, but was able to noclip back into the play area without any problems.

CeeJay said:

Hey, is anybody intrested in creating a Duke Nukem total conversion together with me?

I had planned on a Duke3D conversion as my next project, but I've sworn off conversions for a while. Too much freaking work. Which reminds me, I'd better get back to unfinished business before Nigel strangles me with the chain around my scrawny neck.