Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zolgia108

Happy (Now on Idgames!)

Changelog 19/06, 3 a.m. here.

Finally completed map 16: Nexus, still to be tested so i am not sure about it :)

5 teleporters, each of them has a sort of "trial" and an archvile to kill in order to go on, each of them has a secret that i wish you won't find (for your sake).

Happy ending with a mass mess.

Oh and also added exit markers in most of the maps (the ones which needed them) since i saw that many people don't like to suddenly stumble into the exit without even knowing it.

Recorded two more maps from ep. 2. Good stuff so far! I wrote some comments in desriptions of vids. Some sections are really dark

Spoiler

you are very kind, i really like how you play my maps, also it's a different playstile so it's useful for me to understand what may and may not happen to other players besides the ones who already tested them. I am glad :)

Thank you! kinda easy and that's more or less what i wanted, i noticed that the music was annoying there so i am changing the track. Nice Run you are always fun to watch, and this time you even found 2 secrets!! Make maps so that i can play as well!

I am now working on a long open slaughter-ish map:

Spoiler

doom00.png.5ac93ce49407eac835a2f80a77af764c.png

The first part of it is now complete so maybe I can post what I have now. 

25 minutes ago, el_inf said:

I am now working on a long open slaughter-ish map:

Reveal hidden contents

doom00.png.5ac93ce49407eac835a2f80a77af764c.png

The first part of it is now complete so maybe I can post what I have now. 

looks real cool! (97%) don't forget to tell me once it's done or half done, i will gladly test it :)

i really enjoyed your style hahahahaah

Yes last fight was meant to be trivial i mean i wanted to show this huge horde of demons with no sense at all, just a big slaughter. The other fights were well thought and ithink you managed them quite well. I am sorry for that key it's the second time a player doesn't find it immediately so i guess i will fix it up somehow. The waterfalls are done with the scroll in gz that's why they looked a bit weird.

I absolutely love to see you running like a crazy man!

You even found the gimmick secret omg that was only for the toughest guys, i m so proud

@el_inf sry for the double post i couldnt write anything before

1 hour ago, el_inf said:

I beat next 3 maps. I thought that I was still playing ep2 maps, but no. 

Hide contents

omg m8 i laughed so hard from top to bottom ahhaahah

so... that switch sure is ugly omg i need to fix it right away lol i never noticed that!

btw, were you playing on hmp? There should have been another archvile in the bfg secret in map 13 (only in uv) but it didn't show up.

And yes i am taking inspiration from sunlust a lot, especially in the colours and in some of the fights, like those turretted archviles and chaingunners), i also took many textures from it, it's one of my favourite megawads :)

You were SLOPPY (as you told me hahahahah) especially in map 14 since it should have been a sort of breather, but i guess that it can happen with all those hitscanners.

I need to fix the ending in map 13 cause if you die and press a button it doesn't end the level. Also you played map 15 without pistol start imagine that map with no ssg until the main hall hahahaha.

Finally, yes the cyberdemon can follow you everywhere but it is entirely skippable as well if you go down the elevator, i wanted to make it as a threat, it's not easy to understand what to do in that confusion (at one point you almost got the bfg secret... one of the windows on the right is lower you stopped right on the ledge dammit ahahahah).

Anyway, thank you for playing them. if you want i can send another link with map 16 but it is still to be tested, or else you can play episode one :)

Edited by Zolgia108

Yeah, I realized that it is hmp somewhere in the middle but it didn't helped me either) 

Your wad is indeed "a little harder than usual" 

And yes, I dont like picabu shooting hitscan with 1hp

I think I will play ep 1 now, no rush with map 16

Changelog 24/06

Map 16 was tested and it should be okay

fixed some minor issues (like missing textures and stuff like that) in a couple of maps

started a better detailing of map 01 and map 02

Added intermission texts withing episodes, (3 for now)

Map 17 is in the wad but please don't play it, it has no exit, it is still unfinished and i still didn't add the textures via slade so it is basically unplayable :) It's in there just because it will be done by the end of the week and i already placed it inside the whole wad, my mistake ;)

I haven't play-tested yet but I read in the comments that people were having a hard time with it. If you already have the maps balanced how you like them, then I recommend that, when changing maps for lower difficulties, focus more on adding more items instead of removing more monsters. For example, add more rocket ammo or a mega armor or soulspheres and so on.

Also, is this map set really only GZDoom-compatible? Because that's a huge turn off for me. Are you using things that only run in GZDoom? If you're not using any fancy scripts, aim for limit-removing or boom-compatibility

38 minutes ago, RonnieColeman said:

I haven't play-tested yet but I read in the comments that people were having a hard time with it. If you already have the maps balanced how you like them, then I recommend that, when changing maps for lower difficulties, focus more on adding more items instead of removing more monsters. For example, add more rocket ammo or a mega armor or soulspheres and so on.

Also, is this map set really only GZDoom-compatible? Because that's a huge turn off for me. Are you using things that only run in GZDoom? If you're not using any fancy scripts, aim for limit-removing or boom-compatibility

So, some levels still need to be better thought in other difficulties, but i already did that, for example level 16 (last one i completed) has a soulsphere in lower difficulties that is not present in uv, so it is something that i actually did.

As for the compatibility, i said that i tested it on gz but there shouldn't be any problem with other ones as well, pr boom compatibility, im not using anything fancy, i am building maps with zdoom hexen, so it shouldn't be a problem, it's just that i didn't play it in boom. I will do that asap and tell you if that's doable :)

Can you tell me some example of things that wouldn't work in it? so that i may be able to answer in advance.

Thank you!

PS: this mapset is surely hard, and i am not doing a linear difficulty progression, every episode has its own curve. I want it to be engaging but not impossible, until now i think that people like @el_inf and @HAK3180 can tell you that it is not that insane. They played basically every map and they never found any impossible rng kinda stuff. But they quite the experienced players. I have though the example of my brother who is the first tester, he can finish everything and he always plays on uv, but he is not a doomgod so i mean, we are not talking about sunlusts type of difficulty, this is way easier, but it can't be everybody's cup of tea. I accept the fact that difficulties need to be implemented of course and that not everyone plays only uv, but i don't want to change my initial idea of what this wad should be either. I don't know if i explained well what i mean but i hope i was exhaustive:)

Edited by Zolgia108

I don't make maps (yet) so I can't tell you specifically what wouldn't work in Crispy or Boom. I think that as long as you are not using any scripting then your maps should be playable in Crispy Doom, which would be great! I recommend you play-test your maps on PrBoom+ or GLBoom+ with all of the warnings turned on so that you will know when there are overflows occurring.

Woops - I dunno what just happened. I pressed Ctrl+I to disable italics and it posted my post multiple times

And as for the warnings - I think some of the warnings only apply to vanilla Doom (Chocolate Doom). Sorry I can't be more specific but I think there is a bug that occurs if there are too many monsters and it cannot calculate all of their lines of sight, but this only occurs in vanilla/Chocolate Doom

3 minutes ago, RonnieColeman said:

I don't make maps (yet) so I can't tell you specifically what wouldn't work in Crispy or Boom. I think that as long as you are not using any scripting then your maps should be playable in Crispy Doom, which would be great! I recommend you play-test your maps on PrBoom+ or GLBoom+ with all of the warnings turned on so that you will know when there are overflows occurring.

well i tried running it on both gl and pr and it doesn't even starts, it says "R_init_textures: 8 errors". I ll try to figure this one out. I don't use any particular scripts so i don't think it should be that hard to fix

These maps are not going to be compatible with Boom. Hexen format is different. It's plausible that you could convert it to Boom, depending on which features you're actually using and/or which you'd be willing to give up for Boom compatibility, but you're this far already. Converting all the way to limit-removing (Crispy) would be a huge pain and may drastically alter some situations.

I think it should run in regular old ZDoom though.

I finish whole thing (it was 15 maps, when i download). And Jesus you are so cruel person xD
I afraid i don't have anything really useful to say, just my opinion. I play it with big breaks because whole experience was good but in make me very tired. Your "normal maps" always makes me approach them slowly and careful because every step can release another FUCKING ARCHVILE on my back. I dont think is wrong but it makes whole experience very tired and overwhelming, what works well with whole esthetics.  So if you try to make oppressive atmosphere, you succeeded.
But there are some slaughter maps as well and they are the best in my opinion. Mostly because they don't take forever to clear it like most slaughter maps. With some strategy and monsters infight you can see how your kill count increase very fast which is very fun.
Major Flaw in my opinion is darkness level. It' cool and stuff but when i have to fight in the rooms where i can see things only ones for a few seconds when lights go on it's just annoying. Also i think that you could put some more health in some maps. Fights are difficult so it would be nice to get restock before another one. 
And i see that matter was already point it here so I just say: "That red room with Cyberdemon". Dont ever dare to tell me that i make something too nuts! xD

i was doing some searching and i thought that the error it gave me was because of png textures so i converted all of them now but it still gives me the error so i guess i don't know what i should do, fact is that i don't even know the differences between these ports so i've got no real clue on what i am supposed to do :(

i will ask my brother for help but i can't assure anything, i didn't think that gz doom was that big of a deal to use. i mean @RonnieColeman why can't you use it? just out of curiosity

4 minutes ago, Pełzająca Część Twarzy said:

I finish whole thing (it was 15 maps, when i download). And Jesus you are so cruel person xD
I afraid i don't have anything really useful to say, just my opinion. I play it with big breaks because whole experience was good but in make me very tired. Your "normal maps" always makes me approach them slowly and careful because every step can release another FUCKING ARCHVILE on my back. I dont think is wrong but it makes whole experience very tired and overwhelming, what works well with whole esthetics.  So if you try to make oppressive atmosphere, you succeeded.
But there are some slaughter maps as well and they are the best in my opinion. Mostly because they don't take forever to clear it like most slaughter maps. With some strategy and monsters infight you can see how your kill count increase very fast which is very fun.
Major Flaw in my opinion is darkness level. It' cool and stuff but when i have to fight in the rooms where i can see things only ones for a few seconds when lights go on it's just annoying. Also i think that you could put some more health in some maps. Fights are difficult so it would be nice to get restock before another one. 
And i see that matter was already point it here so I just say: "That red room with Cyberdemon". Dont ever dare to tell me that i make something too nuts! xD

hahahahha

"that red room with the cyberdemon" will be my next meme

i actually put so much love in that trap ahahahah

Anyway, thank you so much for playing it all through. I like that you pointed out the "oppressive atmosphere", i was afraid i couldn't replicate that (my previous noobish megawad, Djinn, was much more oppressive) but it seems that i could! So i am really happy (pun intended). I will follow your advice and add some health here and there, i will test it more and more again i mean this is just the fist half so i still have much work to do, we are at early stages. When i play a megawad i never go all in with it i mean i take it step by step, as i did with both scythes or sunlust or valiant, when it comes to challenging megawads it's okay to feel overwhelmed after a certain map. Would you ever continue playing after finishing scythe 2 map 22 the garden base?i mean maybe someone would, i wouldn't cause it really consumes me. That doesn't mean that i don't like it, just that it is hard (for me) and that i need a break.

Thanks again :)

1 hour ago, Zolgia108 said:

i mean @RonnieColeman why can't you use it? just out of curiosity

Because GZDoom is fake and gay. It can't even run demos made from any source port that isn't GZDoom. Chocolate/Crispy/Boom can all run demos recorded from each other. I'm just one of those people who refuses to use GZDoom especially if the map does not use any scripting that requires GZDoom

When you are play-testing your own maps, do you play with saves?

1 hour ago, RonnieColeman said:

Because GZDoom is fake and gay. It can't even run demos made from any source port that isn't GZDoom. Chocolate/Crispy/Boom can all run demos recorded from each other. I'm just one of those people who refuses to use GZDoom especially if the map does not use any scripting that requires GZDoom

When you are play-testing your own maps, do you play with saves?

i mean... i don't know exactly why you are being rude with me, but i for example have all these ports and i can change in case of maps that require something specific, it's not that big of an issue. When i started mapping i was using just gz doom and i got used to the z hexen mapping, so i continued using it, noone ever told me that it could have been a problem. In case you want to try my maps you can download gz doom, in the meantime i will work on an eventual port, but that will require some time cause i will need the help of my brother which is more into these stuff.

I playtest my maps lots and lots of times, with saves, i am not creating a mapset for a single segment on uv, single segment is a sort of masochistic challenge that some people like and most don't, i can understand that but  it's really impossible to build a megawad around that concept. The only thing that can be done is not putting too many rng fights, and i think i did that until now. For example: i follow Decino on youtube and he recently managed to single segment all of Sunlust, different tries for each map, after practicing and knowing every particular, and Sunlust has tons of rng based fights which can ruin your day (see map 30 for example, or map 28).

As i said previously i made it hmp single segment till map 15 (i didnt try 16 just because it wasn't done yet). In UV i tried and i completed map 1 2 3, but i still didn't try the other ones, not because they can't be single segmented, i still don't know about that, but just because i'm prioritizing mapping.

Do you play without saves?

PS: i don't think that the main custom monster in the wad would work without z or gz, and i don't really want to remove it

Edited by Zolgia108

19 minutes ago, Zolgia108 said:

i don't know exactly why you are being rude with me

Chill out; it wasn't a personal attack. I was answering the question, "Why don't you play with GZDoom?" The only GZDoom map set I play is Adventures of Square

Yea I only play without saves. If I am having trouble, I will save and replay one segment over and over until it no longer gives me trouble, but then I start the map over and try to beat it without saves. The trick is you don't jump straight into UV. You beat the map on skill 2 first, or skill 1 even, so that you can learn the map. Then you do skill 3, then skill 4. I admit that if I cannot beat it on UV I look up the secrets. Of course not every map is equal - I still haven't touched Ribbiks' maps yet; I'm still relatively new. Anyway, you will get a lot better at the game if you beat every map with pistol-start and no-saves. I know there are players who claim that skills 1 and 2 are too easy, yet they cannot beat them without saving.

10 minutes ago, RonnieColeman said:

Chill out; it wasn't a personal attack. I was answering the question, "Why don't you play with GZDoom?" The only GZDoom map set I play is Adventures of Square

Yea I only play without saves. If I am having trouble, I will save and replay one segment over and over until it no longer gives me trouble, but then I start the map over and try to beat it without saves. The trick is you don't jump straight into UV. You beat the map on skill 2 first, or skill 1 even, so that you can learn the map. Then you do skill 3, then skill 4. I admit that if I cannot beat it on UV I look up the secrets. Of course not every map is equal - I still haven't touched Ribbiks' maps yet; I'm still relatively new. Anyway, you will get a lot better at the game if you beat every map with pistol-start and no-saves. I know there are players who claim that skills 1 and 2 are too easy, yet they cannot beat them without saving.

sry you sounded slightly angry, just a misunderstanding there :)

well, about the rest, we all have our different way of playing, i personally think (mind that this is still a wip so it will need to be well balanced after more people will test it) that as the guy that i mentioned could end sunlust singlesegment in uv, this mapset can be done, i am positive, even if i am not that great of a player. If you analyze each map and each secret, and if you know exactly what to do (necessary for a single segment uv gameplay) you can definetely beat these maps, but they are hard so you will need to be a good player and to analyze them more than usual :)

It's something that i will try myself of course.

Oh the maps are conceived as pistol start, one thing that i should do is probably add health at the end of each level for players that do continuos gameplay, that i forgot :)

11 minutes ago, Doom fan said:

It will be good to have very few enemies on it.

hi m8! what do you mean? :)