Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zolgia108

Happy (Now on Idgames!)

I don't think you should rely on that, it's too rng. Maybe it's better to resurrect some stuff using underground archies? 

3 minutes ago, el_inf said:

I don't think you should rely on that, it's too rng. Maybe it's better to resurrect some stuff using underground archies? 

i like the idea but i don't think it 's doable in that layout, where should i place them?

You can add some "wells" near teleporters with corpses. Another variant is to make a new monster, like comander keen in sunlust map 30, which is invisible, does not have a hitbox and resurrects monsters and place him on teleporters. But I've never made a custom monster so I am not sure if it's possible)

1 minute ago, el_inf said:

You can add some "wells" near teleporters with corpses. Another variant is to make a new monster, like comander keen in sunlust map 30, which is invisible, does not have a hitbox and resurrects monsters and place him on teleporters. But I've never made a custom monster so I am not sure if it's possible)

commander keen in sunlust, i don't know if i can use it extracting it from their wad, i mean i don't know if they left the permission, i guess it wouldn't be a problem. But in that case it would be more like some random monsters together with a big archie, the effect would be surely cool but still "copied". i don't know bud i guess i m gonna leave it easy, map 17 is more or less hard so it should be fine to have a breather sometimes. But i am still thinking about it to be honest.

Also I dont really like big flat arenas, some verticality would make the gameplay a bit more interesting. But mb here it is not needed

that is totally understandable, try to see this map (as map 07 and 13) as some kind of lore and  passage levels that don't give much to gameplay, i like to breathe too sometimes^^

i just wanted to create some atmosphere with both the music and the place itself, just that. And i m still at my second mapping experience so i still have much to learn in terms of architecture

I finally played map 6. Couldn't find the last monster for some reason, maybe it was secret. Teleporters were a bit slow I think (especially cacos)

Also I didn't really bothered but is there a way to backtrack? 

Spoiler

1 hour ago, el_inf said:

I finally played map 6. Couldn't find the last monster for some reason, maybe it was secret. Teleporters were a bit slow I think (especially cacos)

Also I didn't really bothered but is there a way to backtrack? 

Hide contents

last monster is in a secret... :(

im sorry about last area, it was the first time i tried a slaughter and it will probably the last one as well, also i fixed some stuff (like the cyberdemon in the center) and the crackos. In the annoying room with blood in the first half the door was supposed to close behind you, don't know what happened there. I really don't know what to do with this map, maybe i should just cut it off, or maybe i should remove the slaughter part cause it's really out of place. There is no way to backtrack, i will surely put it, i just forgot. sorry dude, one of my first in this set :( Cacos come when you hit one of the switches, but if you clear everything first then they become rather pointless, i don't really know how to make things more interesting. The area is too big for it to be threatening, also there are too many invulnerabilities, i should put just 2 and third one for lower difficulties maybe. But my main concern right now is wheter to keep the map or not^^

4 hours ago, Zolgia108 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

don't really know how to make things more interesting. 

At least making slaughtermaps in zdoom format is a bad idea: mainly because of flying monsters behavior (I also prefer to have infinite height in such fights). This arena was too easy to really make a difference but it was already really annoying to clear them of. 

I recommend you to play sunder to see how to design a good slaughter arena. I haven't played it a lot but maps 7 and 17 are my favourites for now. 

Couple of solutions: you can make some pits on sides (behind the archi nests) so that you have to go through center to circumstrafe properly. You may also put some platforming into those pits if you are a sadist. 

If it was boom format map then you could make caco spawner on sides so that they block your circustrafe path. 

Some small geometry variation maybe (I really like how it is done in sunder map 7) 

If you just add another 1k hks and 20 cybers then the fight will also become a bit more interesting, of course

But maybe its indeed better to just make another map) 

Since this is basically the only slaughter situation (excluding the big horde in map 12, which is clearable in less than 10 minutes and not really considerable as slaughter, but more as trivial horde coming at you with no meaning ahhaah) i guess i will just cut off that part of the map, in case adding another section.

PS: thanks a lot for playing it, i want to make a good megawad and you are helping me a lot. When you have time try map 04 and tell me your thoughts on it, but first create a new map so that i can play and record too, i just finished sunlust again and i am bored!

Changelog 02 07

all maps in episode one were fixed and slightly renewed.

Map 05 has no green marble anymore, to stick with he theme of the episode (it didn't make any sense, but it was made before i had in mind the episode itself), so now textures fits in better.

no more slaughter arena in map 06, as per advice by many people,  i added a whole new area instead.

New link is in the first post.

301902844_Map063.png.0f0390b8dd886bad5bde38346355552c.png

7 minutes ago, Doom fan said:

It looks rough on your hair.

i don't know what it means :(

i was searching on some kind of urban dictionary but i can't find a translation, HELP

Afterparty  Is this wad done?

Azt írtam, hogy nagyon durván néz ki a pálya csak így tovább.

4 minutes ago, Doom fan said:

Afterparty  Is this wad done?

Azt írtam, hogy nagyon durván néz ki a pálya csak így tovább.

party!!!!

man i am sorry creating maps is not that easy and quick, i am working on map 19, you can play the first 18 maps if you want and tell me what do you think of them :)

Changelog 05/07

added Map 19, opener to episode 4

Short map with some tricky situations, slightly weird. It was tested but i'm still not completely sure about it, it may still have some issues :)

223288615_Map19pic1.png.6910d4e2be3ef0e774efce178d7b656e.png

I finished map 19. Slightly weird, as you said. I didn't get why earthquake was here. This map kind of forces you to play more safely than usual. My first playthrough took about 30 minutes and I played like a complete trash so I decided to make a saveless run of it.

Played much more calmly this time because you don't get too much health and ammo here. Also I didn't find any secrects.

Some comments:

Soulsphere and berserk placement was a bit strange.

I grab RL in the very beginning, this is intended I suppose.

I don't like that huge yellow door

In my first playthrough I had some problems with finding the last blue switch, that are is too dark to spot it.

The switch near PE-s has crako sign on it and it is slightly inconsistent use of it I think. Then I see a switch like that I expect to see cacos and crakos. 

Textures look quite good in general but there are some which look a bit off

The hardest part for me is the beginning because of all this random shit shooting at you. Also shotgunners+AV trap was a bit tricky. It is very easy to escape "arena" fights

Spoiler

@el_inf

first of all thanks :)

now i will fix some stuff, that berserk was rather pointless i will remove it, also i will change that switch texture i don't know why i used it honestly, i will change lighting on last switch and maybe the "nirvana" yellow door^^

i don't know about arenas, it depends on your first playthrough, did you find the switch in the last fight right away or was it after some tries? cause if you don't spot that the fight becomes ugly. The fight with the imps i think that once you know what's coming it becomes a piece of cake, but if you stay there in a first playthrough then it may be a problem. it all depends on what was the first impression and how you managed the fight the first time. Also, which are the textures that seem odd? (earthquake was pointless lol going to remove it asap)

PS: for once i will tell you the secrets

1st: after the earthquake an invisible floor blocks the way to the entrance, and you can't go back there. After the caco swarm the floor goes back down and after the imp trap one of the two blue light pillars goes to the ceiling, that's the first secret with some extra cells.

2nd: if you jump down beside the yellow door there are some health bonuses on the damaging water that guide you into a passable waterfall, also with some extra cells inside.

Edited by Zolgia108

I managed the imp fight in first try. Killed imps quickly and run from archie to the berserk spot.

I almost managed the second fight in first try actually (I had to rewatch the recording to rememder that). I took shit ton of damage, found and pressed the switch, but lost souls blocked my escape path and I had 3% at that moment.

About textures: it's a matter of taste, of course, but doom tech base, plutonia bricks and sunlust something does not fit together really well for me. I would replaced at least doom textures, for example, the closet with the first archie. 

Ceiling in mancs towers look weird also, but I think it is a part of the maps aesthetics

Maybe put some frames around chaingunners windows

59 minutes ago, el_inf said:

I managed the imp fight in first try. Killed imps quickly and run from archie to the berserk spot.

I almost managed the second fight in first try actually (I had to rewatch the recording to rememder that). I took shit ton of damage, found and pressed the switch, but lost souls blocked my escape path and I had 3% at that moment.

About textures: it's a matter of taste, of course, but doom tech base, plutonia bricks and sunlust something does not fit together really well for me. I would replaced at least doom textures, for example, the closet with the first archie. 

Ceiling in mancs towers look weird also, but I think it is a part of the maps aesthetics

Maybe put some frames around chaingunners windows

thank you for the detailed opinion, it's what i am looking for! :)

Now make another map, i want to play sloppy and die!

I will try to give more detailed reviews in the future) 

I havent started a new map yet, so it may take a while) 

Just started map 20: Moonchildren

1162618253_map20.png.cb55a9174752a45b5a588189648ea93c.png

also, finally i have a new art for the interpic, previous one was just taken from the web, now there is a new work by Maddam

INTERPIC.jpg.66392eb651d6545028f46b143a4acbfe.jpg

Soo I finally played maps 1-4. By the end I got tired quite a bit and spent last 5 or so minutes trying to make a stupid glide) (not even sure if gzdoom can do this) 

Here are some comments on maps:

map 1. Quite good in general though I didn't liked the large hitscan room for obvious reasons. The last rev fight is cool

Spoiler

Screenshot_Doom_20200707_011810.png.32cb61d690dece9d049311a9493357f4.png

This thing does not look great

other than that, textures look quite good in all levels

map 2. mm... My first reaction to this map was "what the fuck?", honestly. I couldn't expect such an intense beginning from the second map. In the second part I felt that I missed a SSG somewhere. The red hall felt too big and all those pinkies and hks were pointless

Also you can AV jump out of the window and softlock yourself

map 3. This map is nice. The only bad thing is the symmetry of the last room.

map 4. This type of maps I don't like in general.  Just too boring to run around clearing off stuff. But maybe it's not so bad for such a map.

I think you should join red and yellow door sectors. I think it is possible to open one door sector and glide through it to activate the trap but I couldn't execute this.

In the beginning, AV died instatly from the crusher for some reason.

There are quite a few misaligned textures here and there

Spoiler

Video link will appear here

10 hours ago, el_inf said:

Soo I finally played maps 1-4. By the end I got tired quite a bit and spent last 5 or so minutes trying to make a stupid glide) (not even sure if gzdoom can do this) 

Here are some comments on maps:

map 1. Quite good in general though I didn't liked the large hitscan room for obvious reasons. The last rev fight is cool

Reveal hidden contents

Screenshot_Doom_20200707_011810.png.32cb61d690dece9d049311a9493357f4.png

This thing does not look great

other than that, textures look quite good in all levels

map 2. mm... My first reaction to this map was "what the fuck?", honestly. I couldn't expect such an intense beginning from the second map. In the second part I felt that I missed a SSG somewhere. The red hall felt too big and all those pinkies and hks were pointless

Also you can AV jump out of the window and softlock yourself

map 3. This map is nice. The only bad thing is the symmetry of the last room.

map 4. This type of maps I don't like in general.  Just too boring to run around clearing off stuff. But maybe it's not so bad for such a map.

I think you should join red and yellow door sectors. I think it is possible to open one door sector and glide through it to activate the trap but I couldn't execute this.

In the beginning, AV died instatly from the crusher for some reason.

There are quite a few misaligned textures here and there

Hide contents

Video link will appear here

Ok finally some details n the first maps, i really needed a new point of view. Now i think i will change these things:

map 1:

first crusher will deal more damage, so that you can use it at your advantage without losing one hour

the mancubus closet will be fixed in textures

not sure about the hitscanners room, it's enough to run for the chaingun i think i will leave it as it is, except for the fact that i forgot a switch to let you backtrack...

map2:

1)there is a secret ssg that you can take before shooting anything, and there is one right at the beginning for lower difficulties, but i think i will add it in the big room as well or else it's too grindy OR i could replace hks and barons with imps for example so it won't be grindy (you have berserk for pinkies) but i still need to think about a a real solution

2) the softlock is a problem... dammit, cause there are cacos outside, maybe i will just replace the archie with another monster, like a cyber demon LOL, just joking, but i will find a way

map3;

1) the last simmetry was already criticized so now that i have another opinion on that i think i will do this:remove the 4 switches and put a single one which releases everything all together, or remove one of the two halves. what do you think is better?

map4:

my brother doesn't like open maps as well, but i had some good opinions about it cause i tried to replicate a sort  of dark odissey of noises and the fact that you were running all the time for your life gave me a lot of satisfaction ahahah.

The archvile at the starting area is because of pistol start, if you pistol start it you find yourself with a chainsaw and an archie so there are crushers there which oneshoot you as well but it's the only way to kill the archie without risking too much with a chainsaw.

1) the key doors were already pointed out, so i am definetely going to join sectors.

2) i know that in this map there are some misalignments i always forget to fix them... it will be done

4) the shootable for the secret soulsphere was not shootable the first time, you had to carefully jump down, then i decided to make it shootable from the blue door, but i forgot to remove the mini sector there, i see that it can confuse a bit so i will remove it.

One last thing:

i may be thinking of adding an entire episode 0, instead of making 25/30, so that it won't be too rough right from the start. 5 simple and fast maps before these ones you played, what do you think?

Now you just miss map 5 and 16! Go for them^^

Man you were really useful, i appreciate that... thanks again for everything...

14 minutes ago, Zolgia108 said:

map3;

1) the last simmetry was already criticized so now that i have another opinion on that i think i will do this:remove the 4 switches and put a single one which releases everything all together, or remove one of the two halves. what do you think is better?

I think one switch which opens both sides together is much more fun

14 minutes ago, Zolgia108 said:

2) the softlock is a problem... dammit, cause there are cacos outside, maybe i will just replace the archie with another monster, like a cyber demon LOL, just joking, but i will find a way

Or at least make the floor damaging

22 minutes ago, Zolgia108 said:

i may be thinking of adding an entire episode 0, instead of making 25/30, so that it won't be too rough right from the start. 5 simple and fast maps before these ones you played, what do you think?

I think it is a good idea. There is also a good tip from id software: place maps which you made first closer to the end of the wad, so that the player sees your latter maps first (which probably have a better design). 

1 minute ago, el_inf said:

I think one switch which opens both sides together is much more fun

Or at least make the floor damaging

I think it is a good idea. There is also a good tip from id software: place maps which you made first closer to the end of the wad, so that the player sees your latter maps first (which probably have a better design). 

ok i am working on it :)

right now there are two switches in map 3, one is blocked, the only one you can press opens up the other switch and the two halves, then the second one the 2 archies, i think this may be a good compromise.

I will work on an episode 0 then!