Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zolgia108

Happy (Now on Idgames!)

5 minutes ago, HAK3180 said:

I'll have to play through this in the final order at some point, since things were shuffled around.

It makes me happy to see a guy who made "Close to Dog" also create this Cacoward-mentionated project. You've handled the balance of conventional and eerily distinct with expertise, which was, in my opinion, the main downfall of the wad that must not be named. In the words of Google Translate: Complimenti, molto ben fatto! 

Close to Dog is the "innominabile"! Thank you Hak the Legend, i will continue playing your wip these days, i like it a lot :)

Also, you are the only one who played close to dog 3 times in a row including it's early version so i think you deserve a special cacoward just for that hahaah (most patient playtester? does it exists? it should).

Happy birthday!

I played an older version of Happy and really enjoyed it. Small, tough monster encounters that always had some hidden optional tricks and possibilities to survive. The dark and surreal atmosphere is great and the places and events try to tell a story, I really like that.

23 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

Happy birthday!

I played an older version of Happy and really enjoyed it. Small, tough monster encounters that always had some hidden optional tricks and possibilities to survive. The dark and surreal atmosphere is great and the places and events try to tell a story, I really like that.

that's exactly what i was trying to do: tell a story. Even though it is hard in a game like Doom, i always considered it as a way to express myself in that matter as well. So maybe some maps are minimalistic and they may be seen as fillers (see 12 for example) but they actually have a meaning. Thanks for noticing that, i hope to get more feedback from you, have a nice one!

Hey @Zolgia108 Started to play and wanted to share a few points with you.

1st map 1st Episode, pretty good introductory map, the outdoors with all those corpses is pretty good, atmosphere is weird in an "alien" sense, and I love it.

The music is quite good, cant get bored of it; Same goes for the 2nd map, which I think is awesome, the layout and combat got me hooked, and the overall flow is fantastic, the bright colours in contrast with the darkness is superb. Good secrets too. I will keep playing buddy, hope I dont get splattered too much, too soon I guess.

(Revenants are really cool, looks familiar, what mod/wad does it come from? just curious)

Edited by Soulless

3 hours ago, Soulless said:

Hey @Zolgia108 Started to play and wanted to share a few points with you.

1st map 1st Episode, pretty good introductory map, the outdoors with all those corpses is pretty good, atmosphere is weird in an "alien" sense, and I love it.

The music is quite good, cant get bored of it; Same goes for the 2nd map, which I think is awesome, the layout and combat got me hooked, and the overall flow is fantastic, the bright colours in contrast with the darkness is superb. Good secrets too. I will keep playing buddy, hope I dont get splattered too much, too soon I guess.

(Revenants are really cool, looks familiar, what mod/wad does it come from? just curious)

20201025194957_1.jpg.4ce46974eda439876428ee1c18504902.jpg

Thanks a lot mate! I am sorry that i was rather absent from the community last week but my job is keeping me busy :(

Anywaym the revenants are the draugrs, i took them from shades of doom but i think they originally come from hellforged! I hope you will keep enjoying this, nothing will be too hard, except episode five i think :)

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the whole thing after my playthrough on UV.

Overall it has great aesthetics, some of the maps had that lovecraft touch, with those big opened and desolate majestic architecture, or small angular abstract paths.

Most of the maps have great action packed layouts, sometimes you can feel overwhelmed by the situations given, from lots of cyber/arch/crackodemos traps to slaughter areas, but I think it has a nice balance, never felt frustrated or got lost looking for a key at all;

Strategy is welcome in the last episode thats for sure, it can get hectic really fast, which I loved, chaotic at times.

Secrets are nicely designed, sometimes helpful, sometimes deadly, but that adds to the whole scheme.

Spoiler

Theres even a good ending (sort of) via secret, epic finale, it really feels happy!

The music selection is reeeally good, ranges from an atmospheric silent hill truck to relentless black death metal midi.

The custom monsters are great, they are mostly bosses, some can be annoying but its ok for a boss fight.

Crackodemons are memorable, the sounds, the colour, the attacks, it fits really well with the whole atmosphere.

I had so much fun playing it and I hope more people give it a chance, if you like creepy atmosphere and hardcore combat, cant recommend it enough.

Great job @Zolgia108, much respect!

Edited by Soulless

12 hours ago, Soulless said:

Just wanted to share my thoughts on the whole thing after my playthrough on UV.

Overall it has great aesthetics, some of the maps had that lovecraft touch, with those big opened and desolate majestic architecture, or small angular abstract paths.

Most of the maps have great action packed layouts, sometimes you can feel overwhelmed by the situations given, from lots of cyber/arch/crackodemos traps to slaughter areas, but I think it has a nice balance, never felt frustrated or got lost looking for a key at all;

Strategy is welcome in the last episode thats for sure, it can get hectic really fast, which I loved, chaotic at times.

Secrets are nicely designed, sometimes helpful, sometimes deadly, but that adds to the whole scheme.

Reveal hidden contents

Theres even a good ending (sort of) via secret, epic finale, it really feels happy!

The music selection is reeeally good, ranges from an atmospheric silent hill truck to relentless black death metal midi.

The custom monsters are great, they are mostly bosses, some can be annoying but its ok for a boss fight.

Crackodemons are memorable, the sounds, the colour, the attacks, it fits really well with the whole atmosphere.

I had so much fun playing it and I hope more people give it a chance, if you like creepy atmosphere and hardcore combat, cant recommend it enough.

Great job @Zolgia108, much respect!

20201104211810_1.jpg.add11d3b236f4a16f5a86f959b1ca363.jpg

Reveal hidden contents

20201104211524_2.jpg.3b7aecab9801f1c001a327e0ee7f0860.jpg

As i said via pm in my terrible español: thanks a lot for taking the time and patience to play this wad, i gave all i could! I really loved your map to map feedback and it helped me and gave me a lot of satisfaction, now i feel more confident than ever and i can't wait to have some time to make more maps :)

I hope that i will be able to play a mapset from you as well.

Have a nice happy life mi amigo!

Yo Zolgia, just got through this, a little late to the party but better late than never.

First of all I must confess this was too hard for me (repeat: for ME.). After getting through the first 5 or 6 maps I swallowed my pride and became Too Young Too Die, for the damage reduction. I hadn't  done this since the final maps of Sunder. I then started having real fun, even though I still had to God off a few moments in the last 3 maps. I probably could have beaten it legit after a million tries, but these lockdowns (in France they're pretty harsh) are slowly grinding my sanity away, I need some "easy" wins at the moment and just couldn't muster the patience. More than ARCHVILE! the big fights ARCHVILE! it was the ARCHVILE! sneaky fekking ARCHVILE! bastards that ARCHVILE! came to ARCHVILE! resurrect ARCHVILE! the whole lot at the ARCHVILE! end.

Artistically though this is easy in my top 5 of all megawads. I've rarely seen the whole limbo/purgatory/tibetan book of the dead/jacob's ladder/silent hill thing done as well as here, and I'm very sensitive to this kind of narrative. Your architecture and texturing is both as weird and unsettling as it's beautiful and coherent, to me at least. It's never either too "Dark" or too "Transy" but manages a great balance between the two, neither hell nor heaven, just a constant shift between both and seeing both as being the other. Emotionaly speaking this REALLY speaks volumes to me, one of the best "story" wads I know, I sincerely cared about what happened at the end. Well done indeed...

I have in my Doom folder a sub-folder called "classics" and this one went in there. I'll replay it for sure, for real this once, when times have gotten nicer.

Oh, and I loved that spiral staircase in map 30, did one almost the same in one of my wads, it's always cool to see someone that thinks alike, though mine went down...

Once again great job, and Peace.

22 hours ago, Snark said:

Yo Zolgia, just got through this, a little late to the party but better late than never.

First of all I must confess this was too hard for me (repeat: for ME.). After getting through the first 5 or 6 maps I swallowed my pride and became Too Young Too Die, for the damage reduction. I hadn't  done this since the final maps of Sunder. I then started having real fun, even though I still had to God off a few moments in the last 3 maps. I probably could have beaten it legit after a million tries, but these lockdowns (in France they're pretty harsh) are slowly grinding my sanity away, I need some "easy" wins at the moment and just couldn't muster the patience. More than ARCHVILE! the big fights ARCHVILE! it was the ARCHVILE! sneaky fekking ARCHVILE! bastards that ARCHVILE! came to ARCHVILE! resurrect ARCHVILE! the whole lot at the ARCHVILE! end.

Artistically though this is easy in my top 5 of all megawads. I've rarely seen the whole limbo/purgatory/tibetan book of the dead/jacob's ladder/silent hill thing done as well as here, and I'm very sensitive to this kind of narrative. Your architecture and texturing is both as weird and unsettling as it's beautiful and coherent, to me at least. It's never either too "Dark" or too "Transy" but manages a great balance between the two, neither hell nor heaven, just a constant shift between both and seeing both as being the other. Emotionaly speaking this REALLY speaks volumes to me, one of the best "story" wads I know, I sincerely cared about what happened at the end. Well done indeed...

I have in my Doom folder a sub-folder called "classics" and this one went in there. I'll replay it for sure, for real this once, when times have gotten nicer.

Oh, and I loved that spiral staircase in map 30, did one almost the same in one of my wads, it's always cool to see someone that thinks alike, though mine went down...

Once again great job, and Peace.

Hey Boojum!!!

Sorry for the late reply but as i did after Djinn i am taking a break from Doom for a while o breathe a bit (in the meantime i tattooed an ARCHVILE (not joking hhaahah) on my leg, so i never abandon Doom i just take breaks cause this megawad really sucked up all of my energies. I understand your situation as i live in Italy and we are in deep shit as well, i was already insane before so i don't care too much about that but the lockdowns are annoying as hell :)

I can't thank you enough for what you did, which is: pressing on lowering the difficulty to see the wad and to understand the narrative, which is together with atmosphere and music what i really love about doom modding. The fact that you liked it makes me even more proud. Oh and that staircase!  played your wad if you remember and yea maybe some kind of unconscious was working behind the scenes when i built that thing ^^

Thanks againmy friend, until next time!

13 minutes ago, Zolgia108 said:

(in the meantime i tattooed an ARCHVILE (not joking hhaahah) 

That

Is 

Awesome.

I'll buy you molto drinks for that if I ever get the chance.

That creep is, after all, the best creature ever designed in a video game in my opinion, both in looks and modus operandi.

Keep it real

the best thing is that if we are both in europe, one in france one in italy, that means that it's 4 am and we are on freaking doomworld what the helllll

Congrats on the Cacowards mention. Disappointed you didn't win it though. Seemed like the most solid contender to me.

Edited by <<Rewind

thanks guys, i just saw it, i'm very proud of the mention! I don't agree much  with some of the top ten (like three is a crowd for example), but at the same time i'm glad that bridgeburner was named creator of the year and that bastion of chaos is in the top ten, i personally named it as well in the topic. The important thing is that you guys enjoyed it, and i hope that many other people will :)

Edited by Zolgia108

Tried few maps of your megawad. I find it weird this requires GZDoom because i don't see any advanced feature is used so far.

There is nothing much to say, except i enjoy the maps i've played so far :) I feel at least this should've been placed in runner up spot, but well...

4 minutes ago, DimLight said:

Tried few maps of your megawad. I find it weird this requires GZDoom because i don't see any advanced feature is used so far.

There is nothing much to say, except i enjoy the maps i've played so far :) I feel at least this should've been placed in runner up spot, but well...

the main reason why it's gz doom only is because i initially thought that gz was the most used port and i started mapping in zhexen (it's my second mapping experience after all :P ), then there are some features )some monsters for example) that don't work on other ports... i tried but i couldn't fix it up.   I m glad that you are trying the wad and i hope that you will keep it up! cheers