Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DSC

Guinness Is Claiming Hundreds Of Speedrunning Videos

Saw this absolute madness in the newest Karl Jobst video... What is just going on?

For any speedrunner out there, better not trust Guiness anymore... Imagine something like this happening in the Doom community...

Well isn't that just a load of BS. I'm curious as to how the party taking content could even have the nerve to claim the original owner's videos?

16 minutes ago, Nevander said:

Well isn't that just a load of BS. I'm curious as to how the party taking content could even have the nerve to claim the original owner's videos?

Greed. Greed is always the answer.

According to their official Twitter account, it was all a mistake.  They apologized and are reversing everything now.  I imagine someone hit the "contest all" button on the Content ID scanner when they really shouldn't have.  Whether or not it was deliberate or a miscommunication, it's not a good look.

Pretty shitty of them to have done this. Glad they owned up to it though. I've had to deal with this personally from other companies in the past that have done the same thing. Always a pain in the ass. Sad thing is though, all the ad revenue they gained from this short stint probably won't be returned to the original content owners, unless the disputes were actually contested by the content creators (in most cases, they probably were not).

5 hours ago, Nevander said:

It is likely automated as soon as Youtube flags something with their Content ID system (not saying it isn't BS). They probably send out valid claims all the time but also does stuff like this which you hope is not as often as valid claims....

This is another case of how I would love to sit down with the decision makers involved in this and say "Ok. I do not want to be rude but... how did you weapons grade imbeciles think that this was possibly going to end well for you?"

claims are starting to get reversed now, a speedrunner i know posted a screenshot on twitter.

EDIT: ah, the runner i mentioned was kosmic, the one from the video in the OP

57 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

This is another case of how I would love to sit down with the decision makers involved in this and say "Ok. I do not want to be rude but... how did you weapons grade imbeciles think that this was possibly going to end well for you?"

They got high off their own supply. I'm just saying that because of your dank title.

YouTube: "hell yea AI rocks mofuckas" *content ID is born*

Content ID: *is legal skynet*

YouTube: *

image.png.b29f7f3e4555a52cc0a997084ec08d1e.png

* note that in actuality they don't really care.

In the other hand, ContentID does shield most copyright infringements from actual litigation. Imagine if it suddenly went down, and all the money was hoarded by the goddamn media companies. Yeah, fuck the WMG in particular.

Also, regional legislations would fuck everyone up. They would behead people in the Arab countries, and the Wuhanese people who begged to warn us earlier this year (assuming their videos are still up).

Heck. I once uploaded some videos to Youtube, of me playing Skyroads, recorded on my own PC. The following day, exactly 1 of the 62 videos was flagged as copyright-infringing, without any explanation. I'm sure it was purely automatic, based on some stupid algorithm, because not only no one would have any grounds to flag it, but there was a total of 0 watchers at that point. I clicked the link to appeal the decision, wrote in a reason that it's my personal recording, and a day later the flag was removed, again without any explanation.

4 minutes ago, dr_st said:

and a day later the flag was removed, again without any explanation.

Because you appealed?

Just now, Gustavo6046 said:

Because you appealed?

Quite likely, but no one contacted me with any explanation. I can't even be sure a human looked at it. For all I know the appeal triggers another automated review, which just didn't come up with a false positive that time.

Yeah, perhaps they spent more CPU time. They don't squander the appeal system, that would be a downright insult. But yeah.

(btw, who's to say there are even other humans in this equation? Alphabet/Google is a Skynet company, after all...)

Guinness is a joke they were in bed with frauds and hacks like Billy Mitchell and Todd Rodgers only relinquishing their world records when under heavy fire. Figures they'd do stuff like this

I saw the title and for a moment, I thought 'Guinness' as in the Irish beer company. I watched how they make Guinness last night and got up early so that didn't help.