Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jark

The Modest Mapping Challenge 2

Would you accept an experimental weird-looking maze for a level? I just got an idea I won't be able to use for a long time on my own project, so maybe I can use it here.

Incidentally, do you use a hell sky that tiles vertically?

11 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Would you accept an experimental weird-looking maze for a level? I just got an idea I won't be able to use for a long time on my own project, so maybe I can use it here.

Incidentally, do you use a hell sky that tiles vertically?

There is still a secret map slot available for the strange, weird and/or wacky - it's up to you whether you think your idea would fit the main episodes better or is more suited to that of a secret map.

We have yet to decide on the skies used but as of current the skies are tiled at the horizon.

I'd like to claim MAP31 then. My idea probably better off as a secret level, though deadline is closing in and there's still slots, it might make sense for me to migrate later.

My idea involves a lot of sky behind low walls, so if it was to not have a horizontal seam, that'd be great.

21 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

I'd like to claim MAP31 then. My idea probably better off as a secret level, though deadline is closing in and there's still slots, it might make sense for me to migrate later.

My idea involves a lot of sky behind low walls, so if it was to not have a horizontal seam, that'd be great.

If we can find one that is vanilla compatible, then sure thing!

Map31 is yours for now unless you change your mind!

i decided to recreate one of my maps for this contest, i believe i complied with all the rules, although i may have screwed up somewhere, this can go in any map slot you want, although i call it The Witching Hour

MMC.zip

Could I get map10? I'm a few wads into making a megawad but I'd like to take a break to polish a small map!

I'm interested in taking the Map 14 slot if it's still available

I'll join in! Taking the MAP22 slot if free.

Well guys I got er done already

Map 8 - Sanctum of Secrets

Get it here : http://www.levelgame.net/doom/eight.wad

I tend to find more minor things in testing so this file may be replaced a few times with minor things - but I think it's done boys

17 hours ago, sergeirocks100 said:

i decided to recreate one of my maps for this contest, i believe i complied with all the rules, although i may have screwed up somewhere, this can go in any map slot you want, although i call it The Witching Hour

MMC.zip

Hello Serge! 

I'm dreadfully sorry to tell you that we are looking for completely new maps constructed within the time span of the mapping period - so previously made maps will unfortunately not count. After taking the map for a spin though I encountered some issues I must let you know! 

- There is no linedef with the tag of 4 to activate the red key fight rendering the map impossible to continue

- There is a floor which is joined with the sector which has the exit switch in, as the exit switch sector is higher it causes the other sector to block the exit yellow door also rendering the map impossible to finish 

- I would make the first switch room's trap a bit wider as the player can just run over it - that and it serves no purpose as there is a staircase from the pit, perhaps put damaging floors inside of it

- I did think the map had a solid start with the enemies flowing into the starting area and you having to quickly gun them down before you're overwhelmed

- I do appreciate the effort that went into the map for the conversion, but I must say that before uploading a map publicly - you must play through it at least once to make sure it is actually completable.

15 hours ago, Mojius said:

Could I get map10? I'm a few wads into making a megawad but I'd like to take a break to polish a small map!

12 hours ago, Horus said:

I'm interested in taking the Map 14 slot if it's still available

10 hours ago, dac said:

I'll join in! Taking the MAP22 slot if free.

9 hours ago, sergeirocks100 said:

i'd like to claim map17, if it's available

All of the above are accepted! I'll playtest that map soon @Clippy and send you the results!

28 minutes ago, Jark said:

Hello Serge! 

I'm dreadfully sorry to tell you that we are looking for completely new maps constructed within the time span of the mapping period - so previously made maps will unfortunately not count. After taking the map for a spin though I encountered some issues I must let you know! 

- There is no linedef with the tag of 4 to activate the red key fight rendering the map impossible to continue

- There is a floor which is joined with the sector which has the exit switch in, as the exit switch sector is higher it causes the other sector to block the exit yellow door also rendering the map impossible to finish 

- I would make the first switch room's trap a bit wider as the player can just run over it - that and it serves no purpose as there is a staircase from the pit, perhaps put damaging floors inside of it

- I did think the map had a solid start with the enemies flowing into the starting area and you having to quickly gun them down before you're overwhelmed

- I do appreciate the effort that went into the map for the conversion, but I must say that before uploading a map publicly - you must play through it at least once to make sure it is actually completable.

All of the above are accepted! I'll playtest that map soon @Clippy and send you the results!

i had no clue that was the case, you should probably go ahead and add it to the main post if you haven't done so, i admit, i didn't playtest the map and i would like to apologize for that, the pit was meant to be harmless, although i had no clue that you could walk over it, i had no clue about the bugs, i will go ahead and fix them even though the map was rejected, thank you for the feedback

Edited by sergeirocks100

Just now, sergeirocks100 said:

i had no clue that was the case, you should probably go ahead and add it to the main post if you haven't done so, i admit, i didn't playtest the map and i would like to apologize for that, i had no clue about the bugs, i will go ahead and fix them even though the map was rejected, thank you for the feedback

You are right actually, I should add that rule to the OP apologies on my part - But please don't feel discouraged! If you want any help or to ask any questions I recommend joining the discord where all of the other mappers preside and can lend a hand including myself, if you don't want to you can also PM me!

Just now, HUNdebLeonidasX said:

Probably a nice way to finally make some vanilia stuff
I going to take map 16

and take you shall!

6 minutes ago, sergeirocks100 said:

i have a different map that i made within the timespan of the challenge, could i use that?

Was it made specifically for this challenge and in the theme of an overrun techbase?

24 minutes ago, Jark said:

Was it made specifically for this challenge and in the theme of an overrun techbase?

i made the whole thing after submissions started, and i did make it for a challenge, although it was for MAYhem, and not this one, and it does have a techbase theme, although it has a small grassy area with trees, it probably wouldn't be well suited to this project, and i would have a better time simply creating a whole new map for it

6 minutes ago, sergeirocks100 said:

i made the whole thing after submissions started, and i did make it for a challenge, although it was for MAYhem, and not this one, and it does have a techbase theme, although it has a small grassy area with trees, it probably wouldn't be well suited to this project, and i would have a better time simply creating a whole new map for it

you do have plenty of time! And I would appreciate accepting a map that was made for this project and not another :0)

Hey I’d love to take map slot 21, but I have a few questions I just need some clarification on before I start mapping.

First the 5 enemy limit type, does that apply to episode 3?

Second can we use the provided textures for a Hell episode, I.e anything goes for Hell textures in the provided pack? 

An example of what I mean is, can we make a mix of a Hell map with gothic in it?

3 hours ago, Black Shuck 97 said:

Hey I’d love to take map slot 21, but I have a few questions I just need some clarification on before I start mapping.

First of the episode!

First the 5 enemy limit type, does that apply to episode 3?

The limit is effective across the entire project, however it is difficulty based - so you can have a different set of monsters for each skill if you so wish

Second can we use the provided textures for a Hell episode, I.e anything goes for Hell textures in the provided pack? 

An example of what I mean is, can we make a mix of a Hell map with gothic in it?

Of course! Gothic-y hell has a hell of a lot of pretty potential.

Spoiler

Not sorry

3 minutes ago, aletheos eberlain said:

I'll take map 19.

My pleasure! That’s episode 2 completely booked up!

Just to let everybody here know that Map 24 (which was intended to be my slot) is free now. Got some irl stuff going on, so it's unrealistic for me to make a map at this point.

So, feel free to take it.

Good luck to all of you.

16 hours ago, NeedHealth said:

@JarkI'll give myself two weeks to see if I can come up with something. Map27

Your two weeks starts now! Good luck

And best of luck in your future endeavours @The_SloVinator, perhaps we'll get the opportunity to work together again sometime

2 minutes ago, Pierrot said:

@Jark I would give a try to map24 if it's still available.

Indeed it is, the very last slot! Map away to your heart's content (and the static limits) my good sir/madame