Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jark

The Modest Mapping Challenge 2

Just now, MAN_WITH_GUN said:

Ugh, guess i lost my chance to join here. But whatever, i'm still lazy for mapping.

If a slot becomes free I'll try to remember to contact you!

5 minutes ago, Jark said:

If a slot becomes free I'll try to remember to contact you!

Oh, alright then. Austinado advised me to take part in this project and I just remembered about it now, I was engaged in speedmapping's (and the life in general)

1 minute ago, MAN_WITH_GUN said:

Oh, alright then. Astunado advised me to take part in this project and I just remembered about it now, I was engaged in speedmapping's (and the life in general)

Life in general is quite the time consumer I hear! I'll keep you posted

SOS

My playthrough of map08 by Clippy, it took a lot cause i was searching for secrets, you know because of its name etc...

I need help to recover!

4 minutes ago, Zolgia108 said:

SOS

My playthrough of map08 by Clippy, it took a lot cause i was searching for secrets, you know because of its name etc...

I need help to recover!

Thanks so much for playing my friend I can't wait to watch it

Nice to see this topic again

Can't wait until the whole megawad is done

@Clippy not sure if you are on Discord but the server for this project already has a bunch of submitted maps to play

8 minutes ago, Horus said:

@Clippy not sure if you are on Discord but the server for this project already has a bunch of submitted maps to play

I still haven't caught up to whatever year this is I have never joined a discord haha

I'd much rather wait until the project is complete and then I'd probably do a video playthrough the entire thing

Greetings thread followers and newcomers! 

Map 11 has become available and is the only map that is free! If you wish to participate - now is the time to signup!

Map 11 is the end of Episode 1 (Earth Castle(not Hell)) and must contain 1 cyberdemon that has to be killed to proceed (for thematicy)  

I look forward to any possible interest!

14 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Apparently I forgot to actually submit my map... :P

Oh shit, we gonna have a mini "cocytus" episode in the project!

@DynamiteKaitorn video playthrough of your map below, using prBoom+ complevel 2. Enjoyed all of it, except for perhaps that baron crusher room. A few thoughts below:
- The MIDI was much louder than usual

- I don't think that one computer texture you used in the RK room fit the theme of the map
- I think a megasphere was overpowered for the final fight on UV. I would give a soulsphere at most

The Deadline has been set to the 14th due to a suitable amount of reasons to do so, it is in the project's best interest. There will not be extensions past that.

Hello everyone, it is with my deepest regrets that I must withdraw from this opportunity to collaborate with you guys on this project. 

I am very sorry for wasting everyone's time (and mine too by not realizing what I was getting into)

I always thought that if I mapped in standard format with my outdated doom builder program it would operate as a vanilla map. 

Sadly making a vanilla map to fit the needs of this group effort is beyond my skillset.

When I started I had no idea of many vanilla issues, such as tuti fruti textures. I spend much time and frustration over and over trying to make this map meet the criteria that it almost drove me mad and took up way too much of my time. Time I simply can not spend on this map anymore for my own sanity. I have no idea how to fix the errors that were put before me today and I don't have time to learn a new function when I only map for Gzdoom anyway. I will never attempt to make a vanilla map again, again I thought it would be easy but what a nightmare it has been. 

I'm sorry if I had of known what making a vanilla map truly meant I would have never offered a map to this collection

Furthermore I also think my Map is not good, and maybe too hard for a level 8. By contrast @Austinadomap 9 was a delight to play

I am sincerely sorry for this @Jark and I hope you can find a replacement for map 8

I hope everyone understands, I'm sorry

And good luck to all the others who can pull off vanilla mapping, it's over my head

Cheers

@Clippy 

The nature of this project was rather challenging even for those familiar with vanilla let alone completely new vanilla mappers. I really hope this does not sour your vanilla mapping experience forever as that would be rather unfortunate, perhaps in the future if you ever try mapping for limit removed it might be slightly more appealing in simplicity rather than having to worry about the issues that can come with mapping for vanilla.

You're also being too hard on yourself, these things take time to learn the sometimes quite convoluted problems or obstacles - one does not simply pick up vanilla mapping and not run into any issues when making a reasonably sized map with heavy sector joining. During the process of this project I have come across loads of issues I had never come across before, not saying that I know everything about vanilla - not by a long shot, but when you say it is over your head on your first vanilla map with hard limits in a foreign work ethic is just wrong. 

Don't write yourself off so fast and by no means do I or I expect any of the members of this project to hold you somehow at lower standard then when you joined.

We can possibly fix the problem with the map for you and keep it in the set, unless you really want to pull it from the project. We most likely can find a replacement mapper if needs be.

This is ultimately a hobby, something one does out of interest and/or fun - I cannot force you to do anything, so it is up to you. 

Im with @Jark here @Clippy, the issues can be fixed..and God knows the difficulties i had mapping mine. But again, like Jark said, its only up to you of course.

Thanks guys.  I have already compromised what I wanted this map to be to make it fit again and again. 

This project went from fun to I am constantly fighting with a map I can't make work

I don't want to change it anymore and really do not have the smarts to fix it 

When I read the list of problems it might as well have been in Latin 

Sorry guys 

And I wouldn't want anyone to fix my problems for me 

I made this map too convoluted to ever work in vanilla. I know that now. I should have kept it simple but I spent too much of myself on this 

Sorry guys I'm not a vanilla mapper. I know that now. I'll continue to map for gzdoom simple maps 

Hope you can get that slot replaced quickly with someone who knows what they are doing 🙂

2 hours ago, Clippy said:

Thanks guys.  I have already compromised what I wanted this map to be to make it fit again and again. 

This project went from fun to I am constantly fighting with a map I can't make work

I don't want to change it anymore and really do not have the smarts to fix it 

When I read the list of problems it might as well have been in Latin 

Sorry guys 

And I wouldn't want anyone to fix my problems for me 

I made this map too convoluted to ever work in vanilla. I know that now. I should have kept it simple but I spent too much of myself on this 

Sorry guys I'm not a vanilla mapper. I know that now. I'll continue to map for gzdoom simple maps 

Hope you can get that slot replaced quickly with someone who knows what they are doing 🙂

IF you are feeling up for it, then I could really use some fresh blood in the newly started GZDoom-1 project.

We are all just have fun making simple maps (GZDoom, doom 2, UDMF) for now.

Also my GZFreedoom team also needs new members (there is only me atm.. LOL)...

Let me know if you are interested! :D

I am projectleader on both GZDoom projects....

GZDoom-1 is about many mappers working on the same maps to create something fun...

GZFreeDoom is about adding GZDoom features to existing Freedoom maps (and setting them to be Doom2 UDMF)

@Pegleg has kindly volunteered to make a new Map08. In light of this, the public beta will be delayed.

2 hours ago, Jark said:

@Pegleg has kindly volunteered to make a new Map08. In light of this, the public beta will be delayed.

Sorry again everyone for causing this delay. I really did not realise I was not capable of making a pure vanilla map upon signing up.

Again I wish everyone well with this project

@Clippy i respect your stand on this but just to say that you are more than capable buddy. 

Cheers and keep bringing those maps! ;)

3 minutes ago, Austinado said:

@Clippy i respect your stand on this but just to say that you are more than capable buddy. 

Cheers and keep bringing those maps! ;)

I'm capable of making maps that run in Gzdoom

This map is impossible for me to make work in Vanilla. The 40 sectors I used are too dependent on each other and it's not going to function without me adding more than the 40 sectors. Not to mention visplane issues and many other things that are beyond my understanding to fix.

Again, my apologies - I learned my limits in this one. I'm a Gzdoom mapper exclusively and I know this now

16 hours ago, Clippy said:

I'm capable of making maps that run in Gzdoom

This map is impossible for me to make work in Vanilla. The 40 sectors I used are too dependent on each other and it's not going to function without me adding more than the 40 sectors. Not to mention visplane issues and many other things that are beyond my understanding to fix.

Again, my apologies - I learned my limits in this one. I'm a Gzdoom mapper exclusively and I know this now

gdoom is the best port by far anyway  :)

I almost exclusively mod for gzdoom

Edited by CBM

Here is my submission for Map 08 (also posted on the Discord server).

Title: Blood Tower Keep
Version: 1
Map Slot: 08
Midi: "Baron's Castle" by Primeval from Flashback to Hell
Difficulty settings: Implemented
Co-op: Yes
DM: Yes

Monsters:
ITYTD, HNTR: Sergeant, Imp, Demon, Lost Soul, Cacodemon
HMP: Sergeant, Imp, Specter, Cacodemon, Hell Knight
UV, NM: Sergeant, Imp, Cacodemon, Hell Knight, Mancubus

Notes: Ammo should be fairly well-balanced on all difficulty levels, but it isn't meant to be outrageously tight. At the same time, I tried to keep the player from leaving the map bristling with ammo. The file must be run with the TMMC2TX_0.4 texture pack.

Greetings thread followers,

The Modest Mapping 2: Wretched Coven RC1 is now available!

Edited by Jark