Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DRM-MAN

Today I Played Gba Doom For The First Time

Like the title said i played gba doom for the first time via actual hardware and it was...strange, i felt a strange yet orgasmic feeling from playing it i know no one else will share this feeling, gba doom is considered a bastard child to doom but....it feels so good for some reason i loved playing it unironically.

It made me feel as good as my first time with doom in general but why?....why did it feel so good, please help me.

The GBA port was pretty decent, never seen it get much hate really. It even had a few not-so-bad exclusive deathmatch levels.

GBA Doom II is worth checking out if you get the chance. Actually uses a different engine and had a lot of little quirks to it.

Edited by Smouths

GBA Doom is okay, it's just the Jaguar mapset again, so you won't get the bosses or see crushers and teleporting monsters, but it runs and controls well enough, certainly a much better representation of the game than the SNES version. Cacos are strangely hopped up on caffeine tho.

GBA Doom II is...admirable. The entire Doom II game is on offer here which is impressive, but the control layouts I find were less intuitive and the performance shoddier, especially on the highest difficulty, which actually downgrades the textures. Worse yet though is the armor bug that Activision knew about but was never fixed (look it up on Doom wiki) and the pretty detrimental changes made to the player and your weapons. Enemy projectiles are fast but your sidestepping is slower, and the pattern of the shotguns are altered to be less effective. The chaingun spread is crazy and no longer possible to do an accurate 2-shot tap. Even the BFG doesn't target as many enemies in a group, resulting in less effective use for crowd control. So yeah, for preservation of the game it's pretty good, for actually playing it however...I'd recommend going down a difficulty lower than what you're used to to combat some of these annoyances.

21 minutes ago, Lila Feuer said:

GBA Doom II is...admirable. The entire Doom II game is on offer here which is impressive, but the control layouts I find were less intuitive and the performance shoddier, especially on the highest difficulty, which actually downgrades the textures. Worse yet though is the armor bug that Activision knew about but was never fixed (look it up on Doom wiki) and the pretty detrimental changes made to the player and your weapons. Enemy projectiles are fast but your sidestepping is slower, and the pattern of the shotguns are altered to be less effective. The chaingun spread is crazy and no longer possible to do an accurate 2-shot tap. Even the BFG doesn't target as many enemies in a group, resulting in less effective use for crowd control. So yeah, for preservation of the game it's pretty good, for actually playing it however...I'd recommend going down a difficulty lower than what you're used to to combat some of these annoyances.

To be fair, GBA Doom II isn't running on the Doom Engine at all, and that's the cause of a lot of this weirdness.

also someone is porting prboom to the gba. you can even play it on actual hardware by using a flashcart

github link

Edited by XxcglezxX : added link to github

A friend sold me his game boy micro with Doom 1 in it. I played it a little bit, would be fun to run through if I was stuck somewhere with just a Game Boy Advance.

17 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

especially on the highest difficulty, which actually downgrades the textures

This is absolutely hilarious. 

To come back to this thread i will also say the novelty factor of owning doom 1&2 on a gba is entertaining.

If you play Doom 2 GBA on an emulator I reccomend you to use either Kippykip's PC Conversion Pack (Which decensors all the blood and fixes some texture/palette issues) https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3666/.

Or alternatively if you want to play with darker and more interesting textures then I will gladly reccomend you to play with my Desolate Edition ROM Hack which does everything the PC Conversion pack already does AND adds a ruined feeling to the game https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/5139/

(Also wow it already has 400 downloads!)

Doom GBA master here, the speedruns are cool to learn and check out. I've dumped about 500 hours in the last 2+ years, its unlike any port for runs, even on Nightmare. 🙂