Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
vanilla_d00m

Name meanings of some doom ports

Ever since April when I joined this site I tried somany ports out there to run old doom and tbh... the names for these programs are quite interesting.  ZDOOM, GZDOOM, PRBOOM.  I never thought of it untill I tried somany, the names have to have a meaning??

What do they mean??  I get chocolate doom trying to be close to the original as possible, but what about the rest??  PRBOOM.. purist doom??

I used ZDOOM the most it seems.. I wonder what the "Z" is for?? GZ too?? LZ..

Well, GZDoom and JDoom probably refer to the names of their authors, Graf'zahl and Jaakko Keränen respectively.

I seen those names before here.  They must be really smart people... I mean just reading the names of those people (can't pronounce it) made me think twice about what I post about the ports I use that those people made.

I remember using JDOOM as well that a loong time ago in 2006 or 7 don't know.  That one was totally different then the rest thats for shure. 

The Z in ZDoom doesn't stand for anything; randi just wanted the port to be listed last. :) Though admittedly this failed, as there are Amiga ports called ZhaDoom that take that spot...

GZDoom has a dual meaning of both GL ZDoom and Graf Zahl Doom. I guess Vulkan is gonna make that a single-meaning eventually.

LZDoom is ZDoom for legacy systems. (No relation with Doom Legacy.) QZDoom doesn't stand for anything special, IIRC Rachael took the name from a suggestion of a Quake ZDoom but it's not its official meaning, since it has never been used for Quake-related stuff. It doesn't have an official meaning. Since it's the experimental port I guess it could have been XZDoom.

GZDoom likely means OpenGL ZDoom (and Graf Zahl Doom). That was (maybe still is?) the original goal for the port.

(OpenGL is a renderer in case you don't know.)

PRBoom started out as a Boom-compatible port by some guy nicknamed PRoff. Entryway (Andrey Budko), the person maintaining the version succeeding it, PRBoom+, likely saw no need for a name change.

Others:

• Eternity Engine started out as a source port exclusively developed for the similarly named mod (Eternity TC). As some of you might expected, things change - the mod was eventually canceled and the port becomes more as a source port ever since - now serving as a bridge between vanilla-oriented and ZDoom-like gameplay.
  • Zandronum - the successor to Skulltag, a multiplayer port -  was named as such because the original author for Skulltag does not want it to be named something like Skulltag+; thus a topic on a new name was born. Two of the most popular choices were Andromeda and Infernum - reflecting on Doom's scifi-hellish theme. However, some people also wanted the port to stick with the port's name beginning with "Z" (based on ZDoom) => a portmanteau was born (Z Andro num) making the name sounds nonsense and more easier to search.
  • Crispy Doom is likely a play on word - since the original version has a food (Chocolate in it).
  • Marine's Best Friend has dog-based AI companions in it. And we all know that dogs are indeed friendly to human.
  • TeamTNT named their (most sucessful) source port as Boom because well, a play on words again. TNT = Boom! 
Edited by TheNoob_Gamer

Eternity's name was title-dropped in Eternity TC's description: something about to "ensure mankind's eternity" or something like that (@Quasar knows better). Personally I like the name because it's related to "doom" and similar to Eternal Doom and Doom Eternal (this may actually doom it, because searching for "eternity" anywhere is being hindered by Doom Eternal).

2 hours ago, Gez said:

The Z in ZDoom doesn't stand for anything; randi just wanted the port to be listed last. :) Though admittedly this failed, as there are Amiga ports called ZhaDoom that take that spot...

ZhaDoom (ZhaDoom68k/ZhaDoomPPC) is a reference to the TV series Babylon 5. It is named after Z'Ha'Dum, the planet of the Shadows.

(I know you know this, by the way. :P)

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Since it's the experimental port I guess it could have been XZDoom.

This is actually the name given to a beta build of ZDoom for the Original Xbox. There is also 2xZDoom for the Gamepark GP2X handheld.

Its interesting that this exact name today is mentioned since i have been talking to one of the developers about it recently on getting it to work on Xbox properly and just today recieved its source. The original author (a600) is not reachable, and the author who continued it, can't compile it properly.

@vanilla_d00mI want it on the record that an actual source port/modification exists with the same name as this forum.

18 minutes ago, Vic Vos said:

So I guess we need an XDoom, if there isn't one already.

I dunno if I can decide to call it X-Doom or Eksdeeoom

ODAMEX stands for Oh DAMn, MEXicans are flooding the server again

ZDAEMON stands for ZDoom: Matt DAEMON edition

ZANDRONUM stands for Zippedy doo-dah, AND RON...  Um....

DWANGO stands for Doom Was A Nerdy Game, Ollright?

(The four corners of silly multiplayer port/service names)

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

ZhaDoom (ZhaDoom68k/ZhaDoomPPC) is a reference to the TV series Babylon 5. It is named after Z'Ha'Dum, the planet of the Shadows.

And while all the CGI in Babylon 5 was done using Amigas (in fact Amigas heavily tuned up with Video Toaster cards), the circle closes here.

4 hours ago, Vic Vos said:

So I guess we need an XDoom, if there isn't one already.

That also exists, mostly for Linux. There is also X-Doom (for ZDaemon) and XDoomPlus.

2 hours ago, cybdmn said:

And while all the CGI in Babylon 5 was done using Amigas (in fact Amigas heavily tuned up with Video Toaster cards), the circle closes here.

It was a pretty impressive port for its time, 800x600 resolution in 1998 for a Doom port was still pretty alright. And it had jumping and flying support, which was definitely quite novel.

Though ADoomPPC went even further in terms of extended support (Dehacked support, 1600x1280 resolution). Ofcourse it required an Amiga far beyond reasonable spec (Like, an PowerPC co-processor had to do all the grunt) but

9 hours ago, Gez said:

The Z in ZDoom doesn't stand for anything; randi just wanted the port to be listed last. :)

I always thought it was called ZDoom because it enabled the z-axis for the mouse control. The initial reason why I started using ZDoom was because it allowed free mouse look.

Just to add a couple I know of;

DOOM Legacy, so named arrogantly because (as the executable was initially doom3.exe) it positioned itself as the future (or 'legacy') of classic DOOM before DOOM 3 was even a thing.

EDGE, or Enhanced Doom Game Engine; later superseded by 3DGE - presumably because it was the third iteration after EDGE and the earlier DOSdoom.

1 hour ago, Jayextee said:

EDGE, or Enhanced Doom Game Engine; later superseded by 3DGE

It's back to EDGE now.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

It's back to EDGE now.

Ah, my bad. Boy have I been out of that loop.

10 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

LOL, I wondered who else would get that one :) It is rather old. (Now let's see who gets *that* one!)

3 minutes ago, Martin Howe said:

It is rather old. (Now let's see who gets *that* one!)

Do you mean the J. R. Hartley reference?

Yep! Well done :) God knows how young I was when that first started doing the rounds ... mists of time and all that.

EDIT: 18! Heck, 1983, I was 18 and am 55 now. Some things just stick in the mind :)

Edited by Martin Howe

A few years ago I bought up some random copies of my first book just so I wouldn't become that guy.

Back on topic, OGRE stood for "Open Gaming Resource Engine".

8 hours ago, Jayextee said:

EDGE, or Enhanced Doom Game Engine; later superseded by 3DGE - presumably because it was the third iteration after EDGE and the earlier DOSdoom.

I genuinely always thought 3DGE was the OpenGL (i.e. the "3D version") of EDGE, akin to GZDoom to ZDoom.  

It's funny how easy it is to make assumptions of what a name means.