Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LucidLocomotive

my disappearing-corpses headcanon

why did doomguy slaughter thousands of Demons in the past without a single one of their corpses disappearing? well, my headcanon is that for whatever unexplained reason, it has something to do with the death of the Motherdemon. the concept of disappearing corpses appears for the first time in Doom 64, where it happens occasionally as part of scripted sequences. since the attack in that game is led by a specific demon with a special rejuvenation power, I like to think the corpses disappear (back to hell/to a deeper part of hell) because of the motherdemon. after the motherdemon dies, some other demon (satan maybe) decides to just alter the spirituality makeup of demons so that this will happen every time one of them dies. since doomguy has killed so many at this point, Hell is doing the same thing the UAC had always been trying to do from the second game onward: trying to prevent another giant slaughter. so maybe satan or whoever, using the same mechanism used by the motherdemon, decides to immediately take back all demon corpses, in order to prevent doomguy from just wiping out Hell entirely. 

another fun one: nothing has changed about the archvile, he is still resurrecting dead demons. it's just that the bodies disappear so its not as obvious, but I like to believe that every demon an archvile spawns, is an individual demon that you have already killed at some point in the game. 

They've been disappearing since Doom 3, hell has shitty frame rates. 

1 hour ago, SYS said:

yeah but I am not including that one because its a different universe. i’m just talking about my headcanon for why they started disappearing *in-universe* at some point during the life and times of doomguys adventures

6 hours ago, Doomslayer88 said:

In 2016 campaign, you can found several demon corpses laying around in the facility...

same for eternal. i’m thinking this only applies to demons killed by the slayer since he is the major threat to hell

On 5/27/2020 at 1:27 AM, SYS said:

Ever played a map on Doom 3 called Lotsaimps? It's a test of how many monsters can be rendered on a map before the PC has a fit and resets itself to escape the misery. This in fact happened to my PC the first time I ran it. There are something like four dozen monsters of different types on that map, and they attack you as soon as they see you, and the slowdown is shocking, or it was back then.

My point is, if so many live monsters causes a slowdown problem, then just as many dead ones will too, especially considering that physics still has to operate on them, and their various final positions, etc. it's not like Doom 1 and 2 where it was simple scaling sprites that always ended up in the same position.

6 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Ever played a map on Doom 3 called Lotsaimps? It's a test of how many monsters can be rendered on a map before the PC has a fit and resets itself to escape the misery. This in fact happened to my PC the first time I ran it. There are something like four dozen monsters of different types on that map, and they attack you as soon as they see you, and the slowdown is shocking, or it was back then.

My point is, if so many live monsters causes a slowdown problem, then just as many dead ones will too, especially considering that physics still has to operate on them, and their various final positions, etc. it's not like Doom 1 and 2 where it was simple scaling sprites that always ended up in the same position.

Have you ever played Doom 2016 with ‘Keep The Dead’ mod?

It doesn’t cause any slowdowns so somebody needs to shut up...

2 hours ago, Doomslayer88 said:

Have you ever played Doom 2016 with ‘Keep The Dead’ mod?

It doesn’t cause any slowdowns so somebody needs to shut up...

Maybe someone should ask id Software why they continue to make dead monsters disappear, if modern hardware can manage to depict lots of dead bodies in various pieces and positions and poses, compared to previous generations of their games.

:)

37 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

Maybe someone should ask id Software why they continue to make dead monsters disappear, if modern hardware can manage to depict lots of dead bodies in various pieces and positions and poses, compared to previous generations of their games.

what about a game like Hitman 2016? with large open areas, hundreds of NPC’s which don’t dissapear, which you can even shoot at any point and they will still react even while dead. That game runs at 60fps even on consoles, and has great graphics. 

1 hour ago, LucidLocomotive said:

what about a game like Hitman 2016? with large open areas, hundreds of NPC’s which don’t dissapear, which you can even shoot at any point and they will still react even while dead. That game runs at 60fps even on consoles, and has great graphics. 

I know nothing about that game, but if the dead monsters analogy is that far advanced, then my point is moot. Games have obviously moved on massively since the early days of true 3D and polygonal models using lots of resources. They DID, back when it was 486s and the first Pentiums, but in these days of quad core CPUs, there really is no limit now, especially if the game adapts to showing less detail in the models as more appear. I'll shut up about it forever more, now.

1 hour ago, Foebane72 said:

It’s because of the CONSOLES aren’t able to handle that...

It’s easy for a PC because it is more powerful, unless you have a shitty PC. 

;)

Wasn't Hitman 16 released as an episodic game with less content and got updates over time?

Also, how does the game graphically look compared to 2016/Eternal, which have a mostly super detailed art style and are meant to be fast paced games.

I wouldn't mind seeing modern Doom games trying to have some sort of open field/slaughterwadish/Serious Sam style fights, since those can be fun and could be different from most arenas.

1 hour ago, whatup876 said:

Wasn't Hitman 16 released as an episodic game with less content and got updates over time?

Also, how does the game graphically look compared to 2016/Eternal, which have a mostly super detailed art style and are meant to be fast paced games.

I wouldn't mind seeing modern Doom games trying to have some sort of open field/slaughterwadish/Serious Sam style fights, since those can be fun and could be different from most arenas.

i would say it has more content than Doom, such as destructible windows and interactive environments (car tires, etc.), and more variation in the npcs, you rarely see 2 npcs with the same appearance or clothing. it was initially released episodically but currently you can buy the whole game. each level is an open, contained area with a pre-determined number of NPCs all places in certain areas. so you can kill everyone in a map. funnily enough this is exactly the way the classic doom game levels were structured. and the graphics for hitman 2016 are definitely on par with doom 2016, but its in a more realistic environment so they are kind of different graphical styles