Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doomkid

🍦 BIG Vanilla Doom Wad Pack! REV. 16 - May 24th, 2022 [Maximum Doom the way 'Kid Did]

You could count the seconds until I mentioned Realm of Chaos, a full megawad of 1996 vanilla maps. The 1999 date, which has tended to color the community's opinion of this wad, is actually for the 1.4 final revision and bugfix . . . which didn't fix all the bugs. ;D

Thank you all, these recommendations are perfect so far. The overall quality of the pack is definitely increasing with all these new additions, and there are some suggestions I can't believe I forgot, like the vanilla smooth doom weapons.

21 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Plutonia and TNT wads:

PCRP

Its PRCP (Plutonia Revisited Community Project) not PCRP. Also, if possible, can you write names of projects alongside wad file names, like I did for PRCP.

Definitely will do as I update this, the filenames alone are sometimes not nearly descriptive enough, but going through and naming each one will be a slog so it might take a short while before I get it done. I've also decided to leave "Oops, All Techbase" out for now, once it's complete (or is as complete as it will ever get) that's when I'll go ahead and truly add it in.

Keep em coming friends.

On 5/27/2020 at 3:27 AM, Xyzzy01 said:

Would my wad be accepted? I'm unsure since it needs Chocolate Doom's -merge command for the custom sprites. Otherwise, it's 100% vanilla.

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/d-f/fricasse

The -merge command basically just replaces DEUSF. I'll include DEUSF in Fricasse's directory along with some instructions on how to load it (since it's way easier in Choco than in Dos)

To play Fricasse in Dos (or DosBox)
1 - Copy the contents of the 'FRICASSE' dir to your vanilla Doom2 dir.
2 - Use DEHACKED.EXE to load 'fricasse.deh'. Press 'w' to write it to a new exe called DOOMHACK.EXE
3 - Exit DEHACKED
4 - Use DEUSF to merge doom2 flats/sprites into 'fricasse.wad'. Type 'DEUSF -append fricasse.wad'.
5 - Type 'DOOMHACK' and enjoy Fricasse!

It's a shame this trick for custom sprites in vanilla isn't more well known, the oldschool DEUSF approach is ever so slightly more of a pain in the butt for the end user!

Edited by Doomkid

And to think just yesterday I learned to put flats at the top of the WAD lumps. Thanks for the info, Doomkid! 

but the damage by that numpty named numlumps has already been done to me T_T

On another note, I've just finished converting most of my old Confinement 256 maps to vanilla!

@Obsidian's Countdown To Extinction (ticktock.wad) should be Vanilla compatible, partly at my insistence -- there were just a few maps that weren't when I got it for beta testing. I say should be because I don't think it's been tested in actual Vanilla Doom, "only" Chocolate, and there's a bit of Dehacked stuff for the last boss,  that I would want to test in Vanilla before 100% confidently saying it's compatible. But even outside of that, the other 31 maps are definitely Vanilla.

He's also done Operation Hydra and probably some other stuff.

Outside of that, there's also Perdition's Gate, which you may or may not want to include because of it's history as a commercial project even though no one actually cares anymore.

Edited by plums

SPECTRUM has a new boss monster but is a -complevel 3 UitDoom episode so I believe it would meet the definition?  It's limit removing if that matters: you'd visplane it in the original engine (but you can do that in Requiem too!)

City of Doom

Garrulismo

#1 Kill The Next Generation

Baker's Dozen

WolfenDoomed

Osiris

Phobos Relieve the Nightmare

Real World 1, 2

Realm of Chaos

Return to Daro

Scientist 2

Sector 666

System Vices

The Devilz Work (can't find it in your list)

The World of Deth: From Heaven to Hell

Witness of Time (two maps have boom actions though)

Wonderful Doom

1K Lines CP

How delicious these are is in the eye of the beholder, they're all vanilla as far as I know, maybe one or two may not run in choco but who knows. You can take a look at this if you want to find more obscure vanilla stuff.

Mass Extinction by Nicolas Monti, for Doom 2. Vanilla textures, great difficulty, and low amount of monsters in every level (80-140). Very recommended. Works on Chocolate Doom.

10 hours ago, Capellan said:

SPECTRUM has a new boss monster but is a -complevel 3 UitDoom episode so I believe it would meet the definition?  It's limit removing if that matters: you'd visplane it in the original engine (but you can do that in Requiem too!)

I'm glad you mentioned this. As long as it doesn't go extremely far over the limit, I'm content simply chucking a copy of DOOMP or DOOM2P in with a few limit removing sets. I'd prefer the vast bulk to be "true vanilla" but I see no harm in sneaking in a limit removing set or two

EDIT: Updated the list on the "what's been added" section. Loads of new content on top of the ton that was already there - exactly what I wanted to achieve. If anyone has any more suggestions, I of course welcome them.

Edited by Doomkid

I especially appriciate that you seperated the deathmatch maps from the single-player ones.

You should call this Maximum Doom: The Way 'Kid Did

18 minutes ago, Moustachio said:

Any room for one more?

Atonement

I didn't saw any new notice about this work. Glad you brought it up, Moustachio!

Hows the progress on the next chapters?

4 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

Hows the progress on the next chapters?

Very, very slow. I have been working on other community project contributions for the time being.

Alrighty, this pack is officially updated - check out the OP for details and a big list of all the wads included. If I've got my numbers right, there's a whopping 362 quality wads here, nearly half of which are long-form wads or even megawads. A veritable truckload of high-quality content!

https://doomshack.org/~doomkid/DOOMWADS.zip

I'll do a further update when Akeldama, Oops and Rowdy Rudy II are all fully complete (and if more stuff is suggested between now and then I'll certainly sneak it in as well). Thanks a bunch to everyone who helped curate this truly varied pack.

Congrats to everyone! Great job Doomkid, keep it up (as if you never kept it up XD)

Hey everyone, just posting because I updated this again today! Here's what's been added:

-OATB: Oops! All Techbase

-Akeldama

-CENTAURI: Alpha Centauri

-The 64 KB challenge (both vanilla and limit removing)

-The latest build of REKKR

-SPRFIX19: Doom / Doom 2 minor sprite fixing project

-BB4DOOM: Beavis and Butthead for Doom and Doom2 (found by Mad Butcher)

I've also added JadingTsunami's excellent vanilla launcher VULD under the "utils" directory.

Link is still the same as before, I''ve simply updated the zip: https://doomshack.org/~doomkid/DOOMWADS.zip

Still planning to add Rowdy Rudy II once it's finished, and Misjudged Massacre looks like it will be a fine addition once complete as well.

Any more suggestions, please don't hesitate to share them!

#1KILL

!PIPE!

!POIS!

1_ON_1

11BONES

11GETBFG

11NIDECK

1500AD

21RATMAZ

666EPIS

A41_SPDM

AARRGHH!

ABYSS

ACHERON

AE_PROJR

ALBILLO

ALCATRZ1

ALONE

AMBUSH

ANDER2

ANRRTI

APOCALYP

APOCH(1-5)

ARACHNA

ATRIUM

BAK2HELL

BARONBBQ

BARREL2

BASILICA

BASTARD3

BCDEATH

BILBO11

BLAKHELL

BNBEYOND

BUNKER (Terry Hamel)

CASTEVIL

CHEESE

CHURCH

COMCON

CONQUEST

CONVERTM

CORTYR_B

CRESCENT

CROSST

CYKE

CYRIL2

DANTE666

DAMN2

DARK20

DBUILDK

DERTURM

DETH1

DETHFLOW

DIIE

DMANMLY

DMHUNGER

This is just off the top of my head coupled with a quick look at my demos, I'll add more later.

Good thing you changed the name from "Classic Vanilla Pack" as most of the classics are in fact missing at the moment. :)

edit:

- DEADBASE and MNTFIRE can be replaced with the unified WSTLAND, which also has the third map in the series (SANDSDTH) not in this list

- The UCA series is missing DIOPATRA and TALPOIDA. Along with SAPIDUSB they were designed to be played continuously.

Edited by Never_Again : added notes about two series

Thank you Never_Again, this is extremely helpful. If you do the rest of the alphabet with roughly this number of wads for each letter, we'll probably end up with ~500-600+ wads in total. Which is just fine by me!

51 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Thank you Never_Again, this is extremely helpful. If you do the rest of the alphabet with roughly this number of wads for each letter, we'll probably end up with ~500-600+ wads in total. Which is just fine by me!

A few more:

578MB?! That's insane!

...okay, give me some time.

Over 60 new additions to the Doom1 section thanks to Never_Again! The new version of the pack hasn't been uploaded yet as I'd like to wait for the rest of the alphabet of entries I've forgotten or missed. I've also added the handful that Redneckerz suggested as well as Pierrot's wad for Plutonia.

I accepted just about every item on the list, sans about 8 or so that seemed too sloppy even for a pack that generally has open arms to basic or antiquated mapping of the old era. Looking forward to adding the rest!

Edited by Doomkid

Oooo, I wonder if that BUNKER is the one I remember from the 90s... When the pack has been updated, I'll have to have a look.

7 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

Over 60 new additions to the Doom1 section thanks to Never_Again! The new version of the pack hasn't been uploaded yet as I'd like to wait for the rest of the alphabet of entries I've forgotten or missed. I've also added the handful that Redneckerz suggested as well.

I accepted just about every item on the list, sans about 8 or so that seemed too sloppy even for a pack that generally has open arms to basic or antiquated mapping of the old era. Looking forward to adding the rest!

Another one for the utils i recently had the joy of getting on /idgames:

Vanilla Doom Actions. More details ive written up here.