Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AmenTheRock

P.R.I.S.O.N (DOOM 2 MAP)

Hello, My Name Is Amen, I joined the community 3 days ago, and with the help of some suggestions I am now creating a mod called P.R.I.S.O.N (yeah I added points just to look cool), I have finished the very first level of the game, and want some ideas and suggestions for it!
Download (Bundled With DOOM2.WAD) [LINK REMOVED: Do not post Doom2.wad here!]

Screenshot_1.png.c434f555ce8850f1ddf26489b18e403a.png

Here Is The Full Map 

Screenshot_3.png.c8e674459433eceeff7f3b51f03053df.pngA Zoom In On The Stairs Area (No Enemies)Screenshot_2.png.5b544153f11d6edb24fb11eae6e102c8.png

The Stairs From a 3d perspective

Screenshot_6.png.4a948e9c51978f780bb9b82bd0628c14.pngA Zoom In On The Starting AreaScreenshot_4.png.e71c60f45dab5476996be27c49aa40fb.png

A Zoom In On The Stairs Area (With Enemies)

As you can see, This is the first map in the mod, so feedback is very appreciated! and if you could help me in scripting or making the map better please contact me asap!

1 hour ago, AmenTheRock said:

Seriously that's all? no rating or testing it out? only pointing out a minor detail??

are you actually serious or trolling?

12 minutes ago, omegamer said:

are you actually serious or trolling?

wdym? I am serious I am making an actual mod

3 hours ago, AmenTheRock said:

Seriously that's all? no rating or testing it out? only pointing out a minor detail??

Ok, it's pretty terrible, i rate this 2/10. Go and learn how to map, maybe after few months or years of hard work you'll get something acceptable.

21 hours ago, AmenTheRock said:

Download (Bundled With DOOM2.WAD)

ckIm8Y9.png

Uh dude, you can't just illegally distribute the Doom 2 WAD like that. You can just safely assume that any of us who'd be willing to look at your Mod/WAD would already have that. You should probably remove it from your zip file. 

2 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

ckIm8Y9.png

Uh dude, you can't just illegally distribute the Doom 2 WAD like that. You can just safely assume that any of us who'd be willing to look at your Mod/WAD would already have that. You should probably remove it from your zip file. 

Thanks for informing me,i will try to reupload a version of it without the doom2.wad,while am doing that,what do you think of the map?

Just now, Chainie said:

Ok, it's pretty terrible, i rate this 2/10. Go and learn how to map, maybe after few months or years of hard work you'll get something acceptable.

"Ok,its pretty terrible...Go and learn how to map" I said I am a beginner, and I started mapping almost yesterday, and not its not "pretty terrible" for a first map.
"maybe after few months or years of hard work you'll get something acceptable." the map is good enough for a MAP01,3 people agreed with me on this.
This map took me 2 days to finalize, and you just brush it off as "bad",kinda unmotivates me.

9 hours ago, AmenTheRock said:

Thanks for informing me,i will try to reupload a version of it without the doom2.wad,while am doing that,what do you think of the map?

No problem, man. You've got to be careful about that sort of thing after all. Can't make yourself, and by extension Doomworld itself, liable for piracy.

As for your map it's erm... well, it's not very good, I'm sorry. It's really boring to look at because you only used two textures and they're implemented rather poorly. When you leave the first room, there's this huge amount of empty space with nothing in it that could have a myriad of more interesting things in it and you can speed through the whole thing in about 3-4 seconds. I do find the concept of a prison break for a WAD interesting, but currently the map doesn't really feel like I'm doing such a thing.

No doubt this is a new experience for you and the more you do it and study other people's WADs and learn some tips and tricks about level progression, challenge, enemy placement, I'm sure you'll sharpen your skills as a mapper. Good luck to you, fam.

Edited by Biodegradable

9 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

No problem, man. You've got to be careful about that sort of thing after all. Can't make yourself, and by extension Doomworld itself, liable for piracy.

As for your map it's erm... well, it's not very good, I'm sorry. It's really boring to look at because you only used two textures and they're implemented rather poorly. When you leave the first room, there's this huge amount of empty space with nothing in it that could be have a myriad of more interesting things in it and you can speed through the whole thing in about 3-4 seconds. I do find the concept of a prison break for a WAD interesting, but currently the map doesn't really feel like I'm doing such a thing.

No doubt this is a new experience for you and the more you do it and study other people's WADs and learn some tips and tricks about level progression, challenge, enemy placement, I'm sure you'll sharpen your skills as a mapper. Good luck to you, fam.

"It's really boring to look at because you only used two textures and they're implemented rather poorly. When you leave the first room" I admit that I really didn't know where to put more textures.

"When you leave the first room, there's this huge amount of empty space with nothing in it" I was planning to add enemys or cells of some sort of decoration there.

"it and you can speed through the whole thing in about 3-4 seconds." I did myself and found that kinda uninteresting too.

"but currently the map doesn't really feel like I'm doing such a thing." I am also planning to add an interesting story to it that I might publish soon :D

"Good luck to you, fam." Thanks a lot, at least you answered politely to me which calmed me down a bit.

Mods modify the game, and WADs are levels for the game.

Just now, JXC said:

Mods modify the game, and WADs are levels for the game.

Oh, I originally didn't know the difference, thanks.
well then, what do you think of the map?

Okay, review time. The starting room is pretty bright also the berserk pack and the chainsaw are given too early, the ss officers aren't very good for the environment maybe replace them with zombiemen or imps. Wall textures for the floor aren't exactly cashmoney but at least you made an attempt at texturing.

Also the mis-alligned textures make me cringe with disgust, overall it's not good but you can improve over the future.

RATING:1/10

4 minutes ago, DRMman said:

Okay, review time. The starting room is pretty bright also the berserk pack and the chainsaw are given too early, the ss officers aren't very good for the environment maybe replace them with zombiemen or imps. Wall textures for the floor aren't exactly cashmoney but at least you made an attempt at texturing.

Also the mis-alligned textures make me cringe with disgust, overall it's not good but you can improve over the future.

RATING:1/10

"the ss officers aren't very good for the environment" I do agree with your point, but I couldn't find a character that looks like "prison guards"

"Wall textures for the floor aren't exactly cashmoney" I tried to make the room look like its "rusting"

"Also the mis-alligned textures make me cringe with disgust" The doors textures are either too small or too big so I had to misalign them so they look good enough (note: "make me cringe with disgust" isn't really a word that describes this correctly)

"RATING:1/10" A bit unfair but alright I guess

Thanks for your feedback!

2 minutes ago, AmenTheRock said:

"the ss officers aren't very good for the environment" I do agree with your point, but I couldn't find a character that looks like "prison guards"

"Wall textures for the floor aren't exactly cashmoney" I tried to make the room look like its "rusting"

"Also the mis-alligned textures make me cringe with disgust" The doors textures are either too small or too big so I had to misalign them so they look good enough (note: "make me cringe with disgust" isn't really a word that describes this correctly)

"RATING:1/10" A bit unfair but alright I guess

Thanks for your feedback!

1."I do agree with your point, but i couldn't find a character that looks like "prison guards". Well in the future when you update this map maybe some custom enemies could help.

2 minutes ago, DRMman said:

1."I do agree with your point, but i couldn't find a character that looks like "prison guards". Well in the future when you update this map maybe some custom enemies could help.

Sure,If i learn how to import models il try making a custom enemy

3 hours ago, Chainie said:

Funny, but you don't have to be this rude...

As for my thoughts:

This level fails in every design aspect... I mean, you just began map-making yesterday and you finish a level in the same day, and share it like you're proud of it? How much time did you actually put into making it?

You need to put effort into something regardless of how skilled you are. This rush resulted in your level being bad even for first level standards.

Now compare your level to the original E1M1 of Doom 1:

E1M1 has a layout with intricate architecture that forces the player to move dinamically, fills the level with life and is clear with its thematic. It makes it fun to both move through and look at. Examples, the pillars in the starting room, the rectangular structure in the middle of the second room, with zombies inside and armor pickups, and in the third room a zig-zagging bridge connecting one side of the room to the other.

Along with that, the level has a high texture and color variety, that add to the technological space base theme and make it interesting to look at. For example, the computers panels in walls and ceiling lights.

As for your level:

It is entirely composed of empty rectangulars -- a boring layout which provides no dynamic in gameplay, has no actual theme (and in no way does it resemble a prison), and as result of so much lack of creativity and interesting architecture it looks and plays very badly.

If it's still hard to see what's lacking, try comparing any scene from your level to the screenshot below.

crispy-doom_ufB5Oger22.png.66fedec1129c4115f70d04b3b6889774.png

Don't be so ambitious as to try to make a new enemy and import models right off the bat... Play more wads, see what you like about them and what they do well, and improve. First familiarize yourself with the game and its tools.

I also recommend you upgrade to Ultimate Doom Builder, since the builder you seem to be using in the screenshots is very outdaded.

Take small steps and start by using a simple mapping format, such as Doom: Doom 2 (Doom format), aim to first make regular, non-costumized levels first and keep trying until people tell you that your levels are decent and worth their time to play through. Don't dream big until then.

16 minutes ago, Juza said:

Funny, but you don't have to be this rude...

As for my thoughts:

This level fails in every design aspect... I mean, you just began map-making yesterday and you finish a level in the same day, and share it like you're proud of it? How much time did you actually put into making it?

You need to put effort into something regardless of how skilled you are. This rush resulted in your level being bad even for first level standards.

Now compare your level to the original E1M1 of Doom 1:

E1M1 has a layout with intricate architecture that forces the player to move dinamically, fills the level with life and is clear with its thematic. It makes it fun to both move through and look at. Examples, the pillars in the starting room, the rectangular structure in the middle of the second room, with zombies inside and armor pickups, and in the third room a zig-zagging bridge connecting one side of the room to the other.

Along with that, the level has a high texture and color variety, that add to the technological space base theme and make it interesting to look at. For example, the computers panels in walls and ceiling lights.

As for your level:

It is entirely composed of empty rectangulars -- a boring layout which provides no dynamic in gameplay, has no actual theme (and in no way does it resemble a prison), and as result of so much lack of creativity and interesting architecture it looks and plays very badly.

If it's still hard to see what's lacking, try comparing any scene from your level to the screenshot below.

crispy-doom_ufB5Oger22.png.66fedec1129c4115f70d04b3b6889774.png

Don't be so ambitious as to try to make a new enemy and import models right off the bat... Play more wads, see what you like about them and what they do well, and improve. First familiarize yourself with the game and its tools.

I also recommend you upgrade to Ultimate Doom Builder, since the builder you seem to be using in the screenshots is very outdaded.

Take small steps and start by using a simple mapping format, such as Doom: Doom 2 (Doom format), aim to first make regular, non-costumized levels first and keep trying until people tell you that your levels are decent and worth their time to play through. Don't dream big until then.

Thanks For the feedback! I will retry to make the MAP01 From scratch again

"I also recommend you upgrade to Ultimate Doom Builder, since the builder you seem to be using in the screenshots is very outdated." I am using Doom Builder 2 Which seems to be the program that has the most tutorials.

"Take small steps and start by using a simple mapping format, such as Doom: Doom 2 (Doom format), aim to first make regular, non-costumized levels" I am using ZDOOM (Doom In Hexen Format) Because it seems much more easier to use for me than the regular format,I am also making very basic level with the base textures and enemies.

This honestly does remind me a little of my first efforts when I discovered the 'Forge' editor for Marathon when I was very young. I never shared anything I made - I made them just out of the joy of creating rooms and corridors. My first efforts for Doom were in the same vein, and they definitely weren't very interesting. If you find that you also really enjoy making maps, maybe spend a while just making them for yourself. Become really familiar with the available toolset. And be prepared to spend a long time on a map to really make it interesting for the player. Some people can speedmap well - these people have put in a lot of practice to be able to do so. The rest of us spend days or weeks on almost every map.

Also, make sure you're playing a lot of other maps, and try and think about what makes them fun/not fun to play. I tried to make a deathmatch mapset early on when I had almost no experience playing actual deathmatch. The mapset failed spectacularly.

The advice to use a more simple mapping format is so that you don't get overwhelmed by options, and also so that you don't get so caught up in what's possible that you forget about the core aspects of maps that make them fun to play. I'd also advise you to use a more basic format, such as Boom, or if you do stay with Hexen format, to ignore a lot of the more advanced possibilities for now.

The vibe I get from playing the map and from reading your posts is that you are very excited about the possibilities of making maps. That's great! Make sure you keep that. But be prepared to work hard. Keep in mind that you don't need to spend a lot of time on something for it to seem fresh and interesting to you, as you're starting out. It won't necessarily be interesting to other people, however, as most of us have already moved through that stage (and we remember our early efforts too). For example, the blue door in your map with the key right next to it. I think I get that the monsters are 'guarding' the key (hence prison break) but there are more interesting ways to do this - put the key in another room, for example, or several rooms away. Putting a key right next to the door it unlocks might seem fine to you, since using keys and doors is new to you, but to other people it will seem pointless.

Edited by stewboy

1 hour ago, stewboy said:

This honestly does remind me a little of my first efforts when I discovered the 'Forge' editor for Marathon when I was very young. I never shared anything I made - I made them just out of the joy of creating rooms and corridors. My first efforts for Doom were in the same vein, and they definitely weren't very interesting. If you find that you also really enjoy making maps, maybe spend a while just making them for yourself. Become really familiar with the available toolset. And be prepared to spend a long time on a map to really make it interesting for the player. Some people can speedmap well - these people have put in a lot of practice to be able to do so. The rest of us spend days or weeks on almost every map.

Also, make sure you're playing a lot of other maps, and try and think about what makes them fun/not fun to play. I tried to make a deathmatch mapset early on when I had almost no experience playing actual deathmatch. The mapset failed spectacularly.

The advice to use a more simple mapping format is so that you don't get overwhelmed by options, and also so that you don't get so caught up in what's possible that you forget about the core aspects of maps that make them fun to play. I'd also advise you to use a more basic format, such as Boom, or if you do stay with Hexen format, to ignore a lot of the more advanced possibilities for now.

The vibe I get from playing the map and from reading your posts is that you are very excited about the possibilities of making maps. That's great! Make sure you keep that. But be prepared to work hard. Keep in mind that you don't need to spend a lot of time on something for it to seem fresh and interesting to you, as you're starting out. It won't necessarily be interesting to other people, however, as most of us have already moved through that stage (and we remember our early efforts too). For example, the blue door in your map with the key right next to it. I think I get that the monsters are 'guarding' the key (hence prison break) but there are more interesting ways to do this - put the key in another room, for example, or several rooms away. Putting a key right next to the door it unlocks might seem fine to you, since using keys and doors is new to you, but to other people it will seem pointless.

This is amazing, you are a very cool person with a very cool story! , I do really relate to you and your story!

To be honest, the Wolf 3D E1M1 (aka Doom 2 map 31) is the most "classic" example of jailbreak (despite the fact that it is quite large).

10 hours ago, AmenTheRock said:

Oh, I originally didn't know the difference, thanks.
well then, what do you think of the map?

I haven't tried it yet tbh.