Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Alexagon

Texture colors super messed up when loading multiple texture packs

2 hours ago, Alexagon said:

When I try to add the switches to the PNAMES table, it says I shouldn't do it without using the texture editor

While the texture editor is closed, right-click on the image and in the context menu click on "add to patch table".

You can also use "add to textures" which will do that and also automatically create a new texture with the same name as the patch.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

While the texture editor is closed, right-click on the image and in the context menu click on "add to patch table".

You can also use "add to textures" which will do that and also automatically create a new texture with the same name as the patch.

Alright so I added them to the table, made new entries in the texture editor and applied the appropriate textures to the new patches, but now they aren't showing up in the Builder.

Save the textures, save the file, reload the resources in builder.

20 minutes ago, Gez said:

Save the textures, save the file, reload the resources in builder.

I already did that. No dice.

EDIT: So I'm dumb. I was looking for the patch name in the builder instead of the texture name. Whoops.

EDIT 2: So I was loading the resource into the game config menu in the builder, but when I load it initially with the map itself, the colors then get messed up in the editor itself. I take that to mean that the regular boom format doesn't support PNG. I tried it with GZDoom format and it did the same thing, but with ZDoom it worked fine. I tried converting all the images to the Doom paletted format, but colors get messed up when doing so even though in the preview it looks fine.

Also, unrelated, but the medieval texture pack has two sky wall textures instead of being flats. Know how I could change that?

Edited by Alexagon

28 minutes ago, Alexagon said:

EDIT 2: So I was loading the resource into the game config menu in the builder, but when I load it initially with the map itself, the colors then get messed up in the editor itself. I take that to mean that the regular boom format doesn't support PNG. I tried it with GZDoom format and it did the same thing, but with ZDoom it worked fine.

It's more a question of port than of format. There's no reason for PNGs not to work in Boom format. It sounds more like a bug in the editor than anything else, and while it can be annoying not to have an accurate preview of how the textures will work in the level while working in the editor, what really matters is that they work in the game -- it's not a crippling problem if they just look ugly in the editor.

25 minutes ago, Alexagon said:

Also, unrelated, but the medieval texture pack has two sky wall textures instead of being flats. Know how I could change that?

All skies are technically wall textures; the sky flat is a placeholder. This is because the sky is rendered vertically, like walls, not horizontally -- it's projected as a large cylinder around the player, basically. Since flats are limited to 64x64, they would make very poor skies anyway.

https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Sky

9 minutes ago, Gez said:

It's more a question of port than of format. There's no reason for PNGs not to work in Boom format. It sounds more like a bug in the editor than anything else, and while it can be annoying not to have an accurate preview of how the textures will work in the level while working in the editor, what really matters is that they work in the game -- it's not a crippling problem if they just look ugly in the editor.

All skies are technically wall textures; the sky flat is a placeholder. This is because the sky is rendered vertically, like walls, not horizontally -- it's projected as a large cylinder around the player, basically. Since flats are limited to 64x64, they would make very poor skies anyway.

The colors were messed up in the game as well.

EDIT: The colors go back to normal when I have the medieval resource set to load first, but is still effed in the game itself.

How can I use the sky texture if I need to apply it to a ceiling but it's only available as a wall texture?

Edited by Alexagon

1 hour ago, Alexagon said:

The colors were messed up in the game as well.

EDIT: The colors go back to normal when I have the medieval resource set to load first

Remove the PLAYPAL lump from the medieval texture pack. The game loads it and as a result uses the Heretic palette while the assets are now made to fit the Doom palette.

1 hour ago, Alexagon said:

How can I use the sky texture if I need to apply it to a ceiling but it's only available as a wall texture?

You use the sky flat, and where the game finds it, instead of drawing the flat as it would normally, it draws the sky. Again, see the Sky article for technical details. For ZDoom-specific enhancements, you can also see Sky.

20 hours ago, Gez said:

You use the sky flat, and where the game finds it, instead of drawing the flat as it would normally, it draws the sky. Again, see the Sky article for technical details. For ZDoom-specific enhancements, you can also see Sky.

The problem is that it's not a flat.

This is not a problem. You do not apply the sky texture directly to the ceiling, you put the sky flat there and the game will special-case it to draw the sky instead of drawing a regular flat.

Using the FSKY1 flat will automatically display either the SKY1 / SKY2 / SKY3 texture depending on which map slot you're using.

so, you'd edit one of those textures in Slade or something, then in Doom Builder, you'd apply the FSKY1 flat and viola, custom sky.

8 minutes ago, Gez said:

This is not a problem. You do not apply the sky texture directly to the ceiling, you put the sky flat there and the game will special-case it to draw the sky instead of drawing a regular flat.

Yes, I understand that. The sky texture is not available to be placed there as a flat, since it's not considered a flat in the texture pack.

Also, the texture pack has several double defined patches for some reason.

EDIT: That, and also when launching the game, a bunch of unknown patch errors show up. I don't know if it's a hexen thing, but many of the textures in this pack have patches that don't exist anywhere else in the pack.

Edited by Alexagon

14 minutes ago, Alexagon said:

EDIT: That, and also when launching the game, a bunch of unknown patch errors show up. I don't know if it's a hexen thing, but many of the textures in this pack have patches that don't exist anywhere else in the pack. 

The medieval textures are made for Heretic, so they probably refer to Heretic patches.

Tell you what: if you open heretic.wad, medvltex.wad, and your own project together in SLADE, and open texture editor tabs for all three of them, when you copy-paste textures from Heretic or Medieval Textures to your own project, the patches should be also automatically copied, so you should get everything you need.

2 minutes ago, Gez said:

The medieval textures are made for Heretic, so they probably refer to Heretic patches.

Tell you what: if you open heretic.wad, medvltex.wad, and your own project together in SLADE, and open texture editor tabs for all three of them, when you copy-paste textures from Heretic or Medieval Textures to your own project, the patches should be also automatically copied, so you should get everything you need.

So Just go to the texture editor for either one and copy them from there, then convert them all to the doom palette?

Yeah. Copy from one texture editor tab to another texture editor tab, you get all the patches added to your wad automatically, and then convert all Heretic-paletted patches to either PNG format or Doom-paletted graphics.

43 minutes ago, Gez said:

Yeah. Copy from one texture editor tab to another texture editor tab, you get all the patches added to your wad automatically, and then convert all Heretic-paletted patches to either PNG format or Doom-paletted graphics.

My map currently doesn't have any textures in it at all, so if I copy the textures over, will the become available in the editor as well if I don't load the texture pack resource? And I assume I'll have to copy from Hexen (Heretic?) to get the patches, and not copy from medivtex.

Yes, if you copy the texture to your wad you will not need to load the texture packs anymore (at least for the textures you copied). Medieval textures is for Heretic, not for Hexen, they're different games with different palettes and different resources. You will have to copy from medivtex too if you want the medivtex textures but you first have to get the Heretic textures to make sure you have all the needed patches.

18 hours ago, Gez said:

Yes, if you copy the texture to your wad you will not need to load the texture packs anymore (at least for the textures you copied). Medieval textures is for Heretic, not for Hexen, they're different games with different palettes and different resources. You will have to copy from medivtex too if you want the medivtex textures but you first have to get the Heretic textures to make sure you have all the needed patches.

Do I need to copy over both TEXTURE1/2 files from Heretic and medivtex also? And the PNAMES file from the latter?

Open the texture editor, select all textures, copy, then paste them in the texture editor for your own wad. Do that for Heretic and medivtex. Don't worry about the PNAMES, it's handled automatically.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

Open the texture editor, select all textures, copy, then paste them in the texture editor for your own wad. Do that for Heretic and medivtex. Don't worry about the PNAMES, it's handled automatically.

Awesome, that worked. although the F_SKY1 texture I'm using is all color messed up now. And for some reason, the Plutonia and TNT skies aren't rendering as skies.

The normal behavior is that there's one sky per level, which is defined by the episode (in Doom II/Final Doom, episode 1 is MAP01-MAP11, episode 2 is MAP12-MAP20, and episode 3 is MAP21-MAP30; yes they're not even in size with episode 1 a bit longer and episode 2 a bit shorter).

With ZDoom, you can define the sky used on a per-map basis in MAPINFO. You can also use different tricks to have several skies in the same map, using the sky transfer functions that project a line's upper front texture to the sky of tagged sectors.

And as always for messed colors, make sure the image is either truecolor or adapted to the palette used, and that you don't accidentally include an incompatible palette.

6 minutes ago, Gez said:

The normal behavior is that there's one sky per level, which is defined by the episode (in Doom II/Final Doom, episode 1 is MAP01-MAP11, episode 2 is MAP12-MAP20, and episode 3 is MAP21-MAP30; yes they're not even in size with episode 1 a bit longer and episode 2 a bit shorter).

With ZDoom, you can define the sky used on a per-map basis in MAPINFO. You can also use different tricks to have several skies in the same map, using the sky transfer functions that project a line's upper front texture to the sky of tagged sectors.

And as always for messed colors, make sure the image is either truecolor or adapted to the palette used, and that you don't accidentally include an incompatible palette.

I didn't import a new palette when I imported all the textures. Should I just find the sky texture I want and rename it to F_SKY1 and put it into my map with slade? Would I then have to define it in the texture editor?

7 minutes ago, Alexagon said:

Should I just find the sky texture I want and rename it to F_SKY1

No.

I've linked to the wiki articles already, so please, please, please take a look at them. F_SKY1 is the name of the placeholder flat, but not the name of the sky texture shown. Sky textures are named SKY1, SKY2, SKY3, and (Ultimate Doom only) SKY4.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Sky

If you want to use different skies, use MAPINFO, or use the sky transfer effects.

46 minutes ago, Gez said:

No.

I've linked to the wiki articles already, so please, please, please take a look at them. F_SKY1 is the name of the placeholder flat, but not the name of the sky texture shown. Sky textures are named SKY1, SKY2, SKY3, and (Ultimate Doom only) SKY4.

https://zdoom.org/wiki/Sky

If you want to use different skies, use MAPINFO, or use the sky transfer effects.

I appreciate the help. You have had far too much patience with me with this but I'm very grateful.