Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

Is there a way Doom can be used as a therapeutic tool?

I know some games have been used as a way to overcome fears or be used in therapy in some form, but does Doom have that potential too?

Doom is pretty moddable, so I think it could be used as a therapeutic tool. Someone has a fear of spiders? Use Arachnotrons to help them overcome that fear. Someone is having anxiety issues with the pandemic going on? Let them fight corona. I'm not experienced in either the medical field or the modding field, but I think you can understand what I'm trying to say.

And even on a basic level, I know some people already find Doom as relaxing and calming, so it can have a positive effect on the people playing it.

1 minute ago, DangerousDave said:

I know some games have been used as a way to overcome fears or be used in therapy in some form, but does Doom have that potential too?

Doom is pretty moddable, so I think it could be used as a therapeutic tool. Someone has a fear of spiders? Use Arachnotrons to help them overcome that fear. Someone is having anxiety issues with the pandemic going on? Let them fight corona. I'm not experienced in either the medical field or the modding field, but I think you can understand what I'm trying to say.

And even on a basic level, I know some people already find Doom as relaxing and calming, so it can have a positive effect on the people playing it.

The engine, yes. The game? That's a much tougher sell.

Though if people are scared of small little spiders, I doubt giving them plasma guns and making them much taller will make them feel any less afraid. :P

Just now, Dark Pulse said:

The engine, yes. The game? That's a much tougher sell.

Though if people are scared of small little spiders, I doubt giving them plasma guns and making them much taller will make them feel any less afraid. :P

The engine is definitely capable of being used in a therapeutic way, there's no doubt about that. You're also right about the game itself being much more difficult to use in the same way. Though I have heard that with Skyrim, it has helped that way because they've used the mod that turns the spiders into Spiderman to help people overcome arachnophobia. I'll have to look into it, though.

7 minutes ago, Maximum Matt said:

I've been using Doom as therapy for about twenty-five goddamn years

And then you played Maximum Doom, and all that therapy swirled down the shitter.

I am surprised nobody has made a Doom take on ''Where's Waldo'' called ''Where's Caco''.

Spot the Cacodemon amidst dozens of other hellspawn.

Probably would work best with DeHackEd monsters that can mimic other monsters so that the Caco you need to find relies on a particular detail every level (Example: Caco has a tiny rose on the bottom part of his body, or Caco's bottom part of his eye has a slight red hue)

Edited by Redneckerz

1 hour ago, Redneckerz said:

I am surprised nobody has made a Doom take on ''Where's Waldo'' called ''Where's Caco''.

Spot the Cacodemon amidst dozens of other hellspawn.

Probably would work best with DeHackEd monsters that can mimic other monsters so that the Caco you need to find relies on a particular detail every level (Example: Caco has a tiny rose on the bottom part of his body, or Caco's left eye is has a slight red hue)

Cacodemons have two eyes? Although the idea of a "Where's Waldo" WAD is a pretty good one, might actually be pretty fun.

17 minutes ago, DangerousDave said:

Cacodemons have two eyes? Although the idea of a "Where's Waldo" WAD is a pretty good one, might actually be pretty fun.

No, one. I thought of a Mancubi, ill edit it out ;)

11 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

No, one. I thought of a Mancubi, ill edit it out ;)

You were thinking of something else that the Cacos have two of, weren't you?

1 hour ago, Dark Pulse said:

You were thinking of something else that the Cacos have two of, weren't you?

I weren't.

Im sorry to disappoint you in that regard.

8 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

I weren't.

Im sorry to disappoint you in that regard.

John, this idea is crazier than your "Family park with murderous lizards".

I would say it is calming to play any game if you had a tough day. it takes your mind off of things, so I guess even horror games could be therapeutic. 

On 5/28/2020 at 4:11 PM, Dark Pulse said:

And then you played Maximum Doom, and all that therapy swirled down the shitter.

I'M GOING TO PLAY ALL THE COMPILATION CD'S AND NOBODY'S GONNA STOP ME.

More serious post:

Doom is a great creative outlet.   A lot of people's problem is they have no such thing.   They create nothing, lack imagination, and are just consumers.

7 hours ago, Vic Vos said:

I'M GOING TO PLAY ALL THE COMPILATION CD'S AND NOBODY'S GONNA STOP ME.

A moment of pre-emptive silence for Vic Vos.

Rumor has it you can still hear his laughter echoing in E43M22: Halls of HOM...