Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Redneckerz

An exceptional take on Classic Doom. What are your recent examples??

Note: Ive removed all the personal information so that just the opinion is visible. This was in regards to a thread of someone being disappointed with Halo: Custom Edition. Not a Reddit post. (But i am sure you can guess where else this is from.)

Then this take showed up:

5ginuao.png

Pretty clear this user does not like PC games or games in general, but the sheer amount of wrong condensed in one post was something else. This is apparently a serious opinion.

Thread question:

Barring troll commentary, i'd love to hear the ridiculous takes people have ushered over classic Doom in modern times. Do note that i am not talking about the controversy that arose when Doom was released or that its the AntiChrist - I am primarily talking about current-day takes like the one above.

I used to run a meme account on Instagram in 2018 and befriended this guy. A cool and fun guy, he once tried playing Classic Doom, but stopped after he found out about, erm... the Columbine Massacre.

I echo cambreaKer's sentiment. This clown's words just smack of try-hard contrarian nonsense for attention and to stir shit up. Doubt he's actually played HL, Duke or Doom once.

When it comes to classic Doom, the great thing about it is that unlike several other games, you can build custom maps with custom graphics and sounds thanks to level editing and wad editing software (such as GZDoom Builder for level editing and Slade 3 for wad editing).

I agree with a few of these
lol
the graphic style of Doom is really try-hard gory with all the bloody body fetish props and textures, the chaingunner's head popping open on death and in general the huge amounts of red pixels everywhere. the toxic masculinity deal is also present ("Find some meat!") but, well, it was the mid-nineties, around the time really irreverent and gory comics got popular, import anime films with bodies casually exploding into masses of terrible flesh, the NIN video with the monkey tied to the cross, constant reruns of 80s action films etc etc, just the edge zone in general.
Doom has very simplistic AI (which I think is a strength, but it's a thing)

not all the tunes from Doom are that strong, and everyone hears different things from music; if you chiefly hear the timbre of the music then general MIDI is gonna be grating on your ears

pretty sure Doom has co-op though LOL

Hmm....I had made a post about an interesting Final Doom letter I sent to a magazine back in the 1996, but the OP is not visible anymore :-o

FWIW, they were talking shit about (Final) Doom, and had a long history of trying to diss and bury Doom at any chance. But none of their "Doom killers" has Doom's standing today.

there's so many wrong about the hot take that I won't even try to comment and list what is wrong on those

but clearly someone never played those games listed, at fucking all.

12 minutes ago, yakfak said:

the toxic masculinity deal is also present ("Find some meat!")

How is "Find some meat" toxic masculinity?

I wonder what that guy's opinion of Daikatana would be. It certainly had allied AI...

1 minute ago, ZeroTheEro said:

but clearly someone never played those games listed, at fucking all.

Exactly. The "No coop" point alone proves he has never played any of those games. Only Wolf3D doesn't have it (and not sure about HL) but rest have coop.

Just now, ReaperAA said:

Exactly. The "No coop" point alone proves he has never played any of those games. Only Wolf3D doesn't have it (and not sure about HL) but rest have coop.

Half-Life doesn't have coop in the vanilla sense, but it does take on two forms to my knowledge: Half-Life Decay and Sven Co-Op.

5 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

@Redneckerz I demand to know where this post came from. I am in serious mood of refuting this person's opinion

You will have to reset back an entire era to find out. ;)

Everywhere else this would be a pure troll, but this seems geniune.

Even Duke Nukem's toxic masculinity does not really apply because that user thinks of Forever and not Duke 3D which was tongue-in-cheek and accurate for the time frame.

14 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

@Redneckerz I demand to know where this post came from. I am in serious mood of refuting this person's opinion

Probably Something Awful or a similar cesspool from bygone eras. Do you really want to chase down and flame some old, bitter former(?) SA Goon?

Just now, Maes said:

Probably Something Awful or a similar cesspool from eras bygone. Do you really want to chase down and flame some old, bitter former(?) SA Goon?

For what it is worth, i gave a hint to the site's name in my response ;)

6 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

For what it is worth, i gave a hint to the site's name in my response ;)

Oh. I got it 😑. Well I couldn't have expected anything different from that site.

@Redneckerz The guy is quite a "Liar" it seems.

11 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

You will have to reset back an entire era to find out. ;)

Okay NOW it all makes sense lmao.

8 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Oh. I got it 😑. Well I couldn't have expected anything different from that site.

@Redneckerz The guy is quite a "Liar" it seems.

I never said it was a rational opinion. :P But given that it was not barred or shut down, it seems it is.

(Its also why i edited everything out because god knows they will find it otherwise.)

Disclaimer: I was a short lived member there.

Toxicity has nothing to do with masculinity nor even femininity for that matter.

Edited by Avoozl

About the thread question, per ce, i had an anecdote from last year.

A friend of mine, while we were on freetime during a class, asked me why i continue playing a game soo old, so i showed him a few videos of some GZDoom projects that stood by themselves as a way to explain him hownthe community advanced. Well the Professor was nearby and he stood back and looked at what i showed my friend, and suddenly, in a nostalgia trip, told us that when he was a teenager, around 1998, he played Doom a whole evening, and that he dreamed that same night that he was playing it nonstop. That dream, he told us, was a changing experience to him, and since that moment never again played Doom.

Back in present day, while looking the videos on screen, professor said that the advance is incredible, but not much of today people will like the outdated graphics and gory nonsense, specialy this, that Doom was.

Then i showed him a video of Doom 2016 and he was fascinated about it. But to not contradic himself, he the added that the update oncgraphic are the real sellers in the new Doom.

As we talked, others classmates come by and looked at the old one and the new one, here some commentaries:

-Love the retro graphics, its a new game? (about Doom2).

-I like the newer, i can't understand a thing on that blocky other game.

-The new one is my dream game, gonna buy it asap (i tried to initiate him about Doom2 and modding scene). No, pal! i don't care about that old crap. I like it shiny and gory. Listen to that! Pure metal! it rocks!

-Quite an upgrade, indeed. I would give it a try to that oldie maybe, but its not my cup of tea. Seems pretty outdated.

Maybe those commentaries give an idea of what people think when they see Doom2 for the first time. They all have between 20 and 30 years old.

What on Earth did I just read... This is too... Wrong and insane...

So.... the post just put Halo as FPS-BASE-FOR-ALL and started too cutting all the games that doesn't have the same design? Now, this is just... 

On what basis are they calling the enemy AI "atrocious"? Was there something much better that was around at the time which I somehow missed? Like seriously, did nobody over wherever that was ever think to ask such things? I think it could be done in a polite and non-confrontational manner so that even the worst Miss Manners type community would have to actively make shit up to accuse one of trolling.

Whoever wrote the article used confusion on Shawny... it´s super effective.

But for real, I wonder if the person who wrote that article or w/e hates PC or just great FPS games in general.

Also, as people already pointed out, the a lot of the provided notes are debatable or flatout wrong.

So... yeah.

On the other hand, the games they mentioned are not bad either so I wouldn´t jump to conclusions and call them troll or so.

I'm not sure why you bothered posting that up tbh @Redneckerz, it starts with saying "Before Halo" and then continues with a rather inaccurate list of faults with 90's era classics, give or take a few.   

5 minutes ago, Liberation said:

I'm not sure why you bothered posting that up tbh @Redneckerz, it starts with saying "Before Halo" and then continues with a rather inaccurate list of faults with 90's era classics, give or take a few.   

''Pretty clear this user does not like PC games or games in general, but the sheer amount of wrong condensed in one post was something else. This is apparently a serious opinion.''

I have seen worse incentives to start a thread. Leave me alone :P

4 hours ago, cambreaKer said:

i'm 1000% sure this guy has never played any of the games he listed

Yep, certified troll.

And the fact that he repeatedly mentions the same games indicates strong bias/prejudice against them. "Hurr durr, these games suck REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE".