Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Manapro

Is shareware Doom legal to make WADS in?

I've had this idea that I wanted to use the shareware version of Doom to make WAD, and before I do it, I have a question.

Can you make WADS with the shareware version of Doom?

Now, I know that any ZDoom port wouldn't play the WAD if I used the shareware version, but some other source ports play it like it's just the regular version.

(PrBoom+ only allows shareware mods soooo there's very little source ports that use shareware.) and I'm making the WAD as a for a "free mod" for a free Doom.

Well you're not supposed to run wads with the shareware iwad, but a "shareware wad" would essentially just be an E1 wad with limited monster and texture limits, so it would be perfectly legal to distribute, as long as you don't bundle it with the shareware iwad.

On top of what @Doomkid says, the shareware exe of Doom can be used for Dehacked and to make a copy of it called (DoomHack), which then can be used to merge your DeHackEd patch with the Doom executable.

Technically you could then distribute a modified Doom.exe or Doom2.exe (So shareware Doom executable + DeHackEd patch merged in). Correct me if i am wrong on that one.

I am not certain if they are based off the shareware executable but Entryway's limit raising Doom-plus/Doom2-plus/Hexen-plus/Heretic-plus executable hacks should also be shareware compatible, id reckon.

Edited by Redneckerz

2 hours ago, Wneaf said:

and I'm making the WAD as a for a "free mod" for a free Doom.

Targetting Freedoom would give you more freedom, I think.

I think wads made for shareware aren't compatible with full? Differences in texture definitions or something?

In any case, it would be better to work with Freedoom.

No, they'd be fully compatible, if you got an EXE that allows loading files with the shareware WAD.

Just now, Danfun64 said:

In any case, it would be better to work with Freedoom.

I know the existence of Freedoom, and I would've used it if I wanted, but I wanted to make a shareware WAD, not make a WAD with Freedoom. 

Freedoom in my opinion is fine, it's just not what I want and also, I do have the original Dooms, I had this idea to just remake E1 in the shareware release.

Here is an interesting fact about the wall textures DOOM.WAD

TEXTURE1 use shareware textures, all textures used in episode 1.

TEXTURE2 use registered textures introduced from episode 2.

Also, as another reason why I'm using the shareware release, anyone can just download it and download the shareware version of Doom, at no cost. Maybe anyone that's new to the modding community or anyone who's new to Doom in general, have this neat little shareware WAD to get started.

Id have made abundantly clear since the time that the first level editors appeared that you shouldn't be able to play add-on WADs and mods with the shareware version (see the Data Utility License for example). Most of us in the community have continued to respect that request. Whether it's legal or not, why go out of your way to disrespect it?

And why is the cost so important for you? The Doom games are only about $5 to purchase on Steam nowadays, and I don't see why you think your mod is so special and different to all the others that people have made over the years. 

Just now, fraggle said:

Id have made abundantly clear since the time that the first level editors appeared that you shouldn't be able to play add-on WADs and mods with the shareware version (see the Data Utility License for example). Most of us in the community have continued to respect that request. Whether it's legal or not, why go out of your way to disrespect it?

I didn't know about that, I'm sorry, I'll go discontinue my project.

36 minutes ago, Wneaf said:

Also, as another reason why I'm using the shareware release, anyone can just download it and download the shareware version of Doom, at no cost. Maybe anyone that's new to the modding community or anyone who's new to Doom in general, have this neat little shareware WAD to get started.

Since GOG's having a sale right now:

https://www.gog.com/game/the_ultimate_doom

https://www.gog.com/game/doom_ii_final_doom

Then you won't need to bother with shareware Doom.

Just now, Master O said:

Then you won't need to bother with shareware Doom.

My project had the idea to use the shareware version of Doom, not any other version, but now that I know about the Data Utility Licence, I'll go ahead and discontinue my project.

I mean, you can still make an E1 replacement in the style of the shareware episode - just make it to run with the full game haha.

38 minutes ago, Wneaf said:

My project had the idea to use the shareware version of Doom, not any other version, but now that I know about the Data Utility Licence, I'll go ahead and discontinue my project.

You don't need discontinue your project, you could just use Freedoom phase 1, aim first episode and no one will complain. 

Not trying to be pushy (is that even the right term to be used here?) but I'm honestly intrigued in a project that specifically calls for the Shareware version of Doom. Is there something special about it compared to the registered version? Or maybe it's the fact that it's the Shareware as in the free version?

6 hours ago, fraggle said:

That's strange. I swear I remember being able to use a PWAD with the shareware version in ZDoom a few years back. Not gonna debate any of this though, as much as I want to.

4 minutes ago, EpicTyphlosion said:

That's strange. I swear I remember being able to use a PWAD with the shareware version in ZDoom a few years back. Not gonna debate any of this though, as much as I want to.

It's never been impossible, just something that iD asked WAD makers to not do.  That's why so many 1994 PWADs are in E2M1; it was a very easy way to be sure your map wouldn't work with the shareware.

It's Interesting that id 'respectfully ask' people not to do it, rather than say, 'If you do this, you will go to HELL!'* (as they do in ENDOOM :p). Wonder what the thinking behind that was?

*Be sued for a lot of $/£/<currency>

Yes I know 'Cannot -file with the shareware version. Register!'; I'm talking about the intent here. Why not just make it part of the licence that you can't?

6 hours ago, Martin Howe said:

Yes I know 'Cannot -file with the shareware version. Register!'; I'm talking about the intent here. Why not just make it part of the licence that you can't?

Well, I guess this part of the original shareware license kinda-sorta covers it:

1.   Grant of License.  ID grants to you the right to use the 
Id Software game program (the "Software"), which is the shareware version 
or episode one  of the game program.  For purposes of this section, "use" 
means loading the Software into RAM, as well as installation on a hard disk 
or other storage  device.  You may not:  modify, translate, disassemble, 
decompile, reverse engineer, or create derivative works based upon the 
Software
.  You agree thatd the Software will not be shipped, transferred or 
exported into any country in violation of the U.S. Export Administration Act 
and that you will not utilize, in any other manner, the Software in violation 
of any applicable law.

Also don't forget that id Software was on the forefront of the rather new trend of supporting custom content for video games, when the norms were still emerging. Compare this to the part of the Duke Nukem 3D shareware license that deals with custom levels:

Spoiler

[4]  NEW LEVELS.

"New Levels" are data that modify or substitute for Game data, thus
     modifying or replacing one or more Game levels.  Creating or distributing
     a New Level or a software tool that has no substantial purpose other than
     to contribute to the creation of a New Level infringes rights of 3D Realms
     and is prohibited by law except as permitted by 3D Realms.  3D REALMS
     PERMITS NEW LEVELS ONLY THAT MEET ALL OF THE FOLLOWING CONDITIONS:

[A] The Level must only work with a RETAIL episode of the Game. It must NOT
     work with this Episode One.

The level must not contain modifications to any COM, EXE, or DLL, or to
     other executable file.

[C] The level must not contain any illegal or indecent material, or (without
     appropriate irrevocable licenses) any trademarks, copyright protected
     work, or other property of third parties.

[D] The level must prominently identify at least in every online description
     and with reasonable duration on an opening screen
     (1) the name and email address of the level's creators, and
     (2) the words "THIS LEVEL IS NOT MADE BY OR SUPPORTED BY 3D REALMS".

[E] The level and any use of it must be offered solely for free (other than
     any incidental online charges).

[F] By distributing or permitting the distribution of any New Level, all
     owners of any trademark, copyright or other right, title or interest
     therein (to the extent different from the Game as originally distributed
     by 3D Realms) grant back to 3D Realms an irrevocable royalty free right
     to distribute the level.