Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lykos

About textures

Question

Hello guys, im making a wad and im looking for marmol textures, where can i found it? And what is better, put the new textures into the wad or just using the pk3 file and the last thing, Whacked is the correct program to change the textures right? 

5 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Lykos said:

Hello guys, im making a wad and im looking for marmol textures, where can i found it? And what is better, put the new textures into the wad or just using the pk3 file and the last thing, Whacked is the correct program to change the textures right? 

Textures:

I guess you mean marmor textures?

https://www.textures.com/category/marble/37494

https://unsplash.com/s/photos/marble-texture

Wad or PK3:

Essentially the PK3 support was/is intended for large projects to make maintenance easier. Personally, I have not used it in my projects yet. To see what I mean by large projects have a look at Enjay's Gene-Tech or Rex's mission pack Paranoid and Paranoiac.

Whacked:

No. Don't use that, use Slade3 for any adding/editing of lumps.

Edited by Kappes Buur

1 hour ago, Kappes Buur said:

Textures:

I guess you mean marmor textures?

https://www.textures.com/category/marble/37494

https://unsplash.com/s/photos/marble-texture

Wad or PK3:

Essentially the PK3 support was/is intended for large projects to make maintenance easier. Personally, I have not used it in my projects yet. To see what I mean by large projects have a look at Enjay's Gene-Tech or Rex's mission pack Paranoid and Paranoiac.

Whacked:

No. Don't use that, use Slade3 for any adding/editing of lumps.

Textures: Yes! i mean just that, thanks, so i can use the textures of that link? looks very real.

Thanks for info i appreciate it

13 hours ago, Lykos said:

Whacked is the correct program to change the textures right? 

Whacked is for editing the game's behavior by messing with the hardcoded state table, actor table, and string table. Textures are not hardcoded, though, so Whacked will not be of any help for them.

Doom textures are kinda low-res: walls tile vertically every 128 texels, and horizontally things tend to work in 64-texel or 128-texel lengths. GZDoom allows high-res textures, though.

WAD is Doom's native data format, limited to 8-character names, no hierarchic organizations (no folders) instead it's kinda faked by using marker entries (like S_START and S_END for example), and no compression. PK3 is used by ZDoom and a few other ports, it's basically zipped folders so it's more convenient for many things but you won't get it to load in more conservative ports. If you're specifically targeting GZDoom, you can forget about Whacked entirely, since what it allows to change can be changed instead much more simply with DECORATE or ZScript (actor changes), and LANGUAGE (string changes).

3 hours ago, Gez said:

Whacked is for editing the game's behavior by messing with the hardcoded state table, actor table, and string table. Textures are not hardcoded, though, so Whacked will not be of any help for them.

Doom textures are kinda low-res: walls tile vertically every 128 texels, and horizontally things tend to work in 64-texel or 128-texel lengths. GZDoom allows high-res textures, though.

WAD is Doom's native data format, limited to 8-character names, no hierarchic organizations (no folders) instead it's kinda faked by using marker entries (like S_START and S_END for example), and no compression. PK3 is used by ZDoom and a few other ports, it's basically zipped folders so it's more convenient for many things but you won't get it to load in more conservative ports. If you're specifically targeting GZDoom, you can forget about Whacked entirely, since what it allows to change can be changed instead much more simply with DECORATE or ZScript (actor changes), and LANGUAGE (string changes).

Okay, so if i want to make a wad with ZDoom compatibility, i can use PK3. But if i use Pr-Boom? 

And Whacked... what is that?