Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BluePineapple72

Metastasis - Prerelease Version 4 out now! [WORK IN PROGRESS]

Hey played the played your previous version,
This is a fun and cool looking level, i can't wait to play the finished product.
I really dig your cavernous style and the dynamic parts where the level changes before your eyes, its really really cool.

Just finished it, man. It's an incredible job, I must say. Really packed with detail and challenge. You're cruel, but fair. Managed to kill me a fair few times, but I feel you also taught me a fair amount about how to really navigate this map through your cruelty. Top notch stuff! I'd be more than happy to play it again when it's properly finished.

51 minutes ago, DRMman said:

It's good, better then anything i could make.

Hey man, don't put yourself down like that. A few months ago, all I could manage was to make a Startan box with a shotgun. Only after spending pretty much all of my freetime working with doom builder was I able to make this.

Don't give up man! Just remember that the more you work at it, the better your work gets.

Edit:

@Biodegradable

Thank you very much! I'm glad you enjoyed it, and I'm even more glad that you thought that I was cruel haha! Although, I am curious. Which parts did you think were the most cruel? Were there any that were too cruel? (and any that would be VERY cruel had you not found a certain secret I won't mention?)

You're very welcome, mate. I'd say the slowly rising poisoned blood platform arena trap was the stand out for me in terms of the most memorable moment of cruelty. I survived it though ;^) But no, nothing too cruel that I'd necessarily catergorise as unfair or straight-up bullshit. You have the makings of a great mapper, Mr Pineapple. Can't wait to see more

3 minutes ago, Biodegradable said:

You're very welcome, mate. I'd say the slowly rising poisoned blood platform arena trap was the stand out for me in terms of the most memorable moment of cruelty. I survived it though ;^) But no, nothing too cruel that I'd necessarily catergorise as unfair or straight-up bullshit. You have the makings of a great mapper, Mr Pineapple. Can't wait to see more

Ah! Thank you very much. That means a lot! :D

It's interesting you mentioned the blood elevator, as that was the area I was implying in my comment. As for that secret:

Spoiler

There is a way to spawn an invulnerability sphere into that arena. The way:

Spoiler

It is to the right of the plasma gun acquired after teleporting into the hallway that leads to the elevator. Backtrackers be warned though, you're weirdly unable to reenter the rising blood area. I'll have to find a fix for it. Later.

As you know, I've played Loathe Perfection, so I was expecting good things out of this - and I indeed got good things, nice work!

Like you said, it's clear when playing through that there are certain areas that are unfinished be it with texture errors or emptiness (tbh not sure why you didn't finish this up before posting it here but oh well), but the vast majority of the level looks complete and plays very well. I echo Biodegradable's point about the rising blood arena - cruel but very fun. In summary - I hope you finish this up and continue making more maps, because this was enjoyable stuff!

Video with more commentary below, complete with a !goodatdoom moment at 22:15 (the perils of using the mousewheel to change weapon and not paying attention! D: ). Hope it helps, it's only my second vid with commentary so hope the audio comes out okay.

1 hour ago, Horus said:

As you know, I've played Loathe Perfection, so I was expecting good things out of this - and I indeed got good things, nice work!

Like you said, it's clear when playing through that there are certain areas that are unfinished be it with texture errors or emptiness (tbh not sure why you didn't finish this up before posting it here but oh well), but the vast majority of the level looks complete and plays very well. I echo Biodegradable's point about the rising blood arena - cruel but very fun. In summary - I hope you finish this up and continue making more maps, because this was enjoyable stuff!

Video with more commentary below, complete with a !goodatdoom moment at 22:15 (the perils of using the mousewheel to change weapon and not paying attention! D: ). Hope it helps, it's only my second vid with commentary so hope the audio comes out okay.

5 minutes ago, happy_mac said:

Somehow I have SIGIL vibes by looking at it. Keep it up!

Thank you both very much!

@Horus As for you video, I really enjoyed it! Audio sounded damn near perfect if I do say so myself!

I agree with what you said about the chasm. I have been planning on retouching the chasm area (and adding an ambush cough cough). But with regards to the inescapable pit: there is a lowering platform in the first platforming area; the one made of ash at the start lowers (hopefully). In the second area, the first rock has a step up to it. I will definitely fine tune that area closely. 

Something funny that I noticed that both you and @Steve88 did is how both of y’all jumped to get the soul sphere, instead of going through the secret walkway. Aletheos warned me that this would happen and I didn’t listen, haha!

I just Played it. And its pretty damn good. I like the details you have put. I have a feeling this is gonna be big.

Work continues on my contribution to Metastasis...

Spoiler

...the underwater laboratories. What (the hell) was the UAC doing down here?

Spoiler

This looks sinister...

https://streamable.com/lau04f

Spoiler

Brrr... it's cold in here!

https://streamable.com/pgnveq

Spoiler

How do I get this thing open?

https://streamable.com/vfignx

Spoiler

Why is this in there?

https://streamable.com/qnsi77

I expect these areas will be connected, and at least one encounter will be finished(or, at least, functional), by the end of next week.

Edited by aletheos eberlain

@Horus
wow its exciting to hear your commentary!

I am used to quiet videos from you, I think the commentary adds a lot to the play through!

@BluePineapple72
The jumping thing can be fixed by disabling it in the final release if you care to do so.
Also RNJesus was taking the wheel in the elevator fight XD

Edited by Steve88

After some careful consideration, I’ve decided that I am going to axe the Wolfenstein area. Those that have played have mentioned their feelings of it being too detached from the map, and I agree. I dissatisfied with how the map turned out aesthetically and gameplay-ically. The plan was for it to be another dimension the player travels to, where that can see another hell growth. This theme was not done well enough I think. The massive I fight I scripted was also not noticed by many players, and it only made the room too shitty of a room to fight in. 

The current plan is now to salvage any geometry, if any, from that arena and transform it into a new arena more fitting to the map’s theme and story. 

Update prerelease 0.1 will be coming shortly. It will include minor updates to multiple areas (many Ive done i can’t remember); the addition of the right side of the hell caslte, previously unfinished; geometry tunings to the chasm area; the change to a teleporter so players don’t think it’s an exit; some scripting additions; and other minor tweaks to visuals, ammo, etc. The completion of the castle’s right side is currently my main goal, I won’t release the first update until that area is more or less completed. 

Thank you to everyone who has play tested this. Your feedback is invaluable!

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/post/2141514

There is an update screenshot in that link. I've spent a good bit improving the visuals in multiple areas, namely the first few rooms and the big bridge in hell. The hell castle is getting closer to completion. Wolfenstein is no more! I have replaced it with something new (and unfinished). I'll update the main file once either the right castle path is finished, or the replacement for Wolfenstein is finished.

Some of the visual changes are quite extensive, so within the coming days I'll post an imgur album containing the bulk of the work I've done recently.

First update posted. Check OP.

Although none of the areas I would have liked to finish are, this update mainly just contains massive visual overhauls and some other gameplay tweaks. It looked so nice I thought "Fuck it, let's post this thang!"

So, get it while it's hot! Let me know what changes you liked, and let me know what else needs changing. 

Thank you for the feedback!

https://imgur.com/a/bMBquMq

Update 2 is out now! Although relatively minor, there are some pretty cool changes and additions in store for you curious ones out there.

Want to see what was added?

Play the map! Or you could just read the patch notes and watch this video, whichever you prefer really.

As always, I took pictures of my vacation in Metastasis. If you prefer seeing the map in single frame format over a 40 minute 'stringing-together' of these pictures, then this link is for you! https://imgur.com/a/XaEt4uO?

If you don't mind seeing 40 minutes of multiple pictures per second with sound, then click this thing below:

Edited by BluePineapple72 : dum joke

No file for today, but I wanted to begin to share more images onto this thread since I'm getting closer to the final version (which is still a ways away)

This is copy pasted from the doom pictures thread:

I took it upon myself to redo and older area of Metastasis that I made back in april. The plan behind the renovation was to increase the play area (going up from 64 unit hallways) and to increase the detail level significantly. Original shots are in spoilers, they are fullbright becuase I chose to light them with light level.... 46

ROYsghR.png

Spoiler

Lg8o5vV.png

9eFst7r.png

Spoiler

FJNzEW7.png

XZgMBjL.png

rmoHUIW.png

Spoiler

3IGnde2.png

I8lVOrd.png

Spoiler

8oePGQa.png

Up next on my hitlist is to do some visual polish to this area's opposite (slime area with 2 mancubi), and redo the 'gore nest' area fight right above it. I think I will update the map file once that has been done

Remade the left blue key path a few weeks ago. Here are some shots:

0N5Xg5N.png

Spoiler

cS2XztR.png

EGxrjig.png

RCVjfPd.png

Spoiler

QpKXje7.png

S4RYy80.png

Spoiler

crI3jKf.png

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/RiXbkQU

Here is also a remake of a hell area I did:

2MsNTAW.png

Full album: https://imgur.com/a/inZt1mL

Progress of this WAD is being trakced more intimately on my discord, I'm also posting files there more frequently, be sure to check it out if you're interested! https://discord.gg/jDQahc6

Miscellaneous progress update:

uY8bsLG.png

K0df1zI.png

HJBN0lG.png

cmOL2yY.png

vJ1qXMk.png

4lO36zO.png

60MyrId.png

Dl7JJxM.png

eERssZe.png

QNutPHc.png

YNMVxDy.png

zYUEBci.png

HxaGUos.png

W6lZoJh.png

v3Ap2Dn.png

0VQIeHZ.png

Y5mtaJA.png

WXXsc6w.png

As for an update update. I'm shooting for a January release for this WAD. To speak on it shortly, I am unhappy with multiple areas of this map simple due to the fact that my mapping style/skill has evolved so much since I began working on this that the only thing I feel like doing is remaking/refurbishing old areas. I want to pump this map out so that I can begin work on something more indicative of my work; METASTASIS 2: DIGESTIVE BOOGALOO

Very impressive architecture, it feels almost like shame there are so few monsters in the map. I noticed two bugs during my playthrough:

-HOM at linedef 23744.

-Things 782 etc. are stuck in wall.

-And GZdoom 4.5.0 complains about some geometry issues:

Spoiler

Line 3306 has no first side.
Line 3307 has no first side.
Line 3308 has no first side.
Line 3309 has no first side.
Line 3310 has no first side.
Line 3311 has no first side.
Line 3312 has no first side.
Line 3313 has no first side.