Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JXC

Looking for cool Vanilla gameplay mods besides D4V

I am well aware of Batman Doom, Hacx, and REKKR, but I'm wondering if there are other vanilla Doom mods or wads that take advantage of DEH. Suggestions regarding MBF-compatible mods are also welcome.

I've done a few Dehacked mods/conversions over my time here.

Angled Doom - Bootleg Edition - Vanilla Doom weapons seen in a Duke3D-styled perspective. Also include a separate MBF-compatible gameplay mod that spiced up enemy behaviors a bit. Should run in Crispy Doom.

Half-Doomed - Half Life in Vanilla Doom. Complete with enemy behaviors and bad graphics (due to lack of public interest, I no longer update this but this should be pretty much playable; though setting this up in Choco Doom and DOS might be tricky.)

Dehacked Doom 64 - A pretty simple smooth Doom 64 weapons pack; with a standalone Dehacked file mimicking the original game's weapon/monster behaviors. Doom 64 for Doom 2 recommended, make sure you load it last though.

If you mean WADs that also feature new maps as well, check out anteres031's Struggle (full-blown 32-map megawad) and his recently-released compilation of his levels originated from community projects. He's also done most of the Dehacked work in Eviternity - which you might have played.

Strain, although have dated mechanics, is worth checking out if you like historical stuff.

While this is more like a graphical mod, fraggle's smooth weapons pack is worth checking out. It's 100% Vanilla-compatible; and you can record demos of Dehacked-free levels with it.

4 hours ago, JXC said:

Suggestions regarding MBF-compatible mods are also welcome.

For pure gameplay mod, I recommend Minicharge

MBF mapsets with some gameplay changes/custom monsters include Valiant and Eviternity

4 hours ago, Chainie said:

The Blessed Engine turns standard doom gameplay into something comlpetly different.

I couldn't find a way to run it on source ports. I only got an exe

6 minutes ago, JXC said:

I couldn't find a way to run it on source ports. I only got an exe

Its a DOS based executable that needs to be unpacked if my memory serves right.

Vanilla gameplay mods have never really been a thing, since DeHackEd is so limited that a generic gameplay mod will end up seeming very Doomish anyway. I am a little surprised no one has seriously tried to "demake" Brutal Doom into vanilla though.

On 5/29/2020 at 1:33 PM, Linguica said:

I am a little surprised no one has seriously tried to "demake" Brutal Doom into vanilla though.

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=62615

What about this?

Edit: Damn, didn't realize someone already posted the same link.

Edited by JXC