Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
fezzador

Can't run PrBoom/GlBoom

I just downloaded PrBoom/GlBoom the other day (mainly because I was under the impression that wads like Silent Steel would look better than they would with say, GZDoom), but after trying to run the ports I've run across several issues.

First, it takes a long time to load.  I have to wait at least 30 seconds before I click or hit a key, otherwise the screen fades and says "not responding".  Secondly, if I'm trying to run a custom PWAD/PK3 file, it won't load and simply reverts to the main IWAD.  My laptop is older, but it runs GZDoom just fine.  Is it a setting I need to change?

I can attach a recording of what I'm doing if that helps.

2 hours ago, fezzador said:

I just downloaded PrBoom/GlBoom the other day (mainly because I was under the impression that wads like Silent Steel would look better than they would with say, GZDoom), but after trying to run the ports I've run across several issues.

I really wonder why you think GLBoom may make a wad like Silent Steel look better because its renderer is far less advanced than GZ's.

First, it takes a long time to load.  I have to wait at least 30 seconds before I click or hit a key, otherwise the screen fades and says "not responding". 

The not responding screen is from Windows. Does this also occur on a second go?

What else are you trying to load?

Secondly, if I'm trying to run a custom PWAD/PK3 file, it won't load and simply reverts to the main IWAD.  My laptop is older, but it runs GZDoom just fine.  Is it a setting I need to change?

You need to tell PrBoom/GLBoom what custom PWAD it needs to run. I recommend using a launcher for these kinds of things.

20 hours ago, fezzador said:

Silent Steel

From its topic:

"Silent Steel: Remastered edition is a revamp, restructured edition using the most advance capabilities of Ketmar's K8Vavoom engine."

I think I know the reason why it does not work well with PrBoom. It was not designed to work with it in the first place.

Prboom hasn't been updated for 15 years. The startup is slow probably because it tries to change the display resolution to something that is not your laptop's native/current resolution.

The latest prboom-plus (Graf Zahl's UMAPINFO fork) supports the "fullscreen desktop" mode, which scales the resolution you specify under Options/General (or manually in prboom-plus.cfg) to your current desktop resolution. That translates into a much faster startup.

Even the latest prboom-plus doesn't support anything other than vanilla, limit-removing, Boom and MBF WADs. It won't load PK3s or mods that target ZDoom or other advanced ports.