Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
taufan99

The Thread of the Dead (HotD thread)

Let me know of what you think.

(EDIT: Prior to July 26, this was a thread about only GmanLives' video on the series. Now you can talk about anything HotD-related.)

Edited by InDOOMnesia : Changed thread desc

omg i remember playing the first one on a cd that had several game demos on win xp years ago, never thought I'd see it again, such a throwback, thanks for this.

I love the HotD games (most on-rails shooters, actually).  I even enjoy the second movie.  I so wish SEGA had ported or remade the first game for the Wii and made the HotD 2 and 3 disc a trilogy.  I don't think there's an easy way to play the first game without some jank or other these days.  Such a shame.  It makes me wish some crazy person like Doomero would come along and remake at least the first two games in the Doom engine!

28 minutes ago, Average said:

I so wish SEGA had ported or remade the first game for the Wii and made the HotD 2 and 3 disc a trilogy

The first two games will be remade by a Polish studio with Unreal Engine (IIRC it's UE4).

On 6/3/2020 at 4:14 AM, Average said:

It makes me wish some crazy person like Doomero would come along and remake at least the first two games in the Doom engine!

I've always had a vision of a HotD-based GZDoom mod that turns the game into a rail shooter. Although, since I know nothing about GZDoom modding (not anymore after my old-ass mod with R667 resources), that remains inside my head.

Oh man, the memories of going to my local bowling alley and playing HOTD2 on "Dante mode" (two guns).

Yeah I played my fair share of the first 3 titles as a teen. This brought back good memories. Yes the voice acting was brilliantly bad.

I got the HotD 1 for Saturn and HotD 2 Dreamcast with two guns each, though my DC ones are shitty 3rd party ones, because Sega wouldn't release theirs in the US.   I also got two spinoffs for DC: Typing of the Dead and Zombie Revenge.    Unfortunately on Saturn I think if both guns are shot at the exact same time, only one registers.

Typing of the Dead is pretty silly as the good guys have Dreamcasts strapped to their backs and have a keyboard in front of them.   It has you type stuff like my parents said video games are a waste of time but now I'm a CEO and I drive a Ferrari.    Zombie Revenge is a 3D street brawler but suffers from a serious flaw of constantly tight time limits.   Imagine a fighting game where you always have a time limit like Doom Eternal's secret encounters.   It's like that.   Maybe I can find a secret option or use a codebreaker code to disable or extend that.

Doom Eternal actually reminded me of HotD how you blow chunks of flesh off enemies.   In Doom 2016, they just get bloodier until you kill them.   In HotD though, you can blow off a limb in mid swing and the zombie just swings a short stump and misses.

That HotD 4 looks like a real pile of garbage though, and they toned down the violence like pansies, having the enemies just fade out.

10 hours ago, Gokuma said:

I got the HotD 1 for Saturn and HotD 2 Dreamcast with two guns each, though my DC ones are shitty 3rd party ones, because Sega wouldn't release theirs in the US.   I also got two spinoffs for DC: Typing of the Dead and Zombie Revenge.    Unfortunately on Saturn I think if both guns are shot at the exact same time, only one registers.

Typing of the Dead is pretty silly as the good guys have Dreamcasts strapped to their backs and have a keyboard in front of them.   It has you type stuff like my parents said video games are a waste of time but now I'm a CEO and I drive a Ferrari.    Zombie Revenge is a 3D street brawler but suffers from a serious flaw of constantly tight time limits.   Imagine a fighting game where you always have a time limit like Doom Eternal's secret encounters.   It's like that.   Maybe I can find a secret option or use a codebreaker code to disable or extend that.

Doom Eternal actually reminded me of HotD how you blow chunks of flesh off enemies.   In Doom 2016, they just get bloodier until you kill them.   In HotD though, you can blow off a limb in mid swing and the zombie just swings a short stump and misses.

That HotD 4 looks like a real pile of garbage though, and they toned down the violence like pansies, having the enemies just fade out.

Huh, I don't really know if that's the case for the Saturn port. Then again, most gameplay vids I've seen are single-player.

Zombie Revenge would've been perfect if its exploration was, um, explored and utilized more. Then again, it's initially an arcade game, though Sega should've shelved away those time limits for the Dreamcast port. Also, did you know that Typing of the Dead has a sequel for PC based on HotD 3 and English of the Dead for Nintendo DS based on HotD 2 too (both only in Japan)? There's also Typing of the Dead Overkill for PC, where you can also change the setting to play the game in classic rail-shooter way.

If HotD 4 and Scarlet Dawn's lack of extensive gore bothers you, try House of the Dead: Overkill for Wii (later ported to PS3 and XB360 with 2 new episodes and dubbed Extended Cut, which Typing of the Dead Overkill is also based on). Be wary that it's full of f-bombs as well, unlike all other HotD games. Nice to see G there, but I wish they made Overkill 2 with Thomas Rogan as well.

Edited by InDOOMnesia : Extended Cut, not Extensive Cut.

House of the Dead was actually the first ever video game I played and I've wanted to find it but I've forgot it's name, but thankfully I remember it now, such a throwback.

I know a bit about these games, but never got to play them. Virtua Cop 2 was the shit though ✌.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

I know a bit about these games, but never got to play them. Virtua Cop 2 was the shit though ✌.

VC2 + HotD 1 on PC is my childhood's perfect combo. Shame both games won't have any music if you don't have the CD/track files.

2 hours ago, Wneaf said:

House of the Dead was actually the first ever video game I played and I've wanted to find it but I've forgot it's name, but thankfully I remember it now, such a throwback.

Glad to be of some help.

Edited by InDOOMnesia

Okay, I'll revive this thread with just a single, dumb opinion.

Justice from 4 still scares me to this day.

EgregiousGuy makes HotD1 mods based on the Model 2 emulator. Check 'em out (more on his channel)!

Edited by InDOOMnesia

1 minute ago, LiT_gam3r said:

InDOOMnesia, are you GmanLives? 

I wish I was. :P