Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Roebloz

Minesweeper 32x: An Upcoming ROM Hack.....

Recently I played Eternal Doom (No not Doom Eternal, Eternal Doom, the WAD) and I really enjoyed the minesweeper bonus level. I realised something. I wanted more of it. More minesweeper in Doom. So I booted up Doom Builder 2, and wondered..."I could just make a PWAD that will probably get lost quickly, or make a ROM Hack for one of the ports that barely ever gets modified. Or both." So coming soon, on both The Ultimate Doom and Doom for the 32x, is Doom: Minesweeper Madness! The WAD (or hack) will be pretty simple: Its minesweeper. Flip all the correct switches to open all the doors at the back of the room, which will lead to the exit. Flip a switch with a mine, and the walls will lower to reveal cacodemons who will smite you in a couple of moments.

My plan is to have two campaigns; The first version will feature 8 levels with a 6 x 6 grid, another 7 with a 9 x 9 grid, one with a 13 x 13 grid, and if you played through in the rules (Without cheats or the level select) you will get access to the mystery, climatic finale. I will also release the WAD for PC, but since this is mainly a 32x Hack I am still posting here.

Now here is a preview:

See you soon for Minesweeper Doom.

This is the kind of hack that i like to see. Not just a hack to add new monsters from other versions in, but hacks that transform the Doom gameplay to something entirely different and essentially turning it into a new game.

Very cool.

I also decided that instead of just being the same thing over and over again, I would add a little bit of gameplay differences occasionally. This idea will be exploited in what I call a Mine Fight; A few enemies will be standing in front of you and you will have to defeat them by playing Minesweeper in a special way; Unlike the regular levels where detonating a mine causes you an automatic death by a swarm of cacodemons, in boss fights mines will only unleash one Cacodemon and won't reveal other mines or anything like that. Now how do you beat the enemies in question? Well you can always ignore everything and just punch them over and over, but if you DO want to try the Roebloz way, you will have to play this variation of Minesweeper. Basically every pillar that isnt a mine will contain ammo for a weapon you have collected prior to entering the room (Or find it in one of said pillars). The challenge will be both to avoid the Boss's attacks while picking up the ammo, but also avoid mines as an added Cacodemon won't help you much (Except if it decides to infight with other demons) Here is a small preview of what the Baron fight will look like (I'm still balancing things out, dont worry)

QUICK EDIT: UPLOADED THE WRONG VIDEO GOD DAMN IT HANG ON

Log 2020-06-02: Maps 1-9 (Along with Map 23 and 24) are done, I should be able to do Maps 10-14 today. Release coming soon!

Devlog 2020-06-04: Only 5 more maps to make and it will be ready for release! I will release it for PC shortly after (Requiring Doom 2 however) and if you guys like it a lot I might make a sequel.

On 5/31/2020 at 11:43 AM, Redneckerz said:

This is the kind of hack that i like to see. Not just a hack to add new monsters from other versions in, but hacks that transform the Doom gameplay to something entirely different and essentially turning it into a new game.

I would be surprised with any hack like you described, but 32X hacking is pretty limited. Having new monsters or weapons on console Doom would be amazing as well.

6 minutes ago, Dimon12321 said:

I would be surprised with any hack like you described, but 32X hacking is pretty limited. Having new monsters or weapons on console Doom would be amazing as well.

If I'm not wrong someone did make a DEHACKED patcher for 32x so maybe its possible? And yes, 32x hacking is pretty limited, although having limits meaning you gotta be even more creative and you come out with good ideas such as a Minesweeper for 32x.

1 hour ago, Roebloz said:

If I'm not wrong someone did make a DEHACKED patcher for 32x so maybe its possible? And yes, 32x hacking is pretty limited, although having limits meaning you gotta be even more creative and you come out with good ideas such as a Minesweeper for 32x.

This is true. There is a limited DeHacked patcher available.

By the way, can you provide a gameplay screenshot of this? I want to write this up at Realm667. :)

16 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

This is true. There is a limited DeHacked patcher available.

By the way, can you provide a gameplay screenshot of this? I want to write this up at Realm667. :)

Of the Minesweeper 32x gameplay? Sure I can probably do that for you. Just what do you need exactly

9 minutes ago, Roebloz said:

Of the Minesweeper 32x gameplay? Sure I can probably do that for you. Just what do you need exactly

Just a random gameplay screenshot showing off a level, nothing fancy. :)

Just now, Redneckerz said:

Just a random gameplay screenshot showing off a level, nothing fancy. :)

Well I already posted some videos but sure let me do it

I almost lost all the hi-quality texture replacements I had made for the PC, thank god for a backup!

8 hours ago, LiT_gam3r said:

they better release this on Bethesda's Console Port!

I doubt they would but hey you never know!