• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Gokuma

How to play Doom Eternal like it's Contra

14 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Up up down down left right left right B A

Hmmm, does it work in the game?? 

I'll tell you a little story about that Contra's cheat code... Once someone was asking people to guess which game this cheat code did appear and I answered it is used in Snes Mortal Kombat 3 to unlock Smoke... 

How fool I was that time, I forgot it completely that I used it many times to play Contra. 

I haven't tried extra life mode and or any of the "cheat codes" yet.   I just replayed easier missions and racked up that many lives.   It's also a good way to quickly and easily do weapon/weekly challenges.  Some funny stuff, once I beat Contra on my actual NES without dying.   I used the code so I had 39 guys at the end from my score racking up extra lives.   I was using the NES Max gamepad so I had turbo buttons.

Here's a question:  Any one got the Phobos skin from Extra Life Mode?   Did you have to play the whole compaign in that mode or just complete a mission with so many extra lives?

4 hours ago, Gokuma said:

Here's a question:  Any one got the Phobos skin from Extra Life Mode?   Did you have to play the whole compaign in that mode or just complete a mission with so many extra lives?

Complete the entire campaign on Extra Life Mode. Playing on ITYTD works fine as well. I believe there's about 54 Extra Lives across the entire campaign (+ the 3 you start with). Keep in mind that in this mode you can't return to missions after finishing them, meaning you can't farm Extra Lives.

Thanks.   I checked videos of the skin and I see people complaining they should have used the classic Doomguy as a base instead of the new Praetor suit.   It unfortunately just doesn't look like Phobos and is gold instead of orange.  I think it looks better than the solid gold skin for beating Ultra Nightmare though.   However, I like the bronze skin from the current "precious metals" event more.  If we're going with the new praetor look I think it looks more like Phobos and actually has some orange detail.   Ever since maybe when I was teenager and learned gold is such a soft metal, I've thought it's dumb when RPG's has gold weapons and armor, and I'm totally not about the materialistic bling look.

During this ongoing event I'm just going to do the challenges which probably change to the next week's tomorrow.   Maybe next event I'll attempt an extra life playthrough on the easiest skill so I don't go insane although that skill will probably be kinda boring, so the XP goes towards some other stuff.   I really want to install Quake 3 Arena on this comp and play some with Crash and Phobos now.   Had the Dreamcast version forever (which is four player splitscreen) but just got the PC version recently.

EDIT:

Phobos in Quake 3 Arena:

quake3phobos.jpg.dc926593a88d2250ff3aaa70955bc860.jpg

vs Doom Eternal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1pUFUs4c8w

Edited by Gokuma

On 6/1/2020 at 2:33 AM, AtimZarr1 said:

Keep in mind that in this mode you can't return to missions after finishing them, meaning you can't farm Extra Lives.

This also means you have to complete all challenges during the first run. On Taras Nabad the Slayer Key challenge is hard because it includes an Archvile. I found out it's easier to do this challenge after retrieving the Crucible by fast traveling back.

I'm currently playing UV on Extra Lives mode and was, um, "surprised" to learn I could no longer use Mission Select to return to early levels and farm extra lives.  Still going strong so far, though (but admittedly with little chance of actually finishing the game).  

2 hours ago, Sitting on a cornflake said:

I'm currently playing UV on Extra Lives mode and was, um, "surprised" to learn I could no longer use Mission Select to return to early levels and farm extra lives.  

Shit. This means I have to 100% everything first try. Why couldn't they just remove the extra lives when revisiting levels?