Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AmenTheRock

New Doom Speedrunner

Hello, its been a few days since I joined here, I was interested in speedrunning but I don't know where to begin from, can you guys show me the way or give me some tips? (also if helpful, can you show me the "ironman" contest forum post ?)

Thanks a lot!

I recommend you go to the speedrunning discord: https://discord.gg/ghWqUYu

People will be able to give you pointers quickly. As for Ironman, those threads happen in the WADs & Mods forum, just gotta browse the topics a bit.

This may be a bit random, but I think starting a new thread would be unnecessary. I'm also interested in speedrunning and have been using my COVID-19 layoff to git gud.

Are quick turns frowned upon in the speedrunning community? I use them quite frequently in PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4-k, but I don't see any prominent runners using them.

My observation was the opposite, prominent player(s) (I can think about one ATM) do quick turns, it might be frowned upon occasionally, but they just don't care. Interesting question.

you mean to hotkey the auto 180 turn or what? I seldomly use it (very rarely actually...)

are there other "quick turns" in the setting?

7 hours ago, blob1024 said:

you mean to hotkey the auto 180 turn or what?

That's the one I'm talking about! My wording was a little strange, I guess. I have mine assigned to the space bar.

Spoiler

image.png.70db3148cd903cbf0fe0b88a2f3e5a14.png

I don't think 180 turn got frowned upon? I don't know. The thing is that, it's uncommon for it to be beneficial, maybe I'm just not good enough to realize its usefulness.

There's nothing wrong with 180-degree turns, if all you care about is the speed (and the numbers in DSDA's tables). Such demos look as ugly as built ones, though, and the disorienting effect is quite annoying. I wouldn't use it in longer runs, e.g. UV Maxes.