Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
spineapple tea

(oddly specific topic) Textures you never realized were being used

Heh. I remember making that exact same discovery. It really opened up the flat palette for E1-style levels. Probably chosen solely for its color, I guess you could interpret it as a slimy texture instead of marble in E1.

A lot of the “base” flats are used in E3, too. Some of that is obviously how loose Sandy played with the hell theme, but some of them really do fit in, too, and definitely broaden the visual variety beyond green marble/red/wood/rock/guts.

46 minutes ago, Dragonsbrethren said:

Heh. I remember making that exact same discovery. It really opened up the flat palette for E1-style levels. Probably chosen solely for its color, I guess you could interpret it as a slimy texture instead of marble in E1.

A lot of the “base” flats are used in E3, too. Some of that is obviously how loose Sandy played with the hell theme, but some of them really do fit in, too, and definitely broaden the visual variety beyond green marble/red/wood/rock/guts.

Exactly my thoughts on E3, look at the E3M3, E3M4 and E3M5 flat /texture scheme, lots of gray and some tech here and there, that gives the maps some sort of surreal feeling conbined with the marble /gut stuff

I never noticed until my fourth playthrough of E1M8 that the portal you step on is an Icon of Sin. 

spooky.

E3M3 has water on the ceiling in one room also it kinda looks techbasey in some areas of the map even though its the hell episode

At some point in development, E3M3 was (near) totally repurposed and retextured from being a base level.

From https://doomwiki.org/wiki/Doom_v0.4

Level 9: Ultimately became E3M3 (Pandemonium). At this point in development the level has no Hell textures. This map is based on the concept for the ground floor of the Control Center/Power Plant area in the Doom Bible, as a sign on the left side says LAB, while the right side, with a sign pointing to WH1 (Warehouse One), leads to a dilapidated area. The two holes in the wall on the left and right sides of the stairs appear to be guard posts, as they have large red hands under them. Was to be the hub of the monorail transportation system, with the left corridor leading to the Laboratory map and the right corridor ultimately leading to the Warehouse map.

Happened to me recently with E1M2 Nuclear Plant. Walked into this room as usual and noticed FLAT10 being used as a ceiling texture which I found odd as it is the only instance of it being used as a ceiling texture in E1 in general. It does appear in both E1M6 and E1M7 as a floor for the secret power-up altars and finally in E1M8 for the entire outdoor area. 

Oh wait, it does make an appearance as the cage ceiling in E1M9, silly me.

Screenshot_Doom_20200531_215324.png

When I designed the datapad for Marshmallow Doom, it felt like Doom was a pile of Legos and I had to build something new using only those pieces.

Datapad.png.43eba4bff4db237e33cf2b1cf0fcb773.png

Can anyone guess what texture the datapad buttons are?  (To me, they look like Pez candy...)

2 minutes ago, Uni said:

They look like part of EXITSIGN. 

You got it... I guess it wasn't such a challenging question given that most people here know the game inside and out.

Also what are you using to get that "Doomgirl" in your status bar?

doom663.png

Strangely, I always thought that the location of the cyberdemon in map 10 of Doom 2 was an outside area. I recently replayed Doom 2 and realized that there's a big blue texture.

Looking at the screen, I feel like I'm seeing a starless night sky. That wouldn't make any sense because you can see the sky in map 10.

15 hours ago, Roofi said:

doom663.png

Strangely, I always thought that the location of the cyberdemon in map 10 of Doom 2 was an outside area. I recently replayed Doom 2 and realized that there's a big blue texture.

Looking at the screen, I feel like I'm seeing a starless night sky. That wouldn't make any sense because you can see the sky in map 10.

Map10 is in fact an alpha map for the first doom which was retextured to a certain degree, but odd things like that ceiling flat and other "tom-hallisms" still can be seen.

Guest Unregistered account
On 5/31/2020 at 11:53 PM, Roofi said:

doom663.png

I used to get the same sensation from areas with dark ceilings, like the four pillar room in E2M2 and all of the Chasm.