Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lobo

Co-op and BFGs

MaTT [TiK] said:

Cummon, does that ever actually happen? You can only get hit more than a couple of times in a row if you dive straight towards the BFG ball, or you don't understand the second shot properly, so you think you're standing out of the blast when you stand behind a player that's fired and turned round.

It happens quite often when your on a packed server and everyone but you is using it every chance they get.

Dont get me wrong. I dont think the BFG should be banned at all, but I can understand why some people may feel that way.

I almost never use the BFG in the first place. The only map I use the BFG in is Doom II MAP01, and only because it's such a silly map for DM, and I can ground-shoot with the BFG to do a sort of insta-gib on anyone in front of me, without waiting for it to hit a wall.

This is a VERY cheap trick, and rest assured I don't do it on any map but MAP01 (unless my friends and I decided that the match isn't going to be a very serious one, in which case we also do things like rocket kamikaze, low gravity, or turbo 255).

Assmaster said:

It happens quite often when your on a packed server and everyone but you is using it every chance they get.

Oh yeah, I suppose. That must be annoying.

To be honest, I used to hate the BFG. But when I read the BFG FAQ I decided I liked it. I dunno the URL, but someone post a link so the BFG-haters can read it.

...I can ground-shoot with the BFG to do a sort of insta-gib on anyone in front of me... This is a VERY cheap trick....

No it's not, if the server allows MLOOK and someone start crying cuz your firing BFG/Rockets into the floor around them they need to either play on another server or start doing the same. :-)

For all the BFG controversy it comes down to a simple decision: play on a server that has the BFG or that has in nulled. In Legacy DM the BFG can really get cheap as players can use it to kill you right through a 3D floor. THAT'S cheap. Sure if the gravs low you can jump over the ball and SSG the enemy into oblivion, but sometimes you get people that just spam the BFG into walls and floors nowhere near you and you still take a big hit. Personally I don't see the skill in a weapon that doesn't even have to hit your opponent to kill them. :-p

I also understand that if I don't want to play in the level with the BFG there's lots out there or I can just start my own damn server. :-)

So how does everyone feel about MLOOK?

Mouselook is crap. If I'm not mistaken it's broken on zdaemon at the moment (even if you set it weapons fire sraight no matter where you look.)

I've evolved into an mlook user.

I started as a keyboarder and realized that I was doing pretty bad in deathmatch games, so taught myself the mouse. It took me a long time to get used to it, but I loved it eventually, and became a much better DMer. Although I still had some disadvantages. If you watch my demo of E4M2 (check the URL in my sig), you'll see me almost killing myself when the autoaim takes control of my rockets. That was one of the things that always bothered me. I don't WANT to shoot at the goddamn demons!

Anyway, I eventually decided to move to mlook with autoaim off. This enabled me to shoot at what I wanted to. This took longer to learn because I kept shooting over or under enemies and wasting ammo. In the end, it benefits because you quit blowing yourself up, and you evolve a better sense of aim. I can pretty easily switch back to no mlook, autoaim, and have a VERY good aim. ;)

I hate freelook... I will never use it, only if it is some sp wad, where I need to use it... and it is the same with jumping.
Seening some one jump on the platform to get the plasmagun in dwango5 map01 is so gay...

Torn said:

I hate freelook... I will never use it, only if it is some sp wad, where I need to use it... and it is the same with jumping.
Seening some one jump on the platform to get the plasmagun in dwango5 map01 is so gay...

well said, i completely agree

Think the BFG is annoying? Try to play on a map based on a crate warehouse of 1024x1024 size and 4 players. The corridors are about 64 wide and perfectly built on a 64x64 grid snapping and you don't know where the SSG is, and all of your opponent's do! When they start roaming arround the map randomly after getting it, you get beat up so bad, you just keep pressing "respawn" with a few seconds interval...
Hell... let's ban the SSG too because of that!! the BFG is there, isn't it? Live with it! Learn how to use and defend yourself from it!

"You sleep with BFG you communist American"

*sniff* I miss being called a communist American, especially when I don't even live in that continent at all.

Let us start spaming about plasma, no wait. Instead let us make a clan and call it APC, You know what it stands for. :P

1. Possibly because the dude that creates the server doesn't want some jackass coming onto the server and killing off the buddies all the time (i recall going on a legacy server once and someone kept shooting me into the pool of acid around the starting pillar in aztec plutonia). I will admit it would be nice to see more co-op servers out there and even nicer to see more people playing online.
2. Considering that you only get 2 or 3 shots (haven't played deathmatch for ages so i forgot) i say the bfg is fair enough. I agree that by saying no bfg is like saying no RL or SSG; it's stupid (which is why i use the bfg more often these days. If someone don't like a winner with a bfg then they can sod off).

1. For my opinion, coop is something better played on a private server with some good friends.

2. BFG is something you use for the big dudes if you dont want to waste time on them. 3 to 4 hits with it on a cyb will do the job. But for the spider i prefer the plasma because when she is in pain she cannot fire ;) Just stand in front of her and hold down fire. Approx 300 rounds later she should be death.

@torn:
I love to use freelook.
Having a rocketlauncher and aiming on the spot before my enemy and he WILL get damage even if he tries to evade ;)
And Jumping let you use the old maps more strategicaly. Play with 4 persons and "snipe" around a bit with a SSG, changing pos after every frag and your preys will go insane ^.^ Thats where the fun starts for me. Not to win but to see my enemys go mad ;)
And the matter with being gay.... something versus it?
When yes PM me and you can have my phonenummber and you can tell it to me live ;)

My Settings: Autoaiming off; freelook on
jumping on

Bastet Furry said:

My Settings: Autoaiming off; freelook on
jumping on

Hmm, OK... and I thought this was a DOOM forum.

But I did hear someone comipled some weird engine mod that allows those quakish settings. Is that true?

if i understand correctly, you are talking about coop and bfgs, and geting hit by a giant green plasma ball that likes to kill. imagine that with 8 players in zdoom, my project doom it together, allows just that in the original doom 2 levels (coming soon) the size of it is about 3mb so im gonna shrik it some before i upload, but look here for it:
http://doom.terrestrialblasphemy.org/
if i get some help with the recorces page, i might consider uploading it before i shrink it, and upload a new version later.