Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TheExemplar

I do a deep dive into the hell that is the 1995 Doom book [explicit language]

Posted (edited)

So I found this forum while looking for like-minded individuals to discuss the first Doom book that I'm doing a light-hearted deep dive on. I'd like any feedback but I mostly hope you enjoy listening in as much as I am reading it.

Here is the video!

Thanks

- The Exemplar

Edit: made link a hyperlink

Edited by TheExemplar

Hey everyone, didn't want to spam the forum but I have since covered chapter 1 and 2.

If you're interested, here is a link to the video covering chapter 1.

Hope everyone is keeping well!

- The Exemplar

Yo! Just watched all the episodes, absolutely awesome - I had this book in my teens and hearing you describe it is some serious nostalgia, I remember asking myself a lot of the same questions you asked.  

By far the best part of the book is that it describes the O.G. Doom levels pretty accurately - most of the levels in the first two episodes, a few of the third - I'm sure you'll appreciate that level of detail, but man, there's some weird shit in this book.  I'm pretty sure there definitely are no more references to Weems as Beelzebub, but as for his ultimate fate, no spoilers but... it's weird.  Trust me.  If you're gonna do each chapter with this amount of detail and analysis, this is gonna be epic.

My only criticism is the music you play while you are narrating.  Kick that shit out.  I recommend the Doom soundtrack.

I salute your endeavor sir, and eagerly await your next episodes. 

Cheers

Now I wanna read the Doom novels, tho, I think they are quite rare now a days, but maybe still possible to be found. One thing I reaaaaally want to read is Masters of Doom. Theres a spanish version signed by Romero itself, hopefully someday I can have it.

Interesting. I passed up on buying a couple of the doom novels when I saw them for cheap at a thrift store last year. Kinda wish I had bought them.

On 6/18/2020 at 10:05 AM, Maximum Matt said:

My only criticism is the music you play while you are narrating.  Kick that shit out.  I recommend the Doom soundtrack.

I salute your endeavor sir, and eagerly await your next episodes. 

Cheers

Hey man!

Really appreciate all your feedback and kind words, it has been a very positive motivator having an unrelated 3rd party validate what I'm trying here in a way, so thank you for that.

On the point of the music, I've uploaded the most recent episode (over an hour long, hence the wait), and I'm trying to remove the music completely for now and see if it works going forward. I don't want to use any copyrighted material for the videos, so I've been making my own music and stuff for it.

I actually cut a big portion out of the most recent episode of me discussing the geometry of the "levels" in the book so far, but I cut it for pacing reasons. It IS already over an hour long.

Either way thanks to you and others for the comments!