Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
seed

What are some good Wolf3D mods?

Essentially the title (not too sure if I should've made this topic here though). Been making a few similar threads over the last couple of months, but anyway:

After DBP21 I actually got a bit curious about Wolf3D mods - and also if there's other similar wads, frankly, I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as ended up doing. Wolf3D is a game I tried to finish myself many times over the years, but its complete lack of height variation, bright colors, and long corridors make me feel motion sick after a while, so I'm having difficulty playing it in general, especially for extended periods of time.

That being said, I'm still curious about what are some of the best mapsets/mods made for it, to check 'em out in the future. What do you recommend? I'd prefer them be ECWolf/LZWolf compatible.

i'm currently making an episode 1 replacement called "Attack on CB Headquarters", it was also featured in my old mod.

38 minutes ago, seed said:

Wolf3D is a game I tried to finish myself many times over the years

I can relate. Wolf3D is game that I find quite "charming" and yet I never managed to even complete Episode 1 of it mostly due to the samey long corridors. Although I do plan to play it one day.

One of the mods that I found quite good feeling was Coffee Break.

Also, this thread should probably be in "Everything Else".

I have a list of some rather excellent stuff but im away from PC atm.

Look up anything from Team Raycast and Absence SDL.

Wolf-Skevos Jones and Majik Monkee have made a lot of classic mods, most of which need to be played in DOSBox but they're worth it. There's also the excellent Project Totengraber by BJ Rowan and Spear Resurrection + End of Destiny by AReyeP & MCS. There is much more than I've listed but these are the ones that immediately come to mind.

I'm sure many of the best WolfenWADs (made up word) are found in DooM WADs. they can replace all the demons with Wolfenemies (another made up word). WolfenDOOM was cool,  and I'm sure there are many more out there. the only Wolfenstein Mod I can think of is @cambreaKer's M Invasion, but it's unreleased. although some digging around online could help. I found this website.

Castle Totenkopf SDL is a classic mod.

Edited by Artman2004 : Needed to specify which version.

Most of AReyeP's Wolf3d work was pretty top notch way back when

Can't personally vouch for the newish SDL re-release, but the DOS version of Spear: Resurrection was definitely worth a look.

*Edit - someone already mentioned this one, oops. Seconding then.

Macenstein SDL was a pretty faithful recreation of the Macintosh version of Wolf3D, which I'd also recommend.

Edited by Smouths

I used to like the Mutantstein maps, mostly because of the weaker Curly mutant.

shameless self promotion i guess, but the wolf3d mod called Chemical Warfare i released in 2002 just had an SDL re-release last year that a couple members of that community did. i was pretty young when it made it and there's some usual "too many guards/too high difficulty" problems but it's also pretty varied and i think a lot of it holds up anyway: http://wolf3d.net/news/chemical-warfare-wolf4sdl/

Edited by ella guro

Spear: Resurrection and End of Destiny are excellent, as people have already mentioned. The other really high-profile series is Operation Eisenfaust: Origins and Operation Eisenfaust: Legacy. Orb of Dilaaria is a really charming and fun TC if you can get through the frustrating melee-only first map -- it's basically like if Heretic had been made in the Wolf3D engine instead of the Doom engine. Coming of the Storm is also excellent.

My brain: Alright. Episode 1 done. We've tested your favourite childhood game. It was boring but good experience. Let's play something more interesting.

My inner child: No. We must see hitler and kill him!

Brain: Two more episodes of boredom?! I can't handle it!

Inner child: We've killed hitler! Now, we can't just leave a game in the middle. The Nocturnal missions are waiting for us!

Brain: ...

14 hours ago, ella guro said:

shameless self promotion i guess, but the wolf3d mod called Chemical Warfare i released in 2002 just had an SDL re-release last year that a couple members of that community did. i was pretty young when it made it and there's some usual "too many guards/too high difficulty" problems but it's also pretty varied and i think a lot of it holds up anyway: http://wolf3d.net/news/chemical-warfare-wolf4sdl/

One of the very first add-ons I've played, I really liked it!

13 hours ago, Chris Chokan said:

CHOKSTER’S SUPER CHOKAGE

Hey Chris, good to see you here! This one's basically what The Sky May Be would be if it were a Wolfenstein 3D add-on.

Some very good suggestions already, I'd add Revival of Memories and Deadly Sleep to the list but there's many, many more!

Do you want SDL ones? They don't require anything and you can run using the SDL .exe file itself?

For LZWolf, Operation: Nazi Slayer by Orka. This is the one got me to use LZWolf since I always go with SDL Mods.

5 minutes ago, GarrettChan said:

Do you want SDL ones? They don't require anything and you can run using the SDL .exe file itself?

For LZWolf, Operation: Nazi Slayer by Orka. This is the one got me to use LZWolf since I always go with SDL Mods.

SDL would be fine, I think? But not DOS ones honestly - sorry, but I am not fond of using DOSBox, at all.

Thanks for the recommendations so far everyone! I've checked out Coffee Break in the meantime, and I'm enjoying it. But I'm definitely not used to the game, oh man I got destroyed (died over 5 times) on the first map alone lol.

2 minutes ago, seed said:

SDL would be fine, I think? But not DOS ones honestly - sorry, but I am not fond of using DOSBox, at all.

You can compare SDL to Dos, like Crispy Doom to Dos. They have no lag like DosBox and it looks crispier (pun intended) than DosBox. I totally understand DosBox is a pain in the butt to play.

For SDL ones, you may try these:

Close to vanilla:

Spear Resurrection (SDL)

Spear Resurrection 2011 (SDL)

Vanilla-ish:

Spear of Destiny Extreme Eisenfaust Edition (If you don't mind, you can check out my videos for this one since I'm one of the testers)

Spear of Destiny 2 Extreme Eisenfaust Edition

Time to Kill Eisenfaust Edition

Not Vanilla:

Castle Totenkopf SDL

Eisenfaust: Origins

Eisenfaust: Legacy

22 hours ago, seed said:

Wolf3D is a game I tried to finish myself many times over the years, but its complete lack of height variation, bright colors, and long corridors make me feel motion sick after a while, so I'm having difficulty playing it in general, especially for extended periods of time. 

I've completed Wolf3D once, but only once... Doom outdid everything about it to the point that it feels like little more than a historical curiosity rather than a good game.

49 minutes ago, chungy said:

I've completed Wolf3D once, but only once... Doom outdid everything about it to the point that it feels like little more than a historical curiosity rather than a good game.

Eh, it's still good fun honestly. It's just that it gives me some trouble when playing.

24 minutes ago, seed said:

Eh, it's still good fun honestly. It's just that it gives me some trouble when playing.

Can I ask which difficulty are you playing on. On death incarnate, you really have to find push walls for ammo or you are gonna starve (atleast in vanilla Wolf3D).

@seed I forgot to get back to you. Here is my list of stuff:

Spoiler
  • The Fear Of Magic SDL (Heretic)
  • The Spear Of Longinus (MacWolf)
  • Operation Serpent (ECWolf)
  • Halls Of Stonehenge (SDL, Special Edition) Also DOS.
  • Lair Of The Mantis - Sadly this one is unreleased, but its easily the most polished TC.
  • Absence (also for DOS)
  • Klooni
  • Doom: Legions Of Hell
  • Doom: Legions Revisited
  • Medevil
  • Beyond The Grave - Very Bloodesque
  • Sonderkommando: Revolt
  • Unsung
  • Trench Warfare
  • Planet Nexion
  • Phantom: 2020 (LZWolf) - http://diehardwolfers.areyep.com/viewtopic.php?t=8399&highlight=discord
  • Federal Cases: Tara Carmichael
  • Operation Eisenfaust: Origins
  • Operation Eisenfaust: Legacy (Team Raycast)
  • Batman Vs Bane (Team Raycast) - Wolf4SDL
  • Batman: No Man’s Land (Team Raycast) - Wolf4SDL
  • Green Arrow (Team Raycast) - This one is just plain sick with its lighting and shading engine. Think NightMare Reaper.
  • Orb Of Dilaaria
  • Krucible: The Wasteland - The first one
  • Krucible: Insanitarium - The second one
  • Krucible - The last one
  • Prince of Persia TC (ECWolf)
  • Tristania 3D - EOD Engine, basically from Wolfenstein: End of Destiny. Weather effects, textured floors and ceilings.
  • Complex 7
  • Frayed
  • Helvete
  • Secret Of Eridu
  • To Heaven And Back
  • Spear Of Destiny: Reloaded
  • Brutal Death Dealer of Annihilation 3D
  • Castle Totenkopf SDL
  • Project: X  (Anniversary Edition) - By RichterBelmont, a more polished Absence like game, proper 90s, better looking than most, huge sprites
  • The Golden Parrot - Wolf4SDL, Pirate RPGish.
  • Project: X Insurrection - An even MORE polished Absence like sci-fi title, 66 levels!, it looks like a proper 90s game
  • Vectorstein

After watching a few videos of Operation Serpent, I gotta say that it looks amazing. Even I might try it out at some point.

30 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Can I ask which difficulty are you playing on. On death incarnate, you really have to find push walls for ammo or you are gonna starve (atleast in vanilla Wolf3D).

Bring 'em on. Naturally, I wouldn't dare go play mods for a game I've barely played in my life, so Death Incarnate is obviously a no-go. Not for mods anyway, base game no.

4 hours ago, Andromeda said:

One of the very first add-ons I've played, I really liked it!

thank you! it was years ago but glad some people still remember it.

i'm probably going to release a new Wolf 3D episode this year of older maps that i've had lying around mixed with new stuff, though dunno when i'll actually get myself to finish it.

21 hours ago, Not Jabba said:

The other really high-profile series is Operation Eisenfaust: Origins and Operation Eisenfaust: Legacy. Orb of Dilaaria is a really charming and fun TC if you can get through the frustrating melee-only first map -- it's basically like if Heretic had been made in the Wolf3D engine instead of the Doom engine.

OMG how could I forget repping Orb of Dilaaria? I had to make savegames to look at all 60 levels since a playthrough would only be 30 levels max, and while I know that wasn't the intended play style I really wanted to make sure I soaked in as much of the game as I could, since I wouldn't be going back to it for a long time. Easily one of the most well made TCs ever made.

I didn't play a lot of Legacy but I must've been in a bad mood at the time or something because I wasn't really vibing with it. I adore Origins however, even if it is way too long.

@ella guro Oh hey! You made Chemical Warfare? Wasn't that the 40 level game with a turquoise Doom rocket launcher? If so that really brought back memories. I'll have to play it again.

I also recommend a possibly underrated Spear-based game, The False Spear. I didn't get far in the original but the SDL version is like a remake and it's pretty sick.

2 hours ago, Lila Feuer said:

@ella guro Oh hey! You made Chemical Warfare? Wasn't that the 40 level game with a turquoise Doom rocket launcher? If so that really brought back memories. I'll have to play it again.

yes, that's the one.

On 5/31/2020 at 4:03 PM, seed said:

Essentially the title (not too sure if I should've made this topic here though). Been making a few similar threads over the last couple of months, but anyway:

After DBP21 I actually got a bit curious about Wolf3D mods - and also if there's other similar wads, frankly, I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as ended up doing. Wolf3D is a game I tried to finish myself many times over the years, but its complete lack of height variation, bright colors, and long corridors make me feel motion sick after a while, so I'm having difficulty playing it in general, especially for extended periods of time.

That being said, I'm still curious about what are some of the best mapsets/mods made for it, to check 'em out in the future. What do you recommend? I'd prefer them be ECWolf/LZWolf compatible.

http://dhw.wolfenstein3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=7891&highlight=classics