Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dobu gabu maru

The DWmegawad Club plays: 25 Years on Earth

MAP05: That's a rather underrated Zep's song. The first big level (I guess that ahead there will other larger adventures), and there's a big spike in the monster count though the low-tiers still will give you most of the action so the level flows fast. The room with the water that will raise and lower its level few times was my favourite part, followed by the horde of imps when you enter into the eastern building. Nice secrets too. A change of pace with something more substantial was needed.

MAP05 : not a fan, but knowing what I have to do makes it bearable.

I know where the secret is, but I can't run fast enough to reach it, so I ended the map without the RL.. And less than 100% kills. 

(don't worry, I start to enjoy the maps more from here on)

MAP05: Skyline (25 Years on Earth)

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, HNTR-PS, no saves, 100% everything

The largest level so far, but I still completed it in under ten minutes. The lack of a super shotgun from a pistol start isn't noticeable since most of the monsters are fodder, plus there's a secret rocket launcher that appears right when you start needing more powerful weaponry. As thus, it manages to remain fast paced for the most part with the only slower section being the water tunnels after the blue door. It doesn't spoil the level for me since I like the progression in that area despite the uninspired combat. What I liked the most was the moments after finding the secret rocket launcher, as the platform it's on doubles as the perfect spot to snipe the mancubi and the horde of imps found afterwards is easily dispatched by using the same weapon. Looks wise it retains the simple but polished aesthetic from the previous levels and I liked the vast city background visible from the area after the blue door. Solid level.

Levels in order of preference:

Spoiler

MAP04: Wasted Luxury

MAP05: Skyline

MAP02: Bunker Buster

MAP01: Drop Pod Excursion

MAP03: Urban Renewal

Fitting to have such a long song accompany the first longer level in the set. The map isn’t really that long, but it’s longer than any others up to this point, achieving the kind of length I tend to enjoy the most. The water puzzle might’ve tripped me up more than it did had I not played D2TWiD recently, as it has a similar puzzle at one point. The room with the mancubi was my least favorite part, constantly missing the jumps back to the upper platforms and the fatasses constantly getting in the way of the rising water in the middle. The exit area was very interestingly laid out, I liked it a lot. I also really liked the area with the yellow key, and the imp hoard that followed it. An RL would have been fun to have here, but SG and CG still enjoyably did the job.

100% kills, 1/1 secret

Welp, turns out getting the secret chaingun last map wasn't very important, since you're essentially gifted one right at the start here from an unobservant chaingunner. Ah well. I liked the start, but the rest is kind of a bland map in a way, just follow the linear pathway up and around, with pretty much everything in front of you. Almost missed the lone secret, not because I didn't see it, but because I didn't need 20 shells at the moment so I didn't walk over the box (came back for it at the end to top out on ammo). I don't play with infinite height but I can see the drop down near the end to the pinkies being a pain in the rear if you do.

MAP04: Wasted Luxury

100% kills, 0/1 secret

The 'turn out the lights' switch returns from Mars War... at least this one has switches to turn 'em back on. The theme here confused me a bit, obviously the first few areas are apartments, but I had no real clue what the areas behind the locked doors were supposed to be. Some of the Doomcute details are nice, but size felt a bit off on some (the blood bath is especially large). Didn't find the SSG secret, unfortunately... looking it up, pretty cleverly hidden.

100% kills, 1/1 secret

Lot more monster meat crammed into this one, maybe a bit too much as I was starting to get a little 'over' the map at the yellow door even though there was still about half the monster count to go. Just a bit too many enemies that aren't very threatening like pinkies and lost souls, and take longer to kill with the regular shotgun than their threat level demands. I did like the first mancubus trap (though why does the water magically not flow into the spot where the doors open?), and the blue key 'puzzle' was a nice bit that probably wouldn't've happened without the "use every action" rule. Having to use up a bunch of rockets on manc turrets after getting the RL was lame, but getting to let loose on the imp horde immediately after was fun.

glBoom+ 2.5.1.7um, skill 4, continuous with saves

A Presence track. Daring.

I love any kind of rooftop/skybase/outdoor level. These maps keep getting better. I hope some crappy maps come soon so I can quit looking like a stan.

I missed whatever the big secret was. Probably had a damn backpack in it. I'm doing savescummy fistfights to preserve the ammo i can carry.

Backpack backpack! 

I'm the backpack loaded up with shells and rockets, too!

(ok looking at other comments it was a rocket launcher. not as necessary to me, though would have been fun to grab)

Spoiler

MAP06

From Phobus's comments yesterday I was expecting this to be tiresomely puzzle-y, but it was actually pretty much in the sweet spot for me.  A little more cryptic than I might generally do myself, but not all that hard to suss out if you pay attention to the layout.  Heck, I even exited with 100% secrets.

It did sound like I failed to find at least one monster (or it failed to teleport) though.

6 hours ago, Magnusblitz said:

MAP04: Wasted Luxury

Didn't find the SSG secret, unfortunately... looking it up, pretty cleverly hidden.

I looked in the editor for it myself just now. Hell, I remember shooting that switch and then forgetting about it because I didn't see what it did. Never got that SSG.

MAP06: Destination Defenestration

Damn this was a good level. Wonderfully made cityscape, right up there with Going Down and (a less grindy) Hellbound. So many little details to make everything pop, like all the TVs and such. I found the secret Blue Armor, and getting there was a fun little trip. I like all the other puzzle aspects at play in the map too, like the raising platforms to get out of the first building, or the platforming to get across to the other side of the level. Also, finally a non-secret SSG! And with good cause, as the level also brings out arachnotrons and an AV at the end. Everything in this level was good to me.

MAP05: Skyline. Played in UV with Brutal Doom and LZDoom.

Did not like the blue key bridge. AT ALL. Besides that, the whole map is a lot more fun and a lil bit more harder. Nothing really extreme but quite simple and fun enough to offer some good time. The whole layout is much dynamic and more open in comparision to the other ''city'' maps. I couldn't find the one-single secret tho. Really liked the final area, after obtaining the yellow key. Overall, good map.

MAP06

Well I've now got to the first intermission screen on UV continuous without any deaths, but that's undoubtedly due to the wad's fairly benign nature so far, rather than to any radical improvements to my gaming skills. Also managed to get through this particular level unscathed from a pistol start, which once again is very feasible thanks to the early green armour (other mappers please take note), plentiful ammo and the first SSG in regular gameplay. I was completely stumped by that business with the rising pillars though, and can only assume it had something to do with obtaining the (presumably) secret blue armour. At least solving it wasn't mandatory...

Progression here is neat, although I only 'got' the 'defenestration' reference after finishing the map. I liked the combination of climbing the wall of the building and platforming to get to the second part of the map, ironically appropriate after being metaphorically 'driven up the wall' by the earlier puzzle. The combat is well balanced throughout, with the presence of more higher tier monsters counteracted by the availability of the SSG. The first AV of the wad is potentially lethal as usual, and it helps if you can eliminate him before he gets out into the open space of the courtyard.

EDIT: Well I finally got the blue armour after about 15 attempts to make that incredibly precise final jump. No bloody wonder people resort to 'savescumming' LOL. What still puzzles me (forgive the pun) is why the columns need to rise by more than one increment.

Edited by Summer Deep

MAP06 - Destination Defenestration

Really cool layout for this one where I feel like I'm penetrating some kind of guarded fortress. I think this is also the first communtiy-made level I've managed to 100% everything, so that's a personal best for me. Managed to walk away with 195 health and 200 armour. Yeah that's right, Phobus. I still live AND I figured out the secret and I curse you for the extensive use of First-Person-Platforming! I hate it! AAAAA! But yeah, another fun map. I feel like since Skyline, maps are only going to get more and more interesting and that excites me.

Crispy, UV, continuous.

MAP06: After being unable to figure out the SSG secret in MAP04 I'm glad one's just sitting there out in the open for me to pick up. I liked the use of the raising pillars in the SSG room and having to use them to climb and eventually drop out the window into the street. (It took me a moment to figure it out, but I should’ve paid more attention to the map name haha). I quite liked the architecture in the second half of the map, and having to traverse over the top of the crates and lamp posts to get into the final courtyard area was a nice touch. The AV at the end offered a bit of a sting in the tail, but nothing too crazy. Things are getting good.

I couldn't quite figure out the blue armour secret despite having a pretty good idea of what part of the level is supposed to open up etc. Decided to just skip it after a while since the relatively low difficulty of the WAD made me feel like I wouldn't be needing 200 armour for the next level.

Also worth noting that this is my favourite MIDI so far. I've liked some of the songs in the earlier maps but not necessarily their use as map MIDIs. This In Flames tune works pretty well, at least better than some of the earlier choices.

MAP06: Cool architecture and details in the outside area. I'm a sucker for puzzles so I really enjoyed the blue armor secret even if the reward is rather overkill in this level and considering that you have a green armor to pick before and the gameplay is forgiving on its own here. And you go also a soulsphere later. Still it was fun, the arch-vile was good to spice up a little the map.

I had a lot of fun in MAP06:Destination Defenestration, trying to figure out how the progression worked. It was confusing enough to make me think for a moment or five, but not so much so as to be annoying. Having to climb details for progression was also a strange, but fun choice!

Once I initially reached the exit, I had not found the secret yet, so I decided to try and puzzle it out. Discovering the solution was about as fun as figuring out the rest of the map, meaning I liked it. All in all, a good bunch of simple, yet creatively unusual progression.

Map ratings:

Spoiler

Maps get rated on different lists (which I'll add as I deem necessary) depending on which part of the map I liked most, and the placement on said list is dependent on what I think of the map as a whole.

Maps I liked for their simplicity:
MAP01:Drop Pod Excursion

Maps I liked for their aesthetics(visuals & music combined):
MAP02:Bunker Buster

Maps I liked for their sense of place:
MAP03:Urban Renewal

Maps I liked for their creativity:
MAP06:Destination Defenestration
MAP04:Wasted Luxury

Maps I liked for their gameplay:
MAP05:Skylines

Edited by Alper002

MAP06, UV pistol start
100k/100s

Man, I love the word 'defenestration'. 

Initially map feels like breather after the more intensive MAP05 due to its low enemy count, but it starts getting tighter pretty quickly. It is first map with (non-secret) SSG, too! I think introducing it now is rather good pacing - good bye days of shotgunning and chaingunning. Although it also does mean the enemies get meaner, too. More hell knights, more mancubi, more pain elementals and arachnotron - and our dear flameboy shows up at the end accompanied by arachnotrons, which nearly killed me. 

The map has lot of platforming, too. I didn't understand how SSG-room worked initially (stepping on the square to raise platform? I guess it has been taught in the wad so far) and later jumping onto hovercraft (possible ferrying eels). There is also soul sphere you can get from atop of a drop pod.  For once I also managed to find a secret, too, attained by jumping around. Bit easier than others, I suppose. The latter half of encounters are more difficult, as mentioned - there is also rocket ammo around, which would have been handy, but I think I missed it. Maybe it was for continuous players? 

The midi is good too this time - I think the instrumentation has been hit-or-miss for me in the wad so far. Some have been headache-inducing. 

@Alper002 Woo! A category has two maps! Things can only get better from here...

@Summer Deep I think it was quite specifically because I'd already used the W1 version of that line action, and the SSG being on a pressure plate meant that I wouldn't need to contrive a one-way system to raise the pole just the one time. Of course, I could've just had a crate or other static step, but then I wouldn't have used any line actions!

@floatRand It is a great word, isn't it? The rockets are for continuous players, yes. I figured most players who found the rocket launcher in MAP05 would've used most of their rockets not long after, so a few more here for the finale seemed fair.

I suspect it's impossible to legitimately avoid taking damage on this map, given how many hitscanners there are in open areas and the wide coverage snipers have, so my feat on MAP04 will be a one-time thing. Saying that, with the continuous supplies I had and the knowledge of the map that I have, I was never in any real danger. There's so many armour bonuses that I don't think I actually needed to pick up the green armour near the start of the map, either! I still really enjoy this map, though. The fast-paced chaingun combat really appeals to me, even months after making it.

Making this map took a while, but unlike with MAP04 it was more because of the size of it than a loss of motivation. I did struggle with cl 2 compatibility for a bit, as I couldn't work out why the puzzle in the blue key door wasn't working for quite a while. Turns out the floors won't move if they're even in the same blockmap block as a stuck monster, and my teleporting monsters were all some variation of "stuck" here, I think. Still, I worked it out eventually and moved things around appropriately, so now we can all play it in our ports default settings anyway...

Having already picked out the music, theme and name for this map long before starting, I actually had a lot of ideas about how it was going to be. At one point, the outer buildings were going to be more involved, with a Cacodemon swarm or some carefully-placed snipers. However, autoaim limitations and the sheer monster count of what I was already making were enough to put me off those ideas! I still put in a backdrop, though, to give it a sense of place. As I really like this MIDI, I made a point of making the map about 10 minutes long, so I (and others) could hear it through at least once before finishing. Obviously playing on a lower difficulty with less monsters will mean you can go a bit quicker, but it should be long enough to hear most of the track still. I agree with @gaspe that Achilles Last Stand is underrated, as Led Zeppelin songs go!

EDIT: As an additional note on the rocket launcher secret - I quite like the idea of audio cues. If you hear something moving nearby, but don't know what it is, that's often a hint to investigate further. The problem with this secret, if there is one, is that the distance between the trigger and the teleport you're trying to reach, around the structure with a few corners to get hung up on, makes this rather close. I find that strafe-running is the main helper (SR40 is fine), but the angle you're moving at when you trigger the secret lift is also pretty important. Still, not only do you get a decent Mancubus fight as a reward, but the METAL platforms before the imp slaughter lower, revealing more rockets, as well, so it's a big reward for mastering the tricky footwork.

EDIT2: One thing I have noticed from people's videos that's rather puzzled me is the way the players feel a need to hop left, onto the entrance platform, from the first lift in the water puzzle past the blue key door. Some players even hop down from the lift onto the water, which doesn't lower, then step back to the entrance platform, thus lowering the water. As a result, they have to go up the second lift before pressing the "goal" switch in that room, and then have to do the first lift again to leave. Perhaps the way the lifts line up is to blame?

Edited by Phobus

Episode 1 (MAP01-MAP05)

Spoiler

The runnin': The maps have a certain "cuteness" to their design, almost as Phobus wanted to tell the player "hey man, this isn't some AAA wad with custom textures and jaw dropping setpieces, we're here to have some quick and clean old-school Doom fun". They have enough free space in them so the player can jump in the middle of action without fear of getting cornered. The doom-cute stuff also really adds to the charm.

CwxnT39.png

It's rare to see a bookshelf that DOESN'T move

The gunnin': mowing down weak enemies with the occasional big guy to shake things is the MO for these maps, and Phobus gives you plenty ammo so you never have to worry about overkill. One thing I don't appreciate is making the strong weapons secret, the SSG one isn't that much of a problem since (if I remember this correctly) he gives you one very early the next map, but that swarm of imps at the end of MAP05 made me consider noclipping and just grabbing the damn RL that was just sitting on that ledge, taunting me, laughing at me.

TZpY9xA.png

You can expect a lot of moments like this, where you dive head first into a room full of monsters and shoot with reckless abandon

The drummin': I kinda wish you put in the original songs instead of the midi versions. I know, I know, the originals would make the wad's size drastically increase and the midis have the charm of nostalgia, but to me they just remind how the originals would sound better.

ESTLnRw.png

Yeah fuck you too Phobus

iAzSU3h.png

I wonder how many people even bother with Blur Spheres, and because of that spared themselves this trap

MAP 6

Yay, finally here is the non-secret SS! Also, a surprise Arch-ville at the finale! Pretty fun map overall, with some clever progression such as going through the window to go outside and the little platform puzzle to access the finale. (although it took me a while to figure out what to do). The mid-tier enemies are also more proeminent here, which is good and spices thiings up, especially towards the finale.

Preference Order:

3, 6, 5, 2, 4, 1

MAP06 - Destination Defenestration

glBoom+ 2.5.1.7um, skill 4, continuous with saves

Great word indeed.

This is one of those cases where I find a secret fairly easily, but the actual progression of the map eludes me for some time.

I could not figure out how to get past those gates outside. I spent a while thinking I had to Suspended in Dusk that door guard by the blue key.

I ended up opening Doom Builder which didn't help, then searching for demos of which I didn't find any in dsda.

Finally I read some other responses here where I saw the magic 'platforming' word, a real face-in-hand moment for me.

Once I learned that this wonderful sector art was functional too I had a blast traversing it.

4 hours ago, Rince-wind said:

The drummin': I kinda wish you put in the original songs instead of the midi versions. I know, I know, the originals would make the wad's size drastically increase and the midis have the charm of nostalgia, but to me they just remind how the originals would sound better.

I'm in the same boat. I thought about assembling my own wad with full versions of the songs to play through for personal use, but I probably will forget.

Spoiler

Surely the bigger issue with that idea is that it would involve distributing 35 copyrighted songs for free, completely illegally? The file size concern would be secondary to that.

MAP06: Destination Defenestration (Kills: 100%, Secrets: 0/1, Deaths: 1)

Thus far my favorite map, even if I died once to the Arachnotron/Archvile combination at the end. Second time around I remembered to keep the door to the street section open so I could dispose of the enemies more easily from the other side. Even then it was hairy since the Archvile just did not want to be at the front! When I played it a week ago he complied, but this time...

Yeah, I like it. A small city level with a lot of nice details that add to the charm, like the forklift (even if running across it is a bit finnicky) and the unfortunate crash-landed marine next to his pod. Was pavement not soft enough? Or is DoomGuy just that much of a tough guy, so he survived? On the combat side, I wish the final courtyard had less trees and stalagmites since I got stuck on them a lot while dancing around. I know how to get the final secret, but a week ago I remember trying to land in the second ventilation shaft 9-10 times in a row so I judged it not worth it.

EDIT: Oh and yes, 'defenestration' is a nice word.

32 minutes ago, Phobus said:

Surely the bigger issue with that idea is that it would involve distributing 35 copyrighted songs for free, completely illegally? The file size concern would be secondary to that.

Well definitely, that goes without saying. Also to clarify that is not meant against the wad, just the nature of the medium and the brain response to hearing recognizable tunes in the MIDIs. It's making you excited to hear the song again, not detracting from the levels, at least in my view.

MAP06: Destination Defenestration (25 Years on Earth)

PrBoom+ 2.5.1.4, HNTR-PS, no saves, 100% everything

Cool title, but the level's even better! The difficulty ramps up slightly as the super shotgun is introduced for the first time in a non secret area. Had no issues with progression because even if it's not immediately obvious at times, armor and health bonuses (and the aforementioned super shotgun) are used to show the way forward. Lots of parkouring to be done here (if you couldn't tell from the title) but fortunately it's easy platforming (tip: for the final jump leading to the secret, try walking instead of running). Standout encounter is the arch-vile appearance, the area doesn't have much cover and the demons do a really good job at surrounding you, making this the first tricky fight of the wad. I really like the look of the city half of the level, not that the other is inferior on that regard. Great level!

Levels in order of preference:

Spoiler

MAP06: Destination Defenestration

MAP04: Wasted Luxury

MAP02: Bunker Buster

MAP01: Drop Pod Excursion

MAP07, UV pistol start
100k/0s
Rat Run, and doesn't seem like it's a dead simple.
Linear affairs until you meet Mr. Archvile, and after you engage a small maze (in which I almost died due to max-roll rev rocket). Maze itself is claustrophobic but manageable encounter. 
And it's over already after 28 kills? What remarkably short map, which leaves it unfortunately unremarkable. Feels weird that things tune down so much after Skyline and then Defenestration. 

MAP06: Destination Defenestration

I'm predisposed to like the title of this map because of a chat habit of a close friend of mine; that it functions also as guidance as to the intended progression of the level, letting you know that you're expected to YEET yourself out of a window at a certain point, is just a bonus.  I feel like overall this is a level that's about as close to a realistic or at least verisimilitudinous environment and the exploration thereof as Doom can get without feeling as though it's bumping up against the limitations of the engine and its narrative toolkit; things are for the most part pleasantly chunky, with height variations that suggest discrete, consistent elevations and floors within a multi-level structure without the need for room-over-room trickery.  Combat brings a decent bit of pressure but I was left feeling that most of the health I lost was due to my own poor handling of particular encounters rather than anything intrinsic to each setup, whether that meant inappropriate scrambling for cover from cacodemons, or failing to bring pressure to bear on the arch-vile in time to keep it penned up in its little cul-de-sac.

Crispy, UV, continuous.

MAP07: Was expecting a riff on Dead Simple but was surprised to be greeted by a small, claustrophobic level with a revenant maze. It's not very remarkable, to be honest, but I do think it makes some sense as part of the player's journey through the WAD. At least it's not another mancubus arena, I guess? A bit of a dip in quality after the past two maps for sure.

Edited by ironicmoustache

MAP07

It's not a Dead Simple clone.

This pretty much exhausts the good news.  The bad news is that it's not a very engaging map, being what feels like 90% comprised of plain brown corridors, many of them narrow and full of right angles.  The action is similarly drab: there is one good fight, where you tangle with imps and an AV through three parallel tunnels, but everything else feels very uninspired.

MAP06: Destination Defenestration. Played in UV with Brutal Doom and LZDoom.

Fun map, average layout and not so great monster placemente, theres now fewer than the last level. Did not like the blue key hunting, again, but the map got a better at the end, tho this one is my least favorite map so far.

I'm a bit behind, but to make up for it: levels 1 through 7 below! I decided to use the Argent mod with this playthrough. I can't pick out any one level as being notable for good or bad among the first seven. They were thoroughly enjoyable as a group though. I definitely was stuck for a moment on level 6 and ended up having to jump to progress. I thought jumping was supposed to be off (obviously I ignored that), but maybe I was wrong. I also had a hard time figuring out what switches did more than once, but it all worked out. Overall fun combat and typically not left waiting for the next enemies for long.

MAP07 - Rat Run

Cheeky and sneaky with enemies tucked in corners throughout and a maze filled with Mr Spooky Bones to scare the crap outta me. Phobus, you sly devil. A shotgun to the face fixed those bastards up. The Arch-Vile you threw behind me didn't kill me, but the skinny fucker did shave off more health than he should have. I'm still working out the timing of his attack, but no, I still live. While this map is a slight let down after Maps 5 and 6, you're still doing an excellent job at keeping me intrigued and alert as you pull the rug out from under me with your simple, but dastardly tricks.