Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Doom-X-Machina

Just me, or is the Arch-Vile a little disappointing in DE?

The ol' Arch-Vile has always been one of my favourite monsters from Doom since the early 90's and was so stoked to find out they were coming back in Doom Eternal... then I finally encountered my first one...

And... well, I was disappointed with the experience. He just stood in one spot with his hands in the air and let me unload everything into him without even responding... the second one I encountered pretty much did the same, although he walked around a little bit... they really didn't seem to pose much of a threat or do anything interesting at all. At least Doom16's Summoner threw stuff at you and was hard to nail down while it kept zooming around. The Arch-Vile just kinda sits there like a stunned mullet.

Thoughts?

My big disappointment is its reveal, i was so pumped for that one hangar door to open :(

22 minutes ago, GaiusJuliusCaesar said:

Well, the Doomhunter was a joke but got a buff in 1.1

Yeah, actually now that you mention it the first Doomhunter spent more time hiding from me than fighting...

28 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

They've made the Doom Hunters tougher? NO FAIR!

To be honest I find the Doom Hunters a bit of a pushover. When you encounter your first three in the Arctic, they're somewhat challenging due to the fact that the Slayer is like at one-third of his potential at that point in the game. But as you advance through the game and the Slayer's kit gets upgraded, the Doom Hunter stays the same (missed opportunity there, I feel), so he becomes easier with each encounter.

I'm pretty sure this is deliberate, judging from the way that Doom Hunter starts off as a boss and subsequently becomes just another heavy mook.

Archviles were like walking buff totems that can spawn demons, I think they wanted to hide them to make you look for them yourself rather than have them come for you, iirc he also teleports away from you sometimes.

As for the Archvile, they're pretty fun in their current state if you don't just cut them down to size with the Crucible, and fancy an extended scrap with their minions whenever they turn up.

But they don't feel like they put as much pressure on you as the Marauder does; while I wouldn't be opposed to giving the Archvile a buff, if that did happen then the whole "see Archivile, Crucible the fucker immediately" drill would become more important to my playstyle.

2 minutes ago, NoXion said:

To be honest I find the Doom Hunters a bit of a pushover. When you encounter your first three in the Arctic, they're somewhat challenging due to the fact that the Slayer is like at one-third of his potential at that point in the game. But as you advance through the game and the Slayer's kit gets upgraded, the Doom Hunter stays the same (missed opportunity there, I feel), so he becomes easier with each encounter.

I'm pretty sure this is deliberate, judging from the way that Doom Hunter starts off as a boss and subsequently becomes just another heavy mook.

Totally agree.  I've been playing on UV (XBox One) and find the Doom Hunter boss to be quite challenging, but find all subsequent Doom Hunters to be a complete joke and a welcome addition to the late-game arena battles (in that they're much preferred over an Arch-vile or Marauder).  When you fight the Doom Hunter boss on the 4th campaign, your blood punch stinks, your ice bombs stink, your total health and armor stink, and you don't have the chaingun at all.  Playing on a console, I find it too difficult to rely on the precision bolt to pick him off from afar, which forces me to use the plasma rifle / lock-on rocket method for the Doom Hunter boss, which I've found exposes me to a lot of straight-on missiles and that "swipe" move he does while using the plasma rifle (since it's hard to jump around from side to side and shoot your weapon simultaneously on a console).  The later-game Doom Hunters are much, much easier for all the reasons noted above.

@NoXion i agree, if there was ever a monster in Doom Eternal that was the biggest pain in the ass it would be the Marauder, The arch-vile was kinda a joke since they weren't as aggressive as there Doom 2 counterpart, BUT i could have swore that there was some hugely missed potential of the Archvile being a mini-boss

2 hours ago, Morpheus666 said:

@NoXion i agree, if there was ever a monster in Doom Eternal that was the biggest pain in the ass it would be the Marauder, The arch-vile was kinda a joke since they weren't as aggressive as there Doom 2 counterpart, BUT i could have swore that there was some hugely missed potential of the Archvile being a mini-boss

2 points you mention...

1) Marauder being a pain in the arse... yeaaaah, but I think it's more his stoopid pooch that's the problem. He by himself isn't that much of an issue, once he sets his stupid dog on you (yeah... im seriously NOT sold on the dog hey...) that's when shit gets a little hectic.

2) Arch-Vile not aggressive... 100% agree. Swarm of monsters and an Arch-Vile in old Doom... top priority. Arch-Vile in Doom Eternal... "eh, i'll get to him when I get a chance..." they just don't feel like a priority target?

1 hour ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

2 points you mention...

1) Marauder being a pain in the arse... yeaaaah, but I think it's more his stoopid pooch that's the problem. He by himself isn't that much of an issue, once he sets his stupid dog on you (yeah... im seriously NOT sold on the dog hey...) that's when shit gets a little hectic.

2) Arch-Vile not aggressive... 100% agree. Swarm of monsters and an Arch-Vile in old Doom... top priority. Arch-Vile in Doom Eternal... "eh, i'll get to him when I get a chance..." they just don't feel like a priority target?

It's funny since to me the Pinkies are actually more of a top priority because when there are loads of them you just kinda say "aw crap" since they may not be the hardest enemy to dispatch but they can be in tight corridors,(Hence why in my playthrough keeping the chainsaw fully loaded was a top priority since it makes killing them so much easier)

I personally think that Doom eternal has some issues with the monster to firepower ratios but it's great regardless of that since the thrill of playing is tackling these hard encounters head on.

I don't know how "disappointing" they are exactly. I mean, as soon as I get a whiff of them, I pretty much immediately bust out the sword while screaming "OH HELL NO FUCK OFF YOU TWAT!", since they can make a battle pretty damn chaotic. Now, if we're measuring how good they are based solely on "How bad can they directly hurt you", then yeah, they aren't much to talk about. But then, they aren't built to be direct hazards in Eternal, so it kind of evens out there. In any case, I find them to be way, way , WAY more important targets than say, Tyrants or even Barons.  

Unfortunately most of his occurences are indoor. Just the first encounter in Taras Nabad is outdoor.

I think it's because we have so many tools to deal with the Archvile (Crucible, Lock-On + Ice Bomb + BFG). Even the Summoner in 2016 could be dealt easily with a single Lock-On Burst, which would leave it staggered. I think their ability to spawn/buff demons needs to be quicker. Besides that, I hope in the DLC they have us fight more than one at a time, since we only had one Archvile enemy at a time in any given encounter.

It would have benefited to introduce him earlier on in the game IMO and not leave him with just 1 legit encounter before you get the instakill "fuck you" weapon where he is pretty much the only thing worth using it on.

Edited by oCrapaCreeper

4 hours ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

Arch-Vile in Doom Eternal... "eh, i'll get to him when I get a chance..." they just don't feel like a priority target?

Did you even play the game? Leaving the archvile alive for long means you're toast.

I kinda wished hed had some healing ability that could undo the gore and damage on enemies.

Could have make him fill that "medic" role.

2 hours ago, AtimZarr1 said:

I think it's because we have so many tools to deal with the Archvile (Crucible, Lock-On + Ice Bomb + BFG). Even the Summoner in 2016 could be dealt easily with a single Lock-On Burst, which would leave it staggered. I think their ability to spawn/buff demons needs to be quicker. Besides that, I hope in the DLC they have us fight more than one at a time, since we only had one Archvile enemy at a time in any given encounter.

When they design new enemies, i hope they think more of enemy abilities before the enemy itself.

I mean, when you give the player a lot of abilities and weapons, i feel like aside from the challenging Marauder and all, it feels like id built a line for how they design abilities for the enemies, that they wont cross over.

I kept talking about this and repeating it, but i feel like something mimicking the Heretic Iron Lich tornado could be justified with the player's mobility abilities.

10 hours ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

the dog only appears if you hit the Marauders shield instead of him, if I’m not mistaken.

as for the Arch Vile, I actually prioritise him first because of you leave it too long, he can spawn buffed Marauders too. That said there have been times when I’ve been “in the zone” enjoying the combat loop and I’ll intentionally leave him for quite a while so he can spawn more things for me to fight :) 

16 hours ago, Deimos said:

My big disappointment is its reveal, i was so pumped for that one hangar door to open :(

This. They kinda messed up by not keeping that reveal like from the Phobos gameplay video.

9 hours ago, thewormofautumn said:

the dog only appears if you hit the Marauders shield instead of him, if I’m not mistaken.

The dog appears if ANY projectile hits the shield, be it you or one of the monsters.

I was beginning to wonder why the dogs weren't showing up after the first encounter, I thought it was scripted to only show up in specific areas or that I broke it.

Hes fine to me but I just wish they spawned more often. We only see them about 5 times in the campaign.

On 6/1/2020 at 3:30 AM, Doom-X-Machina said:

The ol' Arch-Vile has always been one of my favourite monsters from Doom since the early 90's and was so stoked to find out they were coming back in Doom Eternal... then I finally encountered my first one...

And... well, I was disappointed with the experience. He just stood in one spot with his hands in the air and let me unload everything into him without even responding... the second one I encountered pretty much did the same, although he walked around a little bit... they really didn't seem to pose much of a threat or do anything interesting at all. At least Doom16's Summoner threw stuff at you and was hard to nail down while it kept zooming around. The Arch-Vile just kinda sits there like a stunned mullet.

Thoughts?

What difficulty mode are you playing on?  Pretty much every time he spawns I have to race to get to him quickly and freeze bomb and rocket him or he'll be surrounded by his buffed spawns that make it hard to get to him. I've also seen him teleport quite often and it can be frustrating if you don't see where he went. There are places, especially on modes like Nightmare, where you definitely want use the BFG first to clear out any demons to facilitate a fast track to him, like the huge open area with the pond in the middle, and the battle near the Slayer Gate in Taras Nabad, and his first appearance in Nekravol 2.

Even once you learn how to best deal with him, at the very least, he's a demon which, like the Marauder, demands your full attention until he's dead.

On 6/1/2020 at 5:30 AM, Deimos said:

Same, I like the demon and the mechanics on itselft, but the reveal is so lame.

5 hours ago, Frag Maniac said:

What difficulty mode are you playing on?  Pretty much every time he spawns I have to race to get to him quickly and freeze bomb and rocket him or he'll be surrounded by his buffed spawns that make it hard to get to him. I've also seen him teleport quite often and it can be frustrating if you don't see where he went. There are places, especially on modes like Nightmare, where you definitely want use the BFG first to clear out any demons to facilitate a fast track to him, like the huge open area with the pond in the middle, and the battle near the Slayer Gate in Taras Nabad, and his first appearance in Nekravol 2.

Even once you learn how to best deal with him, at the very least, he's a demon which, like the Marauder, demands your full attention until he's dead.

Ultra-Violence. Nothing less.

50 minutes ago, Doom-X-Machina said:

Ultra-Violence. Nothing less.

Well on Nightmare he'll definitely throw some fire attacks at you, spawn demons incessantly, and teleport until you kill him.

Hmm, so it seems like as of the latest update, the Lock-On Burst literally doesn’t work on the Arch-Vile anymore (and yes, I tried several times).

I’m not sure if it’s a bug or deliberate, but there goes one of my strats.

Only issue I have with the Arch Vile is that he sometimes just stands there doing nothing. Definitely buggy. Maybe this no longer occurs in update 2?

Considering he only moves by teleporting, I feel he needs to be constantly performing actions.

Tyrants and Doom Hunters on the other hand need some sort of buff I reckon!