Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NaZa

The DWIronman League dies to: Vrack 1, 2 and 3!

June, 2020

jsBHZWl.png

The yearly leader board
> I advise you to read Essential Info before downloading. Maybe to prevent massive desyncs? :P

Standard Leaderboard:

1. 1 - SURVIVED (2:07:24): ReaperAA - Incredible blind survival; "extremely slow" but keeps a distance from second. Well done!
  2. 1 - SURVIVED (2:50:55): Vince Vega - Survived despite some rather monstrous moments - that's what Ironman is about.
  3. 1 - SURVIVED (3:05:27): Roofi - Back at what he does best with a comfortable green.
  4. 2 - 1 471 kills: dt_ - Got mopped up on the grid.
  5. 2 - 1 444 kills: NaZa - Missed morning jogging session and attempted to do it in Doom instead. Wasted both energy and invulnerability.
  6. 1 - 1 379 kills: Bdubzzz - Commentator curse at its finest. Incredible clutching in Vrack 3 however. 
  7. 2 - 1 212 kills: Beginner - The hell knights duly got together and hit Beginner perfectly where it hurt most.
  8. 1 - 967 kills: Daerik - Those "dickish traps" let three blind people through all of them. It just wasn't Daerik's day.
  9. 2 - 921 kills: RjY - A circle of mancubi appeared!
  10. 1 - 884 kills: SSGmaster - Got caught in tricky situations in the latter two, but damn, that's some epic clutching in Vrack 1!
  11. 1 - 870 kills: Suitepee - Always look on the bright side - at least it was revenants and not archviles.
  12. 1 - 862 kills: Horus - Killed by two sneaky chaingunners around the corner. Became a nukage snail in Vrack 2.
  13. 2 - 792 kills: Anima Zero - Pondered the BFG. Couldn't stop thinking about the BFG. There was no BFG in the yellow skull area.
  14. 1 - 757 kills: Arbys550 - Will be haunted by the weapon reloading times for years to come.
  15. 2 - 727 kills: vdgg - Waited for the doors to reopen. They did, only to reveal death.
  16. 1 - 415 kills: Endless - Welcome aboard! Nice to see you experience being Good at Doom immediately.
  17. 3 - 391 kills: Austinado - Disappointed despite beating friend? Followed him into the laser cell anyway.
  18. 1 - 373 kills: Dieting Hippo - Vrack1 is a reminder that the SSG also spreads vertically. Painful.
  19. 1 - 297 kills: NoisyVelvet - Decided looking back is a liability in Vrack2.
  20. 1 - 297 kills: I_Punch_Demons - Never yet had the host of Ironman been directly responsible for a competitor's death. Until that day.
  21. 1 - 278 kills: seed - Destroys every barrel and comes up short with ammo for the real enemies.
  22. 1 - 276 kills: ozy - Vrack3 run is reminiscent of Nightmare! with those hitscanners, but you'd never escape from the Vrack2 rockets.
  23. 1 - 188 kills: Pegleg - Poor dodging, but also misfortune in Vrack3 as a cacodemon fireball pushes Pegleg into the laser grid.
  24. 1 - 133 kills: Crusader no Regret - Got backstabbed by chaingunners. (Vrack 2 - illegal skill settings)

Prepared Leaderboard:

1. # - 1 267 kills: Bashe - Was doing so well... then decided to pass through the lasers.
  2. # - 210 kills: Pegleg - Attempted to rush by the hell knight. Hell knight was having none of it.

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In June 2020 the DWIronman League dies to the three Vrack levels, -complevel 9 by @Fredrik. For the first time in the history of the league, we have three maps. The way they're going to be graded is pretty much the same as with Kassman's levels in September 2018. It doesn't matter if you survive one or two levels - what matters is if you survive all of them. Otherwise, the amount of monsters killed will be the tiebreaker. Anyway, for the maps, they're quite large maps, and reasonably challenging as well. Doomguy's ended up in space now! Who would've thought so many monsters live in a base, and they don't stop coming, and they don't stop coming... The first map might lead you onto the wrong track with its difficulty, but the second map will for sure correct you. There's a lot of ambushes in this one, mostly hordes that swarm in from an unknown area, possibly square cells thousands of units away from the map? We can't know for sure. What we can know is that Bdubzzz will win this month as well :)

Essential Info

• Doom II: Hell on Earth as the IWAD selected.
  • Compatibility level 9, or "(Boom (strict))" for ZDoom derivative ports.
  • Ttime estimate: 2 to 3 hours
  • 3 maps, each loaded and played separately. Kill count is used to determine ranking (not maps survived) unless you survive all the way. This means that if you stream/provide a video, the kill counter must be shown when/if you die (it should ideally be present at all times though)
  • You are downloading vrack2bnot vrack2. There's a REJECT lump in vrack2 so that might be crucial. I'm not that good with technicalities so I don't know. Gameplay is the same judging from the textfile, so I'll need a tech wizard like RjY to correct me on this if necessary.

> Download Vrack 1, Vrack 2(b) and Vrack 3.

prboom-plus.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file VRACKx.wad -complevel 9 -skill 4 -record demo_name.lmp

Spoiler

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:

• To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.

• To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.

• UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • No additional WADs may be loaded.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than his/her competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. I have passively prepared for the competition - watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Spoiler

Edited by NaZa : forgot to name daerik

Oh great! I will play them this week, definitely NOT all at the same day. Possibly I will die on Vrack2b as I haven't played it for ages. The first one I should survive and the third one I know and remember very well.

Jolly me, I write twice it's complevel 9 yet in essential info, where information should be correct, I write complevel 2. This was fixed. It has to be -complevel 9. In other news, as I'm already posting, here's my survival of Vrack 1 with 373 kills in 22:14. At a few points I was a bit stressed, and I took it maybe too slowly, but hey. I survived. That's what's important. My lucky stars might be shining, but tomorrow I'll do the other two.

Edited by NaZa

27 minutes ago, NaZa said:

Jolly me, I write twice it's complevel 9 yet in essential info, where information should be correct, I write complevel 2. 

I am confused by this sentence. I just recorded my Vrack 1 demo in complevel 9.

Vrackdemo.zip (Category 1 and done in 23:13 with 104% kills)

Just now, ReaperAA said:

I am confused by this sentence. I just recorded my Vrack 1 demo in complevel 9.

Vrackdemo.zip (Category 1 and done in 23:13 with 104% kills)

Yes, it should in fact be complevel 9. I meant, I typed it correctly everywhere except in the part where it's meant to be correct (Essential Info).

DEAD on all 3 wads, survived none. Your typical seed performance (or rather, the lack thereof) for your personal amusement ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .

seedvracks.zip

I lied. Here's Vrack 2. I know Vrack 3's kinda a difficult one in a different way so I won't attempt it tonight, but I felt extra motivated so I had to give this one a shot. Feels good to almost max the map with the most monsters :) Category 2 Vrack 2, 719/722 in 43:47.

EDIT: I forgot to mention a few hair-rising moments. Fairly sure I had around 10 HP twice in this run, I know once it happened because I underestimated the amount of enemies still alive in an outdoor area. Future was not looking bright when two Barons jumpscared me. Heck, the future wasn't even looking at all.

Edited by NaZa

You know, sometimes I wonder if I'll ever survive another Ironman challenge.

Honestly I think my Lunatic run is here to stay for a very long time, I doubt I'm surviving any other mapset. Like, ever.

13 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

@seed If I remember correctly, you also survived Monster Hunter. Ltd wads (mohu1 and mohu2) 

Rechecked that topic and indeed, I survived that challenge too. Okay, that's two challenges then, to go down in history 🤣🤣.

2 hours ago, NaZa said:

What we can know is that Bdubzzz will win this month as well :)

Actually, it's an even-numbered month. If the pattern holds,  won't win this month. Ancalagon won in February (month 2) and joe-ilya won in April (month 4).

They say all good things come to an end. Wouldn't label my Vrack 3 run as good, though, even if it had 352 out of 553 monsters killed. I think I dropped to 13 health at the very beginning - and I cheated death once more when I forgot a bazillion arachnotrons spawn when you do a particular thing. Either way I knew I'd probably die on the grid, yet judging by how many clutch moments I've had, I've still had some hope. That hope evaporated when I picked up the invulnerability 15 seconds too early. I was still able to survive 3 arch-vile blasts, but then a very well positioned revenant and a few of his caco buddies sayonara'd me into the void in which I was hiding. Good riddance. I guess that gives me 1444 total kills out of 1689. Not even half bad, looking back. Should be a good result, even if I didn't survive. It's an easily survivable challenge if you played it in the past, I guess, as some of these setpieces are quite memorable. There's definitely two spots on Vrack2 and at least one on Vrack3 which can claim blind souls.

EDIT: Oh, another thing I forgot to mention. Lost souls and revived monsters will not count in your total kill count if you play on ZDoom. Not sure how to fully circumvent this problem - a solution is just to use the monsters remaining alive, deduct it from the unaltered kill count, and the kill count should read fine. The problem is, however, if the player decided to leave lost souls alive, or an arch vile starts resurrecting stuff before you get to it. It's an interesting problem for sure, and I'm not sure how it can be solved.

Edited by NaZa

Category 1 Dead on Vrack3

Vrack1 392/414

Vrack2 637/722

Vrack3 350/553

Total: 1379/1689

DWIronman-vrack-dubz.zip

Spoiler

Well its surprising I survived as long as I did on Vrack3..lots of close calls and kept crawling through till that 1 part that probably will kill every1 playing Blind.. don't know if there is some trick to it heh 

Edited by Bdubzzz : Few comments on my attempt

18 hours ago, NaZa said:

What we can know is that Bdubzzz will win this month as well :)

Well, this aged badly (but I am sure Naza doesn't mind this :D)

Uh can anyone help me here. I am using GlBoom+ (tried both 2.5.1.4 and 2.5.1.7um) and I am having a rendering issue at the very beginning of Vrack2b. When I saw the hanging crates from the other side, I got suspicious and tried software PrBoom+ where the issue doesn't exist.

This is the issue I have. Does anyone know a fix about this.

Vrack2b.png.17341536d3f8e57161f5ad6f4a1da64d.png

(I tried default settings by removing the .cfg file and even then the issue was there)

If it is even in 2.5.1.4, then it sounds a lot like a mapping error to me, one that didn't manifest in Software but the way it was built is troublesome for GL.

4 minutes ago, seed said:

If it is even in 2.5.1.4, then it sounds a lot like a mapping error to me, one that didn't manifest in Software but the way it was built is troublesome for GL.

Either that, or it is something specific with my computer/config. Can you try it in Glboom+

I've tried it; same thing happens, so it's an engine manifested bug.

Another disclaimer - if you die on the first map, this doesn't mean you can't play the second or third map. You play all three, regardless if you die on Vrack 1 or 2.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Can you try it in Glboom+

Already did - where'd you think I made the demo :p .

Just now, seed said:

Already did - where'd you think I made the demo :p .

Oh ok :p. I only asked it to know if that issue in Vrack2 existed for you as well (which Naza confirmed to be the case).

Let's see what my fail train fingers throw forth this month shall we?

Vrack 1 - Dead at 411/414.  Might be the best death honestly because this is the one map in the series I had barely much knowledge of, if any.  Let's just say me throwing out all my rockets before reaching the exit kinda kicked my ass, heh.

To be fair though...I should have dead ass died in the room with the acid and all the jumps to switches you have to make.

Vrack 2 - Dead at 255/722.  This and Vrack 3 I do remember playing sometime in the past.  Fat lot of good that all did me when I didn't remember any of the major traps like the YK one that killed me here.

Vrack 3 - Dead at 128/553.  See above comment for Vrack 2, just replace the YK trap with the SSG one (and one asshole manco that did the dirty deed in a double KO).

DWIronman_VrackTrilogy_AnimaZero.zip

Played like shit today. 414/414 on Vrack 1, 264/722 on Vrack 2, and 81/553 on Vrack 3.

Vrack 1 was okay. On Vrack 2 I don't see how I could've possibly beat that with the weaponry I had. I'm pretty sure there was a secret BFG or secret Rocket Launcher somewhere, so fuck that. I loathe secret weaponry in almost all its forms. Vrack 3 I kinda just wasn't paying attention cause I was so disappointed with Vrack 2. Category 1 for everything.

TheUltimateArbysVrackCollection.zip

I did it!!!! I survived this month.

Vrack3demo.zip (Category 1 and survived in 1:03:46 with 550 kills)

I played this extra carefully (hence the extremely slow time). Bumping and humping walls for secrets, backtracking, sniping enemies, you name it. And man, it payed off. Had I not discovered the secret in "grid/laser" area, I was done for (heck, even then I barely survived it). Other than that, there are some areas with mancubus ambushes and some with arachnotron ambushes that can be dangerous, but fortunately, I did fine in those areas.

Overall, I really enjoyed the 3 maps. The first one was a bit basic in terms of monster placement, but it was fine. 2 and 3 were much superior. My overall favorite was probably Vrack2, because it felt absolutely chaotic with tons of ammo to use but equally liberal with throwing tons of meat at you. Vrack3 was less chaotic, but overall harder due to more devious traps.

Edited by ReaperAA

Was speechless until now. Great stuff, especially blind - would be your first victory if you hold on, as well! Looking forward to watching these runs, especially the (potentially) hot feet in the slime maze :) 

I did much better on Vrack 1 than I did on 2b and 3, those ones I died pretty close to the start with only ~10% kills.

Vrack 1

Spoiler

Category I

M: 246/414

S: 0/4

I: 1/17

Time: 00:22:14

Vrack 2

Spoiler

Category I

M: 75/722

S: 0/8