Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
HQDefault

Mappack- UAC Pacific Northwest (WIP: Feedback Wanted)

Some really charming levels with some rather goofy music to go with it. I do like how the DooM marine has a proper head of hair and a big moustache XD.

Difficulty is actually very nice for HMP, not really a whole lot needs to be changed. (Can't say for MAP 3 or 4 since I stopped at 2 for now :3).

Did kinda wish the SSG was on the first map to make the hell knights easier to deal with but you do get a rocket launcher if you go looking for it so it's not too much of a drawback. :) Also, I really didn't struggle with health or armour for the most part, I did run out of shells during MAP02 but with how many bullets there were I was able to regain my shells back quickly. good balancing. <3

This may be my inner OCD flaring up hard but... wall textures used as flats and flats used as well textures sticks out like a sore thumb to me and thus I noticed it very easily. You CAN do this and make it work well but a vast majority of engines I believe can't handle such a feature, only GZ/LZ/QZ I think can handle this. (Regular Z might as well but since it's not been updated in nearly 5 years... no promises...)

Speaking of design flaws, PLEASE don't use transparent textures as linedefs that aren't things like windows or fences. Using a texture that has transparency on its texture does appear black in GZDooM but in other engines it's a HOM error (and in the case of vanilla, a tutti-frutti error instead).

9 hours ago, DynamiteKaitorn said:

Did kinda wish the SSG was on the first map to make the hell knights easier to deal with but you do get a rocket launcher if you go looking for it so it's not too much of a drawback. :)

-snip-

Speaking of design flaws, PLEASE don't use transparent textures as linedefs that aren't things like windows or fences.

1: There actually is a SSG on the first map. It's right before the room with the blue key, there's a little lift off to side where you can get it.

2: I'm assuming you're referring to how I would occasionally use Midbar textures as grates and whatnot. If so, I can probably just create non-transparent versions of those textures, but in the mean time I guess I'll just have to point people to using GZDoom.

Thanks for the feedback.

Played it here and really enjoyed it - thanks for a great set of levels! You've definitely got the hang of the Doom engine and I liked the variety of the scenery. For setting up monster encounters, you might want to try experimenting more with monsters that are further away and the player can't deal with immediately, and for more scenarios where monsters start to become threats from places other than in front of the player (which is a hard thing to set up sometimes).

6 hours ago, DavidN said:

Played it here and really enjoyed it - thanks for a great set of levels! You've definitely got the hang of the Doom engine and I liked the variety of the scenery. For setting up monster encounters, you might want to try experimenting more with monsters that are further away and the player can't deal with immediately, and for more scenarios where monsters start to become threats from places other than in front of the player (which is a hard thing to set up sometimes).

This video gave some very helpful insight, thank you.

On that note, pack's been updated. See changelog for details.

I've gotten started on Map05 "Trail Mix and Buckshots"

He's a little sneaky preview of the first area

Screenshot_Doom_20200609_142909.png.59cbf82bc6a1fd2be9582887f0e7da20.png

So I got a question for you guys

I'm a bit torn on whether or not this mappack should have a hell segment. It wouldn't be particularly long, probably 2-3 maps at most. I've already made a skybox for it just in case, but I feel like if I'm gonna call it "UAC Pacific Northwest" the conceit of the WAD has really gotta be on exploring that particular region.

I'm torn. I have some cool stuff that I was thinking about doing with it, but I feel like if I do add a detour through Hell I'd kind of be missing the point of the pack.

I setup a strawpoll https://www.strawpoll.me/20311005

27 minutes ago, HQDefault said:

So I got a question for you guys

I'm a bit torn on whether or not this mappack should have a hell segment. It wouldn't be particularly long, probably 2-3 maps at most. I've already made a skybox for it just in case, but I feel like if I'm gonna call it "UAC Pacific Northwest" the conceit of the WAD has really gotta be on exploring that particular region.

I'm torn. I have some cool stuff that I was thinking about doing with it, but I feel like if I do add a detour through Hell I'd kind of be missing the point of the pack.

I setup a strawpoll https://www.strawpoll.me/20311005

Maybe if you worked with the Episode 2's theming of combining Hellish elements with the existing natural landscape and the base interiors, you could work more Hell elements into the maps without having to move away from your theming? Or maybe a map or two where Hell is trying to trick the main character by disguising the map as a peaceful spot in the Northwest, only to go through a door or teleporter and the evil stands revealed. Just my two cents.

Thinking about it, I feel like I've figured out a way that it could work. Should be interesting once I actually get around to it.

Here's this pack's guide to THE RULES OF DOORS

WALL03_1.png.2f8696d691bf2fbdf367fe5079d13583.pngENTRY door: Always accessible (Unless it requires a keycard, obviously). Never requires an external switch/device to open.

DOOR2_5.png.4fa82c0db94b54b6f81ce7b0d1490cce.pngNO ACCESS door: Potentially significant. Can be simply decorative, will sometimes open by surprise, or could be opened via a switch to reveal a secret.

MTNCEDOR.png.c0aad67565f0b96a588df818f7e5f8d8.pngMAINTENANCE door: Purely decorative. Can never be opened via any switch or device, and will never even house a secret.

Edited by HQDefault

5 hours ago, HQDefault said:

Behold.

A masterpiece of detailing.

detailing.png.f1822633fea902efc5b0d4c63ea83ac1.png

I'm kidding, obviously.

This is what it looks like now.

I'm really getting my mileage out of that forest texture.

Screenshot_Doom_20200615_001955.png.c79ff3da494273a75f04f0e8a210099a.png

So I've decided to go and add proper shadows to my skybox mountains and I want to gouge my arms off because it's really tedious

But it does looks nice

Capture.PNG.536679ad944f2c9ed0e493a1fce599fb.PNG

Anyway, content update VERY soon.

I gotta finish up a few more changes and then I'll upload it tomorrow morning. That can be my motivation to get out of bed for work on time, so I can upload the pack before I go to work.

cool man, i just recorded first map

easy side, but i liked it and had a lot of fun

completed with 100 100 100 on a blind run, but i am so good with secrets yo!

No bugs to be reported, last room has barons floors at the same height as the grass, bad to look at. The rest of the map was really good, maybe just too easy:)

will go on with the gameplay! thanks!

PS: i really like the pistol texture, can i steal it for my wip wad?

EDIT: map 02 was really fun. this time only 3 secrets out of 5 :( im sad BUT YEA i like playing a cool relaxing map set like this from time to time, keeps me healthy :)

Edited by Zolgia108

7 hours ago, Zolgia108 said:

PS: i really like the pistol texture, can i steal it for my wip wad?

Sure.

I was probably gonna completely redo the sprite anyway.

PISGE0.png.c58478d3034527117756ba8e713f7446.pngPISFA0.png.0d09a404f1b6465a4967640e3aaa868b.pngPISGA0.png.6b4dd9e5627d6a6593ad690256137f09.pngPISGB0.png.c8f0004266cb85c0c1f38c4db2f4364d.pngPISGC0.png.7902c7c861a4cd40e5f7c1985746b0e5.pngPISGD0.png.d1681430a76fcfaa76b7487144d015f0.png

thank you m8!

so i played the 5 maps and it was freaking fun dude ahahahah

i love them, let me know of any updates, i recorded every map and i will upload them on you tube in the next days (probably tomorrow), if that's okay for you!

Map06 is gonna be on hiatus for a short bit

I've decided I'll be working on a small mapping side project to learn to mess around with difficulty some more instead of just leaning on theme-ing.

That and I need to work on getting together an actual semi-professional looking portfolio.

Oh yeah and I need to submit my FASFA before the deadline or I'm gonna heccin'  d i e. (financially)

Okay, so... uh... minor update. V5 has come along, really just adds a couple minor new textures.

In the mean time, quick update on myself,

I feel like this youtube clip excellently demonstrates my current feeling when it comes to level design stuff:

https://www.youtubetrimmer.com/view/?v=Z-tF0NKdh24&amp;start=1854&amp;end=1868

Here's what's currently on my plate:

-UAC Pacific Northwest

-Maximum Doomage

-Floated the idea of an episode 1 remaster

-Trying to get all this stuff in my portfolio on a linkedin

-Phaser 2 (which is probably going nowhere)

-Updating the e1m3 remaster

-My first paid level design gig

-My part time job

-I need to start getting ready to head back to college

So, yeah, something's gonna have to give.

I'm gonna put most of my Doom stuff on the backburner for now, and I'll go back and fourth between that paid gig and UAC Pacific Northwest. I'll come back to Maximum Doomage some other time.

Hey man, really nice screenshots. You definitely nailed that outdoor look, and especially the snow mountain range. Well done. Also, I love green trees in Doom. I really want to check this set out, please keep working on it. :p

Man, I love fun breezy maps with bright blue skies.. Gonna give this a spin over the next couple days and let you know how it goes, but the screenshots have definitely piqued my interest.

Just finished playing through the whole thing in Zandronum, took about 50 mins all up.

That was extremely fun. Challenge was at the right level - not too easy nor ball-bustingly hard, the MIDIs were light and fun and set the mood well, the bright skies made the maps overall feel enjoyable to be in, and the skyboxes themselves were cute. The minor touches like the Doomguy face with a beard and stache/custom HUD graphics only serve to give this little mapset a bit more of it's own identity.

I honestly don't have any complaints, other than the fact that in software mode (which I'm guessing at least half of people still use), a bunch of the midtextures that have been lowered into the floor do this weird "visual overlapping" thing:

QpYRvaW.png

wzwSflU.png

The solution is pretty random - you have to make sure sector light values are different on each side of the linedef. So, one of these lines that's sinking into the floor, if the front and back sector both have a lighting value of 160, you'll want to change one of them to 161. No co clue at all why this works, but it will prevent this little bit of visual ugliness.

I had a blast with this, looking forward to the final version. This kind of little mapset with it's own quirk and charm appeals directly to my tastes!

51 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

I honestly don't have any complaints, other than the fact that in software mode (which I'm guessing at least half of people still use), a bunch of the midtextures that have been lowered into the floor do this weird "visual overlapping" thing:

The solution is pretty random - you have to make sure sector light values are different on each side of the linedef. So, one of these lines that's sinking into the floor, if the front and back sector both have a lighting value of 160, you'll want to change one of them to 161. No co clue at all why this works, but it will prevent this little bit of visual ugliness.

shook_kirby.png.88d977534b15858e64bf4e0109e242f0.png

Wow, that's really annoying.

Alright, I'll see if I can go through and fix them.

On that note, so far that sort of thing is probably the only thing I don't like about mapping for Doom. It has a lot of flexibility allotted to it with modern source ports, but there's no guarantee that things won't be immediately broken after changing one setting.

EDIT: Okay so this does appear to be fixable, but you do need to switch over to TrueColor software renderer because I go off palette for some of the blues.

Edited by HQDefault

OK, scratch that.

@Doomkid your solution didn't work.

I'll just have to put a note in that there's some graphical buggery in software mode.

I just discovered a different way to fix it. You can lower or raise one of the sectors by 1 pixel. No one will notice this during gameplay and it will fix the visual oddness. Also, it turns out the lighting needs to be different by at least 8 - my mistake.

Although it turns out there's an even easier solutiuon: in your MAPINFO lump, simply set "clipmidtextures" to be true for the whole map. Seems much easier, I found it in this thread and didn't even realize it was a feature til now.

2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

I just discovered a different way to fix it. You can lower or raise one of the sectors by 1 pixel. No one will notice this during gameplay and it will fix the visual oddness. Also, it turns out the lighting needs to be different by at least 8 - my mistake.

Although it turns out there's an even easier solutiuon: in your MAPINFO lump, simply set "clipmidtextures" to be true for the whole map. Seems much easier, I found it in this thread and didn't even realize it was a feature til now.

Yup, that did the trick.

I'm back with some developer commentary!

I hope you guys like hearing a guy complain about their own wad for an hour straight, because that's basically what this is.