Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
WowozuelaSpammer

Ultra-Violence and the opinions of the players

13 hours ago, DRMman said:

Is this bait?.

Nah, dw is just the same 4 threads in a row on constant repeat.

1 hour ago, printz said:

why UV and not HMP? Because of fear of missing out. Also if you play HMP, it risks becoming too easy by mid-game, and it will be too late to start over in UV.

-warp -skill 4 :p .

UV is the skill level that has the most monsters while also not risking the game being completely unplayable. Nuff said.

I like killing demons and UV has the most demons. Also, Nightmare is hard to the point of being unfair and sometimes impossible for human beings.

19 minutes ago, Mangcubus said:

Nightmare is hard to the point of being unfair and sometimes impossible for human beings.

It's a good thing there's a warning about NM being unfair in-game, ain't it?

4 minutes ago, MFG38 said:

It's a good thing there's a warning about NM being unfair in-game, ain't it?

Yeah, lol. 

The default difficulty has always been Hurt Me Plenty. In simpler terms, the difficulties would be:

1. Very easy

2. Easy

3. Normal

4. Hard

5. Stupid

Nightmare requires you to speedrun, which is a playstyle I absolutely hate so I never play it. The respawn ruins any chance it had at being a non-gimmick difficulty. But everything else - the faster monsters, projectiles, monster reactions etc. were great additions and make the game feel much more snappy. Thus I play UV -fast. That should have been the last difficulty and would have been the "Very hard" difficulty.

Most people consider Nightmare sort of a 'joke' difficulty, though it can be cool challenge to play though on some mapsets however some mapsets do break because of the respawning monsters nightmare has from what i heard

and i think most maps/mapsets made nowadays are balanced for UV and its easier to balance for UV instead of trying to balancing for nightmare.

people usually play UV since it the hardest difficulty and does not come with the respawning and zero reaction time enemies that Nightmare has

(which makes hitscan monsters the most deadly monsters on Nightmare from my experience playing it)   

You kinda have to rush through maps on Nightmare to beat them.

Also you don't get as much satisfaction killing monsters on NM since they don't stay dead.  

... though even with all that at least Nightmare in classic doom sounds more fair than the Ultra Nightmare in the newer games.

I think HMP is also pretty common too from watching doom videos.

HMP can be a good warm up for UV or if you just want something more chill than UV which is fine.

I am sure Nightmare has more demons than UV :P. So if that is the only criteria I have good\bad news.. (Yes I know they are the same initial demons as UV)

8 hours ago, Pegg said:

I am sure Nightmare has more demons than UV :P. So if that is the only criteria I have good\bad news.. (Yes I know they are the same initial demons as UV)

I'm just wondering, but how high can the kill percentage go? 999%?65,536% for original DOS? 2,147,483,647% for 32-bit executables, 9,223,372,036,854,775,807% for 64 bit integers? or is it just capped at some number?

15 hours ago, elend said:

My opinion: Waaay to hard for me of course. Honestly, I am always playing on ITYTD and have problems even on this "skill". Everybody tells me to "always keep moving in Doom" and yeah, I am trying. What happens often is, that I run straight into Caco or Imp fire. xD Also, in videos I sometimes see people walking around the map absolutely effortlessly, whereas I am getting stuck on almost anything. I just don't know what I am doing wrong.

Yes! Absolutely elend. I agree with you 100%.

There have been a number of times that I have watched videos of people playing maps and thought, "But I did that! I went exactly that way and did that same thing! Only I died!" Of course, looking back at it, those videos are smooth and flowing and feature players with a lot of skill displaying their skill gunning down enemies with seeming ease, My performances, on the other hand, tend to look like someone half-running into walls while firing in the general direction of enemies and not hitting them. Pro-tip: It's hard to kill enemies if you don't hit them when you shoot at them.

As for the OP:

On 6/3/2020 at 6:27 PM, TheStupidestBeing said:

"Why do people always act like Ultra-Violence is the default difficulty for Doom?"

This opinion has been around since the early days of Doom and has persisted across the history of the community. You can find early maps on idgames where the only difficulty is UV because "This is Doom!"

Somebody should make a troll wad where the monster & item counts are heavily reversed, so that UV is boring easy, HMP is hard, and ITYTD/HNTR is impossible. Nobody will check, and you will have a very strange mix of reviews.

Edited by dr_st

Besides the extreme difficulty, I prefer anything from UV to lower, because I like to clean all enemies in a level (and if I missed someone I might search around). And I like the feeling of carefully clearing an area maybe from strategic places and then enter the are victoriously with all the bodies and move to the next area. I also like to take my time and search for secrets at my own pace. Even if I watch speedrunners from time to time, that's not my prefer style of play. In Nightmare, everything will respawn again and doesn't give you a breath.

When I started recording speedruns in the Nightmare with 100% Secrets category many years ago, I came to a strange realisation—played within those constraints Nightmare was actually the most fun Doom difficulty level. This surprised me because, like many players, before that I considered the skill level to be  a joke. As others have explained in this thread, id supposedly only added it to troll players who complained UV that was too easy, and the combination of fast and respawning monsters ups the ante so much that even a highly skilled play has essentially no chance playing a level on Nightmare blind.

However, this imposed necessity of strategic forethought in NM blunts the criticism that Doom is a "mindless" shooter. If UV can be approached a combat gauntlet, NM is more akin to a resource management puzzle. Routing in UV is an optimisation technique, in NM it is the only means of survival. Unless you understand exactly where you are, what you're doing, and what your plan to survive the level is, you are going to die, and quickly. And when it works, successfully executing a NM route of your own invention is incredibly satisfying. Many modern slaughter maps explicitly try to create this kind of resource management puzzle, but I'd argue you can get it quite cheaply by loading up a map you know by heart on UV and trying to figure out how to beat it on NM.

I since I started playing Doom game on Ultra Violence and it became my default difficulty favorite, any Doom game I play has to be on ultra violence

When I first got into Doom, I was drawn to UV solely because I got a kick out of large numbers of monster corpses.

Times change though.  Nowadays, I tend to see the higher monster count of UV as more busywork.  As mappers get better at creating a tight resource balance, UV also feels more rigid.  HMP usually leaves me satiated and will be more forgiving of mistakes and non-optimal play.

Ultra-violence because theres more enemies! Is there another reason why other people choose it other than to flex their skillage or just to blast more stuff away?