Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Marty2Doom

Search a DOS Doom Port with Mouse look and GUS Support

Hello @ll,

I am looking for a DOS doom port with a mouse look and which is the most compatible with the original DOS doom.
The background is I would like to try out and play all of the Level CD'S that I have here in the closet under my DOSBox Fork, but if possible with a mouse look and where you could set the resolution to 800x600 or higher, maybe even with Soundblaster and GUS support.

Does such a port exist?

Edited by Marty2Doom

6 hours ago, Marty2Doom said:

Hello @ll,

I am looking for a DOS doom port with a mouse look and which is the most compatible with the original DOS doom.
The background is I would like to try out and play all of the Level CD'S that I have here in the closet under my DOSBox Fork, but if possible with a mouse look and where you could set the resolution to 800x600 or higher, maybe even with Soundblaster and GUS support.

Does such a port exist?

For a second i was thinking you were making a specialized Doombox build derived from DOSBox (Impressive fork though!)

Ill list out the latest DOS doom ports available if needed, but the combination of your requests (And mouselook, And most compatible with original DOS, AND 800x600 resolution) is quite unusual. If it has to be most compatible, then mouselook is automaticaly out since that's not a Vanilla feature. So what exactly do you mean with ''most compatible''?

One i can think of is an unofficial Eternity-DOS release (v3.39.20-7). The official latest Eternity DOS is here.

I see, haha. No.

By compatible I mean the source port as a replacement for the regular Doom exe when I try out the Level CD's in Dosbox.

That the source port has no problems with pwads or dehacked files. For Vanilla under DOS I can also use the original version.

Would be great if, like Duke Nukem, a DOS source port with Mousle look, GUS and like Blood can choose the resolution up to 1600x1200.

I try the unofficial / Eternity-DOS.
many thanks :)

On 6/4/2020 at 11:30 AM, Marty2Doom said:

By compatible I mean the source port as a replacement for the regular Doom exe when I try out the Level CD's in Dosbox.

Then i would just go with any Boom derived DOS build since it does everything you suggest except those high resolutions and perhaps mouselook. High resolutions in DOS are not that common either, anyway.

What stops you from going to Windows though? Things like Woof, Crispy Doom or Doom Retro provide various QoL enhancements that you seek, and high resolutions, whilst remain close to Vanilla.

Russian Doom for DOS may have some of what you want but there's the teeny little problem of the game being in Russian only, though a little birdie told me that will soon change.

Regardless, programming for MS-DOS is difficult and a rare skill, so beggars cannot be choosers when it comes to DOS ports.

So have tried some.

Eternal Engine 3.39.20

has Mouse look and getting ~ 70FPS with 256MB in my DOSBox Fork (PentiumPro CPU Settings) with VideoMode 3 (without page flipping) (640x400). No GUS Support

Legacy 1.41

also has Mouselook ~ 64FPS with 256MB in my DOSBox Fork (PentiumPro CPU Settings) with 640x400. No GUS Support

SMMU

also has a mouse look and runs ~ 63FPS with 256MB in my DOSBox Fork (PentiumPro CPU Settings) (without page flipping) (640x400). SMMU can not be renamed DOOM.exe then does not start but it has Gravis Ultrasound.

And everyone use the CRT Lotte shader :)

MBF and alternatives have no mouse look. I'm a mouselook guy even if I'm over 40.

I'm looking forward to the Russian DOS port. I tried the port. But the language ....

greetings

28 minutes ago, Marty2Doom said:

I'm looking forward to the Russian DOS port. I tried the port. But the language ....

greetings

The author is close to enabling English support on that similar to how the mainline Russian Doom has that option.

There is also Doom Vanille.

Doom Vanille is a "Fork" of PCdoom.  Hm.. It's worth a try.

At time i play with the Soundfont Convert from Eternal Engine and my SF2 Collection.

Are you sure you want GUS support, considering you're using a DOSbox variant?

Instead of GUS, maybe go with MPU-401 (General MIDI) output. DOSbox redirects anything sent there to the system MIDI synthesizer; you can then configure any fancy MIDI output you like. You can even set up Timidity++ with the GUS patch set if you really want. 

Not exactly what you asked for but it might open up some more options.

That would be an option :), but my Dosbox Fork used the Enhanced GUS and SB Emulation from Dosbox-X :)

2 hours ago, Marty2Doom said:

Russian Doom for DOS is based of Doom Vanille. 

For GUS in DOSBox, I'd recommend the PPL160 patch set. I've never been able to find better patches. 

Hi! I'll be short - English language in RD for DOS now completely implemented back. Switching is absolutely similar to the main version, but I'm thinking to set English language to default, since more and more non-russian speakers are interested in RD port, and I definitely don't want anyone to be confused by Cyrillic menus. There is also tons of other improvements, and the project is in release-ready condition, but no changelog composed yet (frankly, it's always most unexciting job to do).

Mouse look is working as well as GUS, but there is one interesting thing - running in DOSBox, Doom startup takes about extra 10 seconds to load GUS patches from `C:\ULTRASND\`, but with Fraggle's gusgoona fix it's working well and sounds awesome. :)

Edit: it's released! https://github.com/JNechaevsky/russian-doom/issues/202

Edited by Julia Nechaevskaya : Version 1.8 released