Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sirjuddington

SLADE Thread (v3.1.13, 01/June/2021)

title.png

Thought it might be a good idea to create a thread here at DW for SLADE general discussion and release announcements, similar to the thread over at the ZDoom forums.

I'll update this post with the latest release and changelog as they come.

Latest Release Changelog (v3.1.13)

Spoiler

General

• Updated ZDoom, MAPINFO and ACS language definitions (thanks @Blue-Shadow)
  • Updated SRB2 Lua language definition (thanks @SteelTitanium)
  • Added extra UDMF flags (thanks @Gaerzi)

Texture Editor

• Fixed an issue with the 'optional' keyword in TEXTURES

Map Editor

• Various improvements and fixes to texture handling and precedence (thanks @Talon1024)

Download Links

I also just yesterday released the first beta build of the upcoming SLADE v3.2.0 if anyone's interested in testing it out. See the changes here.

Edited by sirjuddington : updated release notes for 3.1.13

@sirjuddington Your link's buggered - it is linking to a 3.1.2 beta. Proper link is https://slade.mancubus.net/index.php?page=changes&beta=1&v=3.2.0_b1

Also, time to see if that fixes that old "sounds not playing" bug I mentioned way back when. I've found that SOME formats (like MP3) still play fine, but regular Doom sounds, MP3s, MIDIs, tracker formats, etc. were all knackered.

EDIT: Yup, sadly still are. I do like the cleaner look though! A proper dark theme would be kinda neat sometime down the line.

Edited by Dark Pulse

36 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

EDIT: Yup, sadly still are. I do like the cleaner look though! A proper dark theme would be kinda neat sometime down the line.

Hmm, I really have no idea what that might be then apart from some kind of issue SFML has with your audio driver. Do you have a USB headset or something that has its own driver? If so, see if it works when using that.

And yeah a dark UI theme is something that's been requested a lot, unfortunately implementing that would mean switching to a different UI toolkit such as Qt, which means rewriting the entire UI from scratch. Something I'd actually really like to do eventually, but it would take a very long time during which SLADE wouldn't be getting any major updates like new features etc.

4 minutes ago, sirjuddington said:

Hmm, I really have no idea what that might be then apart from some kind of issue SFML has with your audio driver. Do you have a USB headset or something that has its own driver? If so, see if it works when using that.

That's actually what I'm using now (a Logitech G933). So nope, it's not that. And again, older versions do work (3.1.2 = A-OK), so some change somewhere along the line caused things to screw up.

19 minutes ago, sirjuddington said:

And yeah a dark UI theme is something that's been requested a lot, unfortunately implementing that would mean switching to a different UI toolkit such as Qt

Is this due to some kind of release bundling? Because when I compile SLADE on my local machine with the latest wxWidgets, I get Dark Theming without any problem.

image.png.670d54c8edfcea96b5eb12a1d9328663.png

1 minute ago, JadingTsunami said:

Is this due to some kind of release bundling? Because when I compile SLADE on my local machine with the latest wxWidgets, I get Dark Theming without any problem.

He's talking about the theme on windows. wxWidgets uses OS-native controls, and since windows doesn't have a dark theme (not in win32 apps at least), SLADE also doesn't have a dark theme on windows. On linux it's the same, just there you *can* have a dark theme for the OS.

Hey @sirjuddington, thanks for all your work on SLADE, it's such an invaluable tool. I have a few minor issues/request for it; is Github still the best place to post those?

8 hours ago, plums said:

Hey @sirjuddington, thanks for all your work on SLADE, it's such an invaluable tool. I have a few minor issues/request for it; is Github still the best place to post those?

Yeah GitHub is still the best place for any bug reports / feature requests

3.2.0 Beta 2 is now up, with a new entry list that displays as a tree structure for archives that support directories (among other things).

@sirjuddington Happy to report you seem to have slayed the music format playback issue - using my usual testing WAD for this (Dark Tartarus) as it has a mix of MP3/Ogg/Tracker/MIDI music, each and every song is playing fine in SLADE now. :)

(Or maybe I had a weirdly buggered INI or something, but trying to delete that in earlier versions didn't seem to work. But it sure is now!)

That's good to hear. I'm wondering if it was something to do with wxMediaCtrl (beta 2 removes this completely since it was only being used to play mp3s, which are now played via a different library). The only other audio related change is the Timidity playback fixes, but I can't see how that would have affected non-MIDI audio.

Maybe. For completeness' sake I also tested the original IWADs to see if MUS and Doom-format SFX/Speaker FX play fine, and those all do.

So at the very least I no longer have to keep dusty old versions of SLADE on my PC for music/sound-related purposes :)

Yea, my old version of Slade kept yelling at me to update, so I tried the beta one.

UI felt weird but that's probably just cuz I'm used to the old UI, and images refused to load (Sprites, ASCII, title screen, ect)
unstable.png.9c2e5f3b86eb352062cd4c76effc9876.png This is where the title screen should be
Midi was also finicky to run, but I think that was just an issue with Timidity.

New stable update workin pretty good though from what I've used. Images still appear out of bounds but it doesn't kill me.
stable.png.72dd1731f5aabe8fca5bb9f7d2d31989.png also my title screen but out of bounds in the stable version of slade.

I've been using 3.2 beta (Windows) for a while - seems pretty stable, though I am by no means a power user.

@forgettablepyromaniac, regarding the image offset thing - IIRC, I was caught out by something similar. Turned out it was just the offset spinners at the bottom or perhaps the graphic type dropdown (this affects where the origin is):

GRAPHIC:

image.png.f36990eb6e272da4a990c92f2317103c.png

SPRITE:

image.png.3d79aa642eee9c8f1ec6e891adef1b1a.png

HUD:

image.png.788cd76385f3e349247c837f73b0c9d7.png

Is this what you mean?

9 minutes ago, smeghammer said:

Regarding the image offset thing - IIRC, I was caught out by something similar. Turned out it was just the offset spinners at the bottom or perhaps the graphic type dropdown (this affects where the origin is):

Nope, both offsets are set to 0 which should be the top left of the little checkerboard thingie, and the down thing is set to auto which should just set it to graphic.

Beta looks really nice! Are there plans to add UMAPINFO in the drop-down menu for text-based lumps? I don't know what you call that feature but it's the one where everything is really nicely highlighted.

18 hours ago, forgettablepyromaniac said:

Nope, both offsets are set to 0 which should be the top left of the little checkerboard thingie, and the down thing is set to auto which should just set it to graphic.

That looks like some kind of driver issue, not sure what else would cause it, possibly wxWidgets related also. Not sure there's much I can do about it, especially since I can't reproduce it anywhere.

13 hours ago, maxmanium said:

Beta looks really nice! Are there plans to add UMAPINFO in the drop-down menu for text-based lumps? I don't know what you call that feature but it's the one where everything is really nicely highlighted.

Is there a spec for it anywhere? Shouldn't be too hard to add.

13 hours ago, Dark Pulse said:

Sprite editing is still totally busted... disappointing.

@sirjuddington I opened an issue on that over a month ago on the tracker, hopefully this can be fixed kinda soonish?

Yeah it'll be fixed before 3.2.0 is released, personally I haven't looked at it much yet (was implemented by Gez and did work originally) but hopefully it's a simple enough fix.

Sorry for double post, but can we get a feature to apply a palette translation to multiple graphics lumps at once?

2 minutes ago, maxmanium said:

Sorry for double post, but can we get a feature to apply a palette translation to multiple graphics lumps at once?

Can you explain more precisely what you mean? Because I can see two different meanings for that, and both are already possible to do in batch.

Option 1: paletted translation, aka colour remap: select a bunch of pictures, right click on the selection, go graphics->colour remap, there you go. It'll apply to every picture in the selection.

Option 2: translate from one palette to another: select a bunch of pictures, then click on "convert gfx to..." and then keep the same image format but choose different source and destination palettes. Then hit "convert all".

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Can you explain more precisely what you mean? Because I can see two different meanings for that, and both are already possible to do in batch.

Option 1: paletted translation, aka colour remap: select a bunch of pictures, right click on the selection, go graphics->colour remap, there you go. It'll apply to every picture in the selection.

Option 2: translate from one palette to another: select a bunch of pictures, then click on "convert gfx to..." and then keep the same image format but choose different source and destination palettes. Then hit "convert all".

I was talking about the first one, somehow I had no idea you could do that.

On 6/2/2021 at 10:07 AM, sirjuddington said:

Yeah it'll be fixed before 3.2.0 is released, personally I haven't looked at it much yet (was implemented by Gez and did work originally) but hopefully it's a simple enough fix.

Had a buddy build a compiled version now that you got the fix in and can confirm it's all working again. :)

This may be outside the scope of Slade, but me being me I was curious and opened the Doom 64 WAD generated from the reverse engineered code (https://github.com/Erick194/DOOM64-RE). I noticed exporting the levels from Slade and surprisingly discovered that they were only bytes in size at times (which is too small). So I did another test. I copied all of the contents of the Doom 64 WAD over to a new WAD within Slade. Upon saving the new WAD I found it was around 23 kb smaller. It would load in with the compiled source code, but crash when the first level was loaded. My guess from that test, is that Slade is not grouping that 23 kb of data. But I guess that can be understandable given the somewhat exotic nature of the Doom 64 WAD.

For some reason, when I try to replace a doom 2 sound effect with a .wav, it just deletes the sound.

It also deletes the sound when I bookmark it.

I've tried looking it up, and I can't seem to find anyone else having the same problem.

Please help me.